RE: Writer and researcher requests your help.

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 25, 2002
      Nov 25 2002

      Dear Friend:

      I would appreciate some answers so as to better help you.

      Would not "practices" follow the choosing of "values."

      How are "values" selected and identified impartially?

      Is there a scale that provides us with great impartiality and entire
      accuracy such definitions?

      One of the best sources in legend and fable are of course the Aesop
      Fables, or the "Fables de La Fontaine." The Chaldean, Assyrian,
      Egyptian, Chinese and Japanese traditions abound with these.

      World-wide parallels are made clear by comparison. Joseph Campbell
      has already done some of this work. But it can be improved.

      A comparison of the Theogonies and "Creation Myths" from the past
      ought also to be considered.

      Then half a world away one will find: the Hittopadesa, and the
      Panchatantra, and the stories of the great Kings: RAMAYANA and
      MAHABHARATA, also the Buddha's JATAKA STORIES, in India. A good
      number of translations of these are currently available. [ See also
      Ethel Beswick: TALES OF Hindu GODS AND HEROES - Jaico Books,
      Bombay. ]

      One of the best books to consult is Sister Nevedita's CRADLE TALES OF
      HINDUISM (Advaita Ashrama Press) .

      Personal stories -- unless appended to the first two items above as
      illustrations, will swim under their own power of course, but there
      ought to be enough similarities to make groupings.

      But what is central to this?

      Our eyes now sweep over the legendary and the historical past. We
      then rise over the Earth, and in a day we encompass the many places
      where legends and places originated -- where they then took place
      (and in which we may have participated if reincarnation is a fact and
      the Soul of man is an immortal) -- as the modern Earth revolves under
      us. And we sadly realise that many a secret from our past has been
      lost to us by the crude fanaticism of invaders and the march of
      ignorant and careless troupes. One need only visit a few truly
      ancient monuments around the world (even using the NATIONAL
      GEOGRAPHIC) to realize that the science of mathematics and
      architecture was alive and well centuries ago.

      What criteria shall we adopt?

      Can we distinguish, can any philosophy or science distinguish
      accurately vice from virtue? What criteria shall be adopted. Shall
      we use the shifting sands and speculative floods of the various tides
      of psychology? Where is fact and wisdom stored ?

      Lets take the Theosophical suggestion that we live in essentially a
      mutually interactive and cooperative World. We then, looking closely,
      discern innumerable evidences of mutual support in the world's life
      and present living. Brotherhood - is a porte-manteau word -- that
      includes all such.

      There is a long way between observation and the recording of events,
      and finding out what DRIVES THEM.

      Are there ANY LAWS OF ETHICS AND MORALITY that transcend argument?

      Your research appears t me to be another way of investigating
      "purpose" in the fragments of the past.

      Does Nature (meaning the Universe in all its aspects) show evidence of
      impartial cooperation and general support? How do "accidents" occur?
      How are "providential escapes" arranged for ? Is there any underlying
      logic in these ideas? Do the ancient Hindus have a good idea when
      they spoke of karma, and the impartial justice and fairness of the
      Universe ?

      I do hope these discursive words and ideas are of some help.

      Best wishes,

      Dallas

      ps:

      As an example try reading Mme. Blavatsky's ISIS UNVEILED, and, 2,
      the small collection of stories under the title THE TELL TALE PICTURE
      GALLERY.

      I am taking the liberty of spreading your request to some others
      interested in what you are doing.