TS Election - Policy of Silence - A speculation

  • .:.MKR777
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2014
      The unity shown by GC members in maintaining the public silence policy is amazing. We all know the conditions following the 2008 election and today it is a miracle that all the factions are united in enforcing the public silence policy.

      Since ordinary members like you and me are not privy to what went on behind the scenes, before the start of the election, the only thing we can do is to speculate. One common thread running through all GC members is that they are all members of ES. One possibility is that Radhaji saw bringing in a Western successor may repair the polarization that followed the last election. To implement this solution, is it possible that she had communicated her wishes to all GC members and reminded them implicitly or explicitly that it is her wish as the OH and even suggested that following a policy of strict silence would ensure its success.

      Even during HPB days, she has canceled ES membership of several well known members. So anyone not following Radhaji’s wish may be asked to leave ES by her successor. So the fear of such a possibility may be the driving force behind forced unity we see among GC members in their silence.

      The policy of silence during a democratic election is very hard to justify. Since no simple convincing reason could be found, a quote from Bro Sri Ram addressing a lodge election was presented for public consumption as applicable in the International Election.

      Many members saw that the quote is inapplicable in the current situation when most members virtually know very little about the two candidates and many wanted to get key information about the candidates and their plans on key issues affecting the future of Adyar and TS.

      If anyone has anything to add, feel free to share them.

      MKR