Re: On out of the body experiences.

  • bri_mue
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 9, 2002
      There are several ways in which consciousness might, arguably, be
      involved in the ganzfeld, but there appears to be no direct evidence
      that it is. For example, even in a very successful experiment the
      hits are mixed with many misses and the subjects themselves cannot
      say which is which (if they could the successful trials could be
      separated out and even better results obtained). In other words, the
      subject is unaware of the ESP even when it is occurring.

      The effects of consciousness on physical systems" (In that sense
      Radin's book of 1989 that i mentioned is already outdated) I
      think there is no justification for this title. In these experiments
      a subject typically sits in front of a computer screen and tries to
      influence the output of some kind of random number generator (RNG),
      whose output is reflected in the display. Alternatively they might
      listen to randomly generated tones with the intention of making more
      of the tones high, or low, as requested, or they might try to affect
      the fall of randomly scattered balls or various other systems. The
      direction of aim is usually randomised and appropriate control trials
      are often run. It is claimed that, in extremely large numbers of
      trials, subjects are able to influence the output of the RNG. Is this
      an effect of consciousness on a physical system?
      Bri.