Tenets of TS

  • ramadoss@gbronline.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2002
      One of the frequent questions that come up and debated, is the tenets,
      doctrines, philosophy of the TS. And here sometimes there is some
      confusion. Can an atheist and one who does not believe is anything unless
      it is scientifically proven be a member of TS? Surely yes. How does on
      reconcile this when we observe many members having a strong belief or faith
      in the philosophy propounded by HPB?

      In Key to Theosophy, HPB has explained this question of tenets, doctrines
      etc. Here is the quote from the end of Section IV of Key.

      ----
      ENQUIRER. But surely those few who have felt the need of such truths must
      have made up their minds to believe in something definite? You tell me
      that, the Society having no doctrines of its own, every member may believe
      as he chooses and accept what he pleases. This looks as if the Theosophical
      Society was bent upon reviving the confusion of languages and beliefs of
      the Tower of Babel of old. Have you no beliefs in common?

      THEOSOPHIST. What is meant by the Society having no tenets or doctrines of
      its own is, that no special doctrines or beliefs are obligatory on its
      members; but, of course, this applies only to the body as a whole. The
      Society, as you were told, is divided into an outer and an inner body.
      Those who belong to the latter have, of course, a philosophy, or -- if you
      so prefer it -- a religious system of their own.

      ENQUIRER. May we be told what it is?

      THEOSOPHIST. We make no secret of it. It was outlined a few years ago in
      the Theosophist and "Esoteric Buddhism," and may be found still more
      elaborated in the "Secret Doctrine." It is based on the oldest philosophy
      of the world, called the Wisdom-Religion or the Archaic Doctrine. If you
      like, you may ask questions and have them explained. >>>