TS and Internet

  • .:.
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 21, 2013
      If you take a look at the TS-Adyar website, you will notice the conspicuous absence of the January 2013 Watch Tower Notes while you will find every other recent months including September. The January 2013 issue of Theosophist contains the President’s Address to the 137th International Convention held in December 2012.

      Recently, I was able to secure a copy of the Presidential Address. One para in the address touches upon Internet. Here is the excerpt of the para.

      The Internet presence of the T.S. in America is said to be growing. The General Secretary says: ‘It is common knowledge today that the Internet is a premier research tool for the global population.’ This information is not exactly correct because there are countries in the poor regions which do not have the facilities of the American Section and therefore it is not correct to say that the internet presence is the most notable area of growth.

      MKR Comments:

      The role of Internet in today’s world need no explanation. Everyone in the literary world knows about it and what impact it had on the world. As everyone knows, it has made dissemination of information and researching information and instant communication possible to the common man and woman. It is a tool which moved the power of information dissemination from organizations to the ordinary individual. The stranglehold organizations had in controlling the channel of communication has been destroyed.

      Spiritual organizations which traditionally functioned top down with control of the channel of communication today do not know how to deal with the Internet phenomenon. So they have chosen to avoid using Internet except in static websites hoping the masses will come to them. The powerful aspect of Internet is its capability in multi directional instant interaction. This is an area that most spiritual organizational leaders have chosen to ignore. TS which was once in the vanguard using leading edge tools has failed to recognize the power of Internet and has avoided using any of the multi directional instant communication capabilities.

      Take for example there are no surviving discussion groups sponsored by TS. Even the few that are available to theosophical students are the result of creativity of a few individual theosophists and are independent of all organizations. While these are free forums available to anyone, in the last more than a decade, we have seen just one or two of the elected leaders of TS ever participating in them. Possibly it may be due to the ignorance of the leaders as what Internet can do and much of this can be attributed to most of the elected leaders are very old and the followers seem to take the cue and avoid Internet. Internet is not going to go away. Its presence and its influence in the matters of the world is growing every day.

      The power of Internet communication was demonstrated in the 2008 Election of the International President. All the behind the scenes activity in the electioneering took place thru e-mails. When and if we see the e-mail traffic, it would be most entertaining in that they would reveal many of the leaders in their true colors. Let us also not forget the members world wide were kept informed of the developments round the clock by Internet forums. Also, it was the Internet that was responsible for breaking the news about the ultra secret attempt by a few elected leaders to seize control of the International Presidency by disenfranchising members world wide. In pre Internet era, members would have been deliberately kept in the dark by some of the elected leaders and members mislead by inaccurate information and the well planned scheme to take control of the Presidency.

      While Internet is not available to everyone in the world. Even in the affluent West, there are a lot of people who do not have access to Internet. But Internet is a force to be reckoned with and made use for the furtherance of theosophy to benefit the world.

      MKR

    • .:.MKR777
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 8, 2013

        Members for several years have to get important news thru Internet forums such as this. Where did you learn about Radha Burnier's passing away. Not from TS sites. Even Adyar website has nothing. Are the movers and shakers still in 20th century mindset. It is a real pitiful state of affairs. Lot of action may be going on in higher planes, but action on physical plane cannot be ignored. Let us pray to the higher powers to shed some enlightenment on those who are responsible for action here and now.

        PS: I am writing this message from my tablet waiting for a flight in the airport courtesy of free WiFi.

      • Sampsa Kuukasjärvi
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 8, 2013
          Yes, this is a pitiful situation. Websites are not updated. News are old or they are not told at all. E-mails are not answered. This is the state of affairs at Adyar and in many Sections! TS loses a lot of seekers, because its communication is not handled.

          Radha made a big mistake when she didn't think about technology and communication. I have understood that it was not her habit to listen to any advise.

          But in speeches everything is great, because TS is so spiritual. Hush, it is superficial and unbrotherly to talk about technology and organisational matters! Young people don't know anything. It is totally ok that octogenarians are in offices!

          2013/11/8 .:.MKR777 <mkr777@...>

          Members for several years have to get important news thru Internet forums such as this. Where did you learn about Radha Burnier's passing away. Not from TS sites. Even Adyar website has nothing. Are the movers and shakers still in 20th century mindset. It is a real pitiful state of affairs. Lot of action may be going on in higher planes, but action on physical plane cannot be ignored. Let us pray to the higher powers to shed some enlightenment on those who are responsible for action here and now.

          PS: I am writing this message from my tablet waiting for a flight in the airport courtesy of free WiFi.

        • thalprin
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 8, 2013

            Truth be told you all do a wonderful service.

            I heard of Radha's passing via this group; thanks for letting us know.

            The internet is a very organized and useful medium as it is proven time and time again.

            MKR - I hope your wishes come true, because they are reasonable - but let me ask you this where do you suppose we should draw the line between esoteric (inner) and exoteric (outer) teachings or as an informational service (or, enlightenment machine) do you think that we should lay it all out on the table as public teachings?

            Also, (Open Question) I wonder what do folks hope Theosophy would accomplish?  What is it you want or envision theosophy to do or be?  What is it of Theosophy that you'd hope the world could see, know, or learn?

            Terrie

              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 8, 2013
                On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 10:01 AM, Sampsa Kuukasjärvi <sampsa.kuukasjarvi@...> wrote:

                Yes, this is a pitiful situation. Websites are not updated. News are old or they are not told at all. E-mails are not answered. This is the state of affairs at Adyar and in many Sections! TS loses a lot of seekers, because its communication is not handled.
                Internet communication is round the clock and has world coverage. In this environment, any website is not just enough. Info becomes old by the time it is posted. And, visitors make occasional visits to websites. Message broadcast as new info becomes available is needed and based on a data base of email addresses of members and others interested. Unidirectional communications of the print and TV and Radio age has been taken over by multi-directional communication of Internet. It has not been tapped.

                Radha made a big mistake when she didn't think about technology and communication. I have understood that it was not her habit to listen to any advise.
                When she used electricity, telephone, computer word processing, automobile, not using digital technology is not understandable. I know for fact that she used email, though sparingly. II am sure presentations were made to her about digital world and Internet and their potential.  In addition. during the election, she saw how quickly correct information about her health was broadcast when mis-information was being fed to the members by some leaders with the sole motive of defeating her. She also witnessed how the ultra-secret attempt to seize the power to appoint the President was thwarted because Internet was available to broadcast the daring attempt by some leaders. With all of the above, how she could not see the potential of Internet to further the interests of Theosophy is not understandable.

                But in speeches everything is great, because TS is so spiritual. Hush, it is superficial and unbrotherly to talk about technology and organisational matters! Young people don't know anything. It is totally ok that octogenarians are in offices!
                We all know that all the wisdom does not reside exclusively in octogenarians (some leaders seem to think so as seen many of them making a bee line for programs at the ES controlled entities such as Krotona) and grass roots level activity is the foundation for the future of theosophy.

                It is fundamental law that growing organizations have leaders who are in the middle age. This was demonstrated by Olcott and HPB. Both were in the middle age. All leaders of great movements - temporal and spiritual - have always been in middle age and not old age!

                Message 7 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
                  In many places (Lodges, Sections and General Council) it is like that. Future of the work is not being thought.

                  Radha was 89 (almost 90) when she passed away. Current International Vice-President of TS M.P. Singhal is 81.

                  Of course there are also some young officers, but few are under 60.

                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
                    Good points, MKR!

                    When visitors see that websites are not updated often, they drop visiting websites, and organisations lose potential members.

                    Unupdated pages give a very bad image about the function of the Society to visitors and also to TS members.

                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 9, 2013
                            Most younger leaders are too busy earning a living to become sufficiently active to get anywhere, which means that the retirees tend to take over.

                            Bart

                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 10, 2013
                          Bart, that is true, of course, i admit. However, I believe there are also other factors, which prohibit younger people working, like the lack of discussion, the attitude that older people know things better than the young and that the number of members is not as important as their quality.

                          The fact that Radha was also the Outer Head of the Esoteric School was unhealthy. It seems that some members didn't dare to criticize her in purely administrative affairs, because they had given her a loyalty vow in spiritual matters. And Radha also mixed those offices with each other.

                          I think theosophists must talk about these things openly. It is not honest just to praise her work. One friend of mine said that he wishes that TS Adyar will finally shift from the Brezhnevian stagnation to glasnost.

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 10 2:31 PM
                            When printing was invented, it made it possible for a document produced in multiple copies and distributed. Radio and television also followed unidirectional broadcasting. All that changed when Internet got integrated into the daily lives.

                            The uniqueness of Internet is its facilitating multi-directional real time interaction. This was speeded up with the invention of wireless phones and tablet computers owned by the consumers. Then came social forums which speeded it further.

                            In the pre-Internet world, the medium of communication was controlled by those who printed and distributed information. Internet changed all that and control was no longer feasible. Due to the velocity of interchange of communication, it became impossible to take any control.

                            In the above environment, all organizations faced a daunting task. Moving from an environment where the organization had total control of the medium, to one they cannot control, most organizations did not know how to handle their communication in the new environment. While the new environment presented great opportunities, organizations did not know how to effectively and efficiently use it to further their objectives. It also brought about a new level of transparency where it is almost impossible to keep information secret.

                            Initially, organizations tried to replicate the unidirectional mode of operation and met with very limited success. They tried using mailing lists with heavy moderation and found that users do not like heavy moderation and from a logistical angle it was impossible to manage when traffic picked up. Many mailing lists, as a result, died a natural death.

                            TS also faced the same technological change issues and still today have not been able to deal with it. Continued use of obsolete practice has resulted in TS falling deeply behind the curve. One way the leaders reacted is just to ignore the rapid changes taking place and deal with a captive audience who have been patient all these years.

                            With younger generation growing up in the new technological environment, if TS has to reach them, needs to reform their approach and move with the times. While TS may want to present Ancient Wisdom, it cannot be done using outmoded means.

                            It is time that we brainstorm and find effective means of using Internet for propagation of Theosophy in the world.

                            MKR
                            .
                          • Bart Lidofsky
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 10 7:43 PM
                              On 2/10/2014 5:31 PM, .:.MKR777 wrote:

                              When printing was invented, it made it possible for a document produced in multiple copies and distributed. Radio and television also followed unidirectional broadcasting. All that changed when Internet got integrated into the daily lives.

                                  I guess you never heard of BBS's.

                                  Bart
                            • Morten Nymann Olesen
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 11 12:15 PM
                                Dear MKR and all readers

                                My views are:

                                I tend to agree upon all the below by you, MKR.

                                And....I will seek to be of further service to all genuine theosophical seekers after truth and wisdom by adding some comments to it all.

                                MKR wrote:
                                "Initially, organizations tried to replicate the unidirectional mode of operation and met with very limited success. They tried using mailing lists with heavy moderation and found that users do not like heavy moderation and from a logistical angle it was impossible to manage when traffic picked up. Many mailing lists, as a result, died a natural death.

                                M. Sufilight says:
                                The above words  by MKR are central, as far as I am concerned.

                                The previous communicative model with exchanges only in private paper letters between Theosophical Society members - or - articles allowed by the Corresponding Secretary of the Theosophical Society within the Theosphical journals or magazines, or more or less official TS lectures and meetings - are no longer the only means of communication-exchanges between the members of the Theosophical Society. The use of FAST Internet forums and mailing lists cross-countries has changed this old method into something else among many members of the Society.

                                However, one aught perhaps to keep in mind, that the Esoteric Section during Annie Besant's reign instigated a  - so to speak - NEW doctrine of communication. A doctrine of communication between members of the Esoteric Section, which seems, (ie. seems), to have been kept pretty much intact until today among all General Counsil representatives as well as the two present year 2014 Presidential Candidates. What do you the readers thing about this when reading the below words?

                                Joy Dixon author of "Divine Feminine: Theosophy and Feminism in England" reveals in the book the following about it....

                                Joy Dixon writes and in fact documents something very interesting about the establishment of an Orthodox theosophical Sectarian Creed by Annie Besant within the TS:
                                "Besant herself stressed that members of the TS should not accept her teachings, or the teachings of the Masters, uncritically. Her presidential address in 1911, however, made clear that her position as the Masters' representative allowed her to affirm even as she renounced personal spiritual authority: “Some of you may say: 'Yes, but you are right.' That may be. It is very likely that I am; for I know, on these matters, far more than any one of you can know. But that is not a reason why you should believe.”25 The dispute over Besant's election, and over the place of the Masters within the TS, was a dispute about what kind of spiritual authority and practice would be institutionalized within the Theosophical Society.

                                For many ordinary theosophists, access to the Masters and to spiritual experience itself came through the Esoteric Section of the TS. Through carefully structured ritual activities, the ES shaped personal spiritual experiences in new ways. Within the ES, classes were formed for the study of documents specified by Besant as the head of the school. The documents themselves were carefully chosen. The methods of study were clearly laid out as well, for esoteric documents were to be studied by esoteric means. Classes were run through dialogue rather than lecture, and students were not permitted to read from prepared notes. When a point had been satisfactorily elucidated, all were to hold their thoughts upon it, “uniting in a brief meditation.” These techniques were intended to develop the powers of thinking and remembering, and to discipline the mind.26

                                These were clearly not ordinary study meetings of the kind that had been typical of the TS in 1890s. [Very true!; added by M. Sufilight]. Besant made it clear that when the ritual passwords were exchanged, the members passed through “the psychic gateway,” out of the “atmosphere of the world into the atmosphere of the Great Lodge” of the Masters. Behaviour was to be “reverent, quiet and controlled. All noise, all unnecessary movement, should be avoided; the voice should be gentle, the mind stilled.” The sacred portraits of the Masters themselves should, whenever possible, be displayed in the meeting room and reverently saluted with the silent thought, “Homage to the Divine Teacher.” Dissent was not to be openly expressed, as what one student might dislike could be helpful to another. Argument and laughter were discouraged, as “these cause disturbing ripples in the stream of thought.” At the end of the meeting, after the chanting of the “sacred word,” they saluted the sacred portraits once again, and left the room in silence.27 It was emphasized that the sounds and words uttered in the ES meetings were powerful tools, which could harm an untrained person of impure life who might overhear them.28

                                Even in the wider community that was the TS itself – still governed by democratic structures, run by a bureaucracy, and apparently quite separate from the ES – theosophical life changed to reflect the fact that the TS was not merely a voluntary association but a spiritual community.

                                Several lodges now introduced devotional services, which supplemented the public lectures that had been the mainstay of the theosophical propaganda. "...." In December 1914 came the announcement that Sunday devotional meetings were to be held at the TS headquarters in Tavistock Square, which made organized devotion and worship an official part of the society's activities in England.33 Although some criticized the move as an abandonment of the theosophical principles, most members welcomed the new departure."
                                (A FEW EXCERPTS FROM chapter 3, p. 70-77.  - The content is also available at books.google.com)

                                A strange departure indeed(!!!)

                                The above communication-model which seem to be used by many in the TS today is unfortunate and ignore completely the original atmosphere of communicative exchanges of the Theosophical Society, which was clearly forwarded by the Co-Founder H. P- Blavatsky.

                                Especially these words from the above by Joy Dixon on what Esoteric Section members was allowed to do:
                                "Dissent was not to be openly expressed, as what one student might dislike could be helpful to another. Argument and laughter were discouraged, as “these cause disturbing ripples in the stream of thought.” "

                                H. P. Blavatsky wrote the following in opposition to the above Esoteric Section model by Annie Besant...

                                *** 1 ***
                                LITERARY JOTTINGS by H. P. Blavatsky:
                                "Criticism is the sole salvation from intellectual stagnation"
                                (This articles is filled with views in opposition to not forwarding critical remarks. Well meant criticism aught according to Blavatsky be given its due credit, and, not kept down. But the TS seem to follow another policy today among many administrative Esoteric Section members.)
                                http://www.katinkahesselink.net/blavatsky/articles/v13/ph_008.htm

                                *** 2 ***
                                --- "To the Readers of 'Lucifer'" ---
                                "Justice demands that when the reader comes across an article in this magazine which does not immediately approve itself to his mind by chiming in with his own peculiar ideas, he should regard it as a problem to solve rather than as a mere subject of criticism. Let him endeavour to learn the lesson which only opinions differing from his own can teach him. Let him be tolerant, if not actually charitable, and postpone his judgement till he extracts from the article the truth it must contain, adding this new acquisition to his store. One ever learns more from one's enemies than from one's friends; and it is only when the reader has credited this hidden truth to Lucifer, that he can fairly presume to put what he believes to be the efforts of the article he does not like to the debit account."
                                Lucifer, January, 1888
                                H. P. Blavatsky

                                These were the old days.
                                Today the members of the Theosophical Society seem to have been gagged by someone or something. And well meaning outsiders wonder what that can be?
                                Perhaps the Esoteric Section? Criticism has been effectively silenced ever since Annie Besant instigated her devotional exoteric riteswwithin the TS and the Esoteric Section no-criticism-doctrines.
                                (The bylaws in the Appendix of the Theosophical Society rules might be a reason why? These bylaws were added somewhere between the year 1891-1905 by a General Counsil in control and the Co-founder H. S. Olcott removed from control???)

                                All the above are merely my views.
                                Any comments?

                                _________

                                The Mahatma Letter to Annie Besant, year 1900:
                                "The T.S. and its members are slowly manufacturing a creed. Says a Tibetan proverb ‘credulity breeds credulity and ends in hypocrisy’."
                                "The T.S. was meant to be the corner-stone of the future religions of humanity. To accomplish this object those who lead must leave aside their weak predilections for the forms and ceremonies of any particular creed and show themselves to be true Theosophists both in inner thoughts and outward observance."
                                "The E.S.T. must be reformed so as to be as unsectarian and creedless as the T.S.. "
                                http://www.katinkahesselink.net/lastkh.htm

                                My view is:
                                Silence among the members of the Theosophical Society and the two TS Presidential candidates included - about who is to be chosen as President of the TS  - speak volumes - about the levels of communicative ethics within the TS.

                                Sorry about the length of the text. I merely seek to avoid misunderstandings and to clearly help us all.

                                All the above are merely my views.
                                Any comments? No criticism at all? Or no support?

                                M. Sufilight

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 13 10:11 AM
                                    A few views...

                                    Yes.  I will however seek to avoid accusing anyone based on no solid evidence, and, not either with regard to financial circumstances.

                                    Let the theosophical TS members and ESPECIALLY the two Presidential candidates consider the below words carefully in the alleged Mahatma letter to Annie Besant, on avoiding misleading secrecy, and securing a creedless and unsectarian Society (and as a consequence thereof not a sycretic orthodox devotional religion based on ceremonials and rituals), and visibly avoid - their weak predilections for forms and ceremonies of any particular creed.
                                    If not they aught to answer all TS members and the public why.

                                     The question must be whether a complete silence to such central issues and questions are a prime example of wisdom and compassion?

                                    The Mahatma Letter to Annie Besant, year 1900:
                                    "The T.S. and its members are slowly manufacturing a creed. Says a Tibetan proverb - credulity breeds credulity and ends in hypocrisy."
                                    "The E.S.T. must be reformed so as to be as unsectarian and creedless as the T.S.. "
                                    " Misleading secrecy has given the death blow to numerous organizations."
                                    "The T.S. was meant to be the corner-stone of the future religions of humanity. To accomplish this object those who lead must leave aside their weak predilections for the forms and ceremonies of any particular creed and show themselves to be true Theosophists both in inner thoughts and outward observance."
                                    http://www.katinkahesselink.net/lastkh.htm

                                    As always we all know that SILENCE SPEAKS!

                                    M. Sufilight

                                    Message 17 of 18 , Mar 22, 2014
                                      Internet - ‘It’s a momentous invention of humanity on a par with the Gutenberg press. It’s the bringer of knowledge to all; the connecter of knowledge of all.’ Many use it every day for business and personal purposes. When Gutenberg press was invented, few could foresee its impact on the world. So is the case with Internet. Very few foresaw how it would get intertwined with the daily lives of people.

                                      Let us take a look back to the early days of TS. If TS was launched in pre-Gutenberg era, all the classic work produced by HPB and others would have gone to waste. There was no efficient way to distribute them world-wide. Since book publishing was well established by the time TS was launched, it was easy to bring Ancient Wisdom within the reach of people around the world. Now with the advent of Internet, we have the means to bring theosophical knowledge to all.

                                      In February 1984, a group of tech enthusiasts gathered in Monterey, California, to share thoughts on three subjects -- technology, entertainment and design. It was the start of the acronym (and the organization) TED, which marks its first three decades this week with a conference in Vancouver. They have been holding conferences to address the above three topics.

                                      It is interesting to note that ‘In 2006, TED's leadership decided to put its archive of recorded talks online for free. The thinking was that there were limits to how much impact a talk could have if its audience was only a thousand people, even if those people were influential ones. As Cohen recalls, it was considered a risky and even radical move.’

                                      Theosophists are yet to really embrace Internet and use it to bring Ancient Wisdom to the world. One of the effects of Internet is to bring more transparency to the world. Also no one is able to control Internet. So all organizations are faced with the problem of losing control over their followers. TS is no exception. So organizational leaders tend to follow a defacto boycott of Internet for all practical purposes. Until each organization works out proper balance between secrecy and transparency, they can follow TED’s approach in making material available online. Why not put all publications and talks online for free so that they would reach much larger audience. In the short run, it may affect the profit from paper publishing, in the long run it would bring Ancient Wisdom within reach of a lot of people world-wide.

                                      It is time that leaders start brain storming to bring TS out of the current paralytic state it is in.

                                      MKR
                                    • .:.MKR777
                                      Message 18 of 18 , May 10, 2014
                                        Today’s fast moving information world operates on a 24/7 cycle, traditional websites are inadequate.

                                        Members, customers, public etc., want ongoing newsworthy information to be delivered to their computers and high end phones as and when a news comes out. This is where, TS is far behind the curve for years.

                                        It is interesting to note how past TS approaches in the USA failed miserably. First, two administration before the current one, a mailing list was started. It was heavily moderated and died for lack of traffic.

                                        Later, during the prior administration, a social website got started. For some time it was public so that anyone can browse it. Some time later, it became restricted and only members who joined it were able to post messages and browse the traffic. For unexplained reasons, one day it was shut down.

                                        One key factor behind the demise of the above is the desire of TS leaders to have total control over the discussions that took place in them. Usually minimal  moderation is needed for various practical reasons; heavy control over them does not work since the Internet users are used to very wide latitude in the discussions in the forums.

                                        We will have to wait and see what approach TS will be taking in the future regarding use of Internet and its success.

                                        MKR