Petroglyphs - Oldest North American Rock Art May Be 14,800 Years Old

  • M. Sufilight
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2013

      I thought some of you perhaps would like to know about the below recent article on what ordinary science says...

      Petroglyphs found in Nevada may be North America's oldest, (August 18th, 2013)
      "How old is that petroglyph?
      In order to determine the age of this set of petroglyphs in Nevada, researchers studied the calcium carbonate deposit layer on the rock's surface -- an indicator that the rocks had once been submerged in water.
      Benson concluded that the incisions were made before the water levels rose during the Ice Age, and the Lake Lahontan formation. The now-dry Winnemucca Lake was a remnant of Lake Lahontan.
      "Between 13,000 and 15,000 years ago, the lake levels dropped below the level of the boulders," said Hattori.
      "We have other archeological finds in basketry in that area that date about 9,700 to about 11,000 years ago. Now we have these examples in carvings that are associated with that ancient culture," he said.
      What do the carvings mean?
      The carvings, said Hattori, "show very early ancient artistic expression of these people. We initially thought people 12,000 or 10,000 years ago were primitive, but their artistic expressions and technological expertise associated with these paints a much different picture."
      But, he explained, the deeper meanings behind the carvings have yet to be unraveled.
      "We do not know the reason why they carved these designs. There are others looking into deeper meanings," he said.
      He added that "to the Native American people, this is a record for the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe. They view this as information on their ancient ancestors."....."
      http://edition.cnn.com/2013/08/17/us/nevada-petroglyphs/index.html

      *** National Geographic ***
      Oldest North American Rock Art May Be 14,800 Years Old
      Nevada petroglyphs could date back to the first peopling of the Americas. (August 15th, 2013)
      http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2013/08/130815-lake-winnemucca-petroglyphs-ancient-rock-art-nevada/

      M. Sufilight
    • tchebayou aboubakar
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 25, 2013