Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries Online

  • Daniel
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 28, 2013
      Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries
      are now online at the Phoenix ULT website:

      http://www.phx-ult-lodge.org/SD-Diialogues.htm

      How I discovered them more than a decade ago
      can be read at:

      http://blavatskyarchives.com/caldwellunpublavmat.htm#discovered

    • M. Sufilight
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 28, 2013
        A few views:

        Thanks Daniel. And also TLT and Michael Gomes for his great work in this regard.
        Daniel: I wonder whether the theosphical student whom you meet (http://blavatskyarchives.com/caldwellunpublavmat.htm#discovered ) when you discovered the new papers had other old papers as well?

        Were there also som papers from - later - meeting in the Theosophical Society London?
        Meetings after the year 1891?

        M. Sufilight

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 28, 2013
          Thank you Daniel! This is gold - a tremendous resource for SD studies...

          --- In theos-talk@yahoogroups.com, "Daniel" <danielhcaldwell@...> wrote:

          > Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries
          > are now online at the Phoenix ULT website:
          >
          > http://www.phx-ult-lodge.org/SD-Diialogues.htm
          >
          > How I discovered them more than a decade ago
          > can be read at:
          >
          > http://blavatskyarchives.com/caldwellunpublavmat.htm#discovered
          >
          > Daniel H. Caldwell
          > http://hpb.cc

        • Mark Jaqua
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 30, 2013
            Yeah! Power to the People! I've never had or willing to spend on principle the $120 (US) or so it would cost to purchase the commercial version.
            - jake j.

            -----------------------
            Posted by: "Daniel" danielhcaldwell@... danielhcaldwell
            Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am ((PDT))

            Posted by: ".:." mkr777@... ramadoss226
            Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am ((PDT))

            >Excellent. ULT should be congratulated. Making a pdf file available would
            be very helpful. Hope they do it soon.

            >*MKR*
          • .:.
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 30, 2013
              This is a most welcome development.

              Ordinary students (who have no axes to grind organizationally) cannot
              understand how the minds of organizations work. When the work was
              discovered, those who had custody got it for free. They could have scanned
              them and made available on line for all of us to read and understand the
              material. On the other hand, they sat on it for years. And then they had
              find an author who can make a few comments and publish it at exorbitant
              price. Before publishing, electronic copy was available (this is how it is
              fed to the printing process) and it could have been made available on-line.
              (Today digital publishing and on-demand printing go hand in hand, and that
              is the future of publishing. ) May be pure business considerations
              prevented the publisher from going forward in this direction.

              At least now it dawned on one of the movers and shakers in the publishing
              chain of command to make it available on-line.

              This brings up another issue. What other valuable material is in various
              archives? Are any of them circulated in inner circles?

              Also other original manuscripts in various archives can be scanned and made
              available on line. This would do two things. One is long time preservation
              and the other is immediate access to students and scholars.

              Today with low cost scanners this is doable. If there is a will there is a
              way as the saying goes. Hopefully the movers and shakers who are sitting on
              valuable material will wake up and take advantage of current digital
              technology.

              MKR

              On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Mark Jaqua <hozro@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Yeah! Power to the People! I've never had or willing to spend on principle
              > the $120 (US) or so it would cost to purchase the commercial version.
              > - jake j.
              >
              > -----------------------
              > >1a. Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries Online
              > Posted by: "Daniel" danielhcaldwell@... danielhcaldwell
              > Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am ((PDT))
              >
              > >Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries
              > are now online at the Phoenix ULT website:
              >
              > http://www.phx-ult-lodge.org/SD-Diialogues.htm
              >
              > >How I discovered them more than a decade ago
              > can be read at:
              >
              > http://blavatskyarchives.com/caldwellunpublavmat.htm#discovered
              >
              > >Daniel H. Caldwell
              > http://hpb.cc

              > >1b. Re: theos-talk Blavatskyâ?Ts Secret Doctrine Commentaries Onlin
              > Posted by: ".:." mkr777@... ramadoss226
              > Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am ((PDT))
              >
              > >Excellent. ULT should be congratulated. Making a pdf file available would
              > be very helpful. Hope they do it soon.
              >
              > >*MKR*
            • ek_carl
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 31, 2013
                Hi,
                I have two comments to this:

                1. The The Hague-issue by Gomes is not a "commercial version" in anyway. Note that is an expensive printing, there copyright issues (that is way I.S.I.S. Foundation atm can't publish it on-line as well) and not a single cent in profit on it.

                2. The version from ULT that is on-line is heavily edited and altered. Already on page two one find that a large section is missing (removed in other words), and like that it continuous (about 10-15 % is removed in the ULT-version I think). The The Hague-issue is 100 % identical to the MSS, and not edited in anyway.

                Best regards,

                Carl Ek

                --- In theos-talk@yahoogroups.com, ".:." <mkr777@...> wrote:

                > This is a most welcome development.
                >
                > Ordinary students (who have no axes to grind organizationally) cannot
                > understand how the minds of organizations work. When the work was
                > discovered, those who had custody got it for free. They could have scanned
                > them and made available on line for all of us to read and understand the
                > material. On the other hand, they sat on it for years. And then they had
                > find an author who can make a few comments and publish it at exorbitant
                > price. Before publishing, electronic copy was available (this is how it is
                > fed to the printing process) and it could have been made available on-line.
                > (Today digital publishing and on-demand printing go hand in hand, and that
                > is the future of publishing. ) May be pure business considerations
                > prevented the publisher from going forward in this direction.
                >
                > At least now it dawned on one of the movers and shakers in the publishing
                > chain of command to make it available on-line.
                >
                > This brings up another issue. What other valuable material is in various
                > archives? Are any of them circulated in inner circles?
                >
                > Also other original manuscripts in various archives can be scanned and made
                > available on line. This would do two things. One is long time preservation
                > and the other is immediate access to students and scholars.
                >
                > Today with low cost scanners this is doable. If there is a will there is a
                > way as the saying goes. Hopefully the movers and shakers who are sitting on
                > valuable material will wake up and take advantage of current digital
                > technology.
                >
                > MKR
                >

                > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Mark Jaqua <hozro@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Yeah! Power to the People! I've never had or willing to spend on principle
                > > the $120 (US) or so it would cost to purchase the commercial version.
                > > - jake j.
                > >
                > > -----------------------
                > > >1a. Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries Online
                > > Posted by: "Daniel" danielhcaldwell@... danielhcaldwell
                > > Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am ((PDT))
                > >
                > > >Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries
                > > are now online at the Phoenix ULT website:
                > >
                > > http://www.phx-ult-lodge.org/SD-Diialogues.htm
                > >
                > > >How I discovered them more than a decade ago
                > > can be read at:
                > >
                > > http://blavatskyarchives.com/caldwellunpublavmat.htm#discovered
                > >
                > > >Daniel H. Caldwell
                > > http://hpb.cc

                > > >1b. Re: theos-talk Blavatskyâ?Ts Secret Doctrine Commentaries Onlin
                > > Posted by: ".:." mkr777@... ramadoss226
                > > Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am ((PDT))
                > >
                > > >Excellent. ULT should be congratulated. Making a pdf file available would
                > > be very helpful. Hope they do it soon.
                > >
                > > >*MKR*

              • .:.
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 31, 2013
                  Thanks for the information.

                  1. Why the custodian of the original manuscript of record of discussions
                  sat on it for such a long time is a mystery. It does not have any copyright
                  and even today it could be scanned made available as-is to theosophical
                  students. There are many unknown theosophical students around the world
                  knowledgeable and could have provided valuable comments and could have been
                  published/posted on Internet at almost no cost.

                  2. Even now, if anyone can loan a photocopy of the original record of
                  discussions, arrangements can be made to scan them and make them available
                  as-is free on Internet and this can be done in a couple of days.

                  3. Editorial addition of background information and explanations is of
                  great value. ISIS Foundation should be congratulated in publishing the
                  book. The theosophical world knew about the existence of the material
                  because of the publication. On the other hand, most theosophical students
                  cannot afford to buy pricey publications and this limits the circulation.

                  4. While ULT effort of online publication is to be commended. If someone
                  who has taken the trouble to compare the book and online version can
                  comment on material edited and deleted would be helpful to readers of
                  online edition.

                  MKR

                • M. Sufilight
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 31, 2013
                    Thanks.
                    I would ask members of ULT: Is it possible that ULT would consider improving on their online version?

> [...]

                    > > the $120 (US) or so it would cost to purchase the commercial version.
                    > > - jake j.
                    > >
                    > > -----------------------
                    > > >1a. Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries Online
                    > > Posted by: "Daniel" danielhcaldwell@... danielhcaldwell
                    > > Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am ((PDT))
                    > >
                    > > >Blavatsky's Secret Doctrine Commentaries
                    > > are now online at the Phoenix ULT website:
                    > >
                    > > http://www.phx-ult-lodge.org/SD-Diialogues.htm
                    > >
                    > > >How I discovered them more than a decade ago
                    > > can be read at:
                    > >
                    > > http://blavatskyarchives.com/caldwellunpublavmat.htm#discovered
                    > >
                    > > >Daniel H. Caldwell
                    > > http://hpb.cc

                    > > >1b. Re: theos-talk Blavatskyâ?Ts Secret Doctrine Commentaries Onlin
                    > > Posted by: ".:." mkr777@... ramadoss226
                    > > Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:18 am ((PDT))
                    > >
                    > > >Excellent. ULT should be congratulated. Making a pdf file available would

                  • Daniel
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 31, 2013
                      Hi Carl,

                      I'm confused by your statement about the missing part.

                      What is removed?

                      I did a spot check of the online version and the printed
                      ISIS Foundation edition and somehow I don't see what has been
                      removed. Maybe I'm not awake yet. Could you
                      explain your example in more detail.

                      --- In theos-talk@yahoogroups.com, "ek_carl" <carl.ek@...> wrote:

> [...]
                      > > available on line. This would do two things. One is long time preservation
                      > > and the other is immediate access to students and scholars.
                      > >
                      > > Today with low cost scanners this is doable. If there is a will there is a
                      > > way as the saying goes. Hopefully the movers and shakers who are sitting on
                      > > valuable material will wake up and take advantage of current digital
                      > > technology.
                      > >
                      > > MKR
                      > >

                      > > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:32 AM, Mark Jaqua <hozro@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > **
                      > > >

                      > > > Yeah! Power to the People! I've never had or willing to spend on principle
                      > > > the $120 (US) or so it would cost to purchase the commercial version.
                      > > > - jake j.

                      > > > Posted by: "Daniel" danielhcaldwell@ danielhcaldwell
                      > > > Date: Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:14 am ((PDT))

                      > > > are now online at the Phoenix ULT website:

                    • ek_carl
                      Message 10 of 10 , Aug 1, 2013
                        Hi,
                        Early next week I will post further concerning it. Very busy with a wedding atm. My own.

                        Best regards,

                        Carl