Smythe & Besant & Canadian Theosophy

  • Robert Bruce MacDonald
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26 10:03 AM
      In 2011, Edmonton Theosophical Society published Theosophy in Canada by Ted Davy. Ted is a former president of TS in Canada and editor of The Canadian Theosophist. Ted has been involved with the movement since the 1950s and has a vast knowledge of the history of the movement.

      The ThesophyCanada website has just uploaded two chapters from Ted's book, "Albert E. S. Smythe" and "The World Religion that Wasn't".

      TS in Canada has always been supportive of W.Q. Judge, in part because Albert Smythe met Judge on his way home to America after Judge had visited India. Inspired, Smythe went on to found the Toronto Lodge. TS in Canada followed the American movement in support of Tingley after Judge's death and then when it was felt Tingley's agenda wasn't their own, they returned to the Adyar fold where they remained until being tossed out in the early 90s. Ted explains why Canada returned to the Adyar Society. TS in Canada had always been fiercely independent and a bit of a thorn in the side of Adyar. The "Smythe" article gives readers a good sense of where this spirit came from.

      "The World Religion that Wasn't" details Besant's foray into the world of religion and how TS in Canada was one of several theosophical sections to distance themselves from this, from their point of view, poorly thought out if not untheosophical agenda. Ted does a wonderful job at detailing the politics of religion done theosophical style.

      Bruce

    • Mark Jaqua
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 27 7:43 AM
        'Really enjoyed Ted Davy's book and thought the Smythe chapter was especially impressive. Smythe was an impressive guy and underrated as one of the chief figures of the Theosophical Movement since the founders. 'No room for Two Leaders in Tingley's group however - but she did accomplish a tremendous amount. I see references to Hargrove's writings on Tingley in later volumes of "Theosophical Quarterly," and also some Smythe wrote in an early volume of "Canadian Theosophist." It'd be great if Edmonton put some of this material online, as it is about non-existent now, and over a hundred years have passed! (There is or was about 20 vols of "Theosophical Quarterly" on google [about half liberal christian theosophy, except for some early Theosophist's material.])

        - jake j.

        Posted by: "Robert Bruce MacDonald" robert.b.macdonald@... robert_b_macd
        Date: Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:03 am ((PDT))