Fate of Cagliostro's Enemies

  • Mark Jaqua
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 4, 2013
      I thought the fate of the following people was really instructive. Even though Blavatsky said that Cagliostro was a failure, he still was a near completely unselfish and altruistic man (among much else, he healed people in large groups all over Europe). There's a law in nature it seems that causes malicious attacks upon the altruistically motivated to rebound on the accusor. Cagliostro died in a prison cell in the 1790's - sentenced to death, and then life-imprisonment for being a Freemason by the Catholic Inquisition that was still in effect in Rome. (From a letter or Pamphlet of Cagliostro's found in Malpas's serial "Cagliostro" in "Theosophical Path."):

      _Fate of Cagliostro's Enemies_

      ".....If the Sieur Morande can for an instant doubt this truth, so terrible for them, but consoling for good men; let him reflect upon the fate of those whose cause he has defended and whose horrors he has exceeded.

      "Madame de Blevary in payment for my benefactions, delivered me into the hands of two scoundrels. - She is dead.

      "Miss Fry, my implacable enemy, has not enjoyed the fortune she owed to me. After having devoted the whole of it to suborning witnesses, and corrupting the officers of justice, she fell into the most terrible misery. - She is dead.

      "Mr. Broad, the friend, the spy, the witness for Miss Fry, was in the flower of his age. - He is dead.

      "Mr. Dunning, Miss Fry's lawyer, had been chosen to make a manifestly unjust cause triumph. - He is dead.

      "Mr. Wallace, my lawyer, instead of defending me, has delivered me up to the mercy of the arbitrator chosen by Miss Fry. - He is dead.

      "Mr. Howarth gave an iniquitous judgment against me, which condemned innocence and left the perjurer unpunished. - He is dead.*

      * He was drowned in crossing the Thames. - P. A. M.

      "The Justice of the Peace at Hammersmith issued a warrant against my wife and myself for an imaginary crime: he was later dismissed in disgrace. - He is dead.

      "Madame Gaudicheau, sister of Miss Fry, was her accomplice, and Scott's. - She is dead.

      "Mr. Crisp, Marshal of the King's Bench prison, in connivance with Aylett, swindled me out of 50 guineas worth of plate. He has lost the lucrative position he enjoyed, and reduced to beggary has retired to an almshouse. - He died there.

      "Vitellini betrayed my confidence; his culpable indiscretion made him accomplice in a robbery of which he expected one day to enjoy the proceeds. He was thrown into a vagabond's prison. - He died there.

      "Four years after my departure, there existed scarcely one of the persons I have just named. Of all my persecutors of that time there remain today only four individuals, whose manner of existence is such that death would be a benefit for them.

      "Raynold, the Procureur of Miss Fry, and the accomplice of the theft from me committed by Scott, has suffered the infamous punishment of the pillory for the crime of perjury.

      "The Procureur Aylett who cheated me out of 80 guineas under pretext of my pretended identity with Balsamo of London, has just suffered the same punishment as Raynold, also for the crime of perjury. And this is the man who signed an affidavit against me! This is the man whom Morande consults, and whose friend he is!

      "The bailiff Saunders was involved in the plot against me. He delivered me into the hands of the attorney Priddle. His fortune was dissipated within a very short time; he was imprisoned for prevarication, and he has been in prison several years.

      "As for Scott, if I am not mistaken, he is living at this moment alone, without relatives and without friends, in the heart of Scotland. A prey to remorse, undergoing at the same time the anxieties of wealth and the miseries of poverty, he is tormented by the enjoyment of a wealth which ceaselessly escapes him, until at last he is perishing of inanition near the object of his cupidity, which has become the instrument of his suffering.

      "Such has been the destiny of the fourteen individuals who have been united against me and who violated the sacred rights of hospitality. A part of my readers will see in the series of these events only a combination of chance: as for me I recognise in them that divine Providence which has sometimes permitted me to be the victim of the wiles of the wicked, but which has always broken the instruments used to try me.

      "Now my enemies think I am crushed. They have said to one another, 'Let us trample under foot this man who knows us too well'; but they do not know that in spite of their efforts I shall rise triumphant, when the time of trial is over. They rejoice in the wounds they have inflicted upon me; but these foolish people in their mad transports do not see hovering over them the cloud from which the lightning will dart.

      "Oh that the truly terrible example I have just put before their eyes, provoking in their hearts a salutary repentance, might save me the grief of having to lament their fate! Let them recognise their error! Let them make one simple step towards justice, and my lips will open only to bless them.

      "(Signed) Le Comte de Cagliostro...."

      [From chap. IX in Phillip Malpas's Serial "Cagliostro" in Theosophical Path, vols. 41, no. 4, through vol. 45, no. 2; Theosophical Forum, Vol. 8, Feb. and March, 1936 - See the full book at scribd.com Malpas spent 20 years of research in the British Museum.] :