TS, Internet and Young Members

  • .:.
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2013
      Anyone who was at the recent Convention at Adyar, would have noticed a
      simple fact. There were very few young men and women. 99% were old greying
      men and women. In five years time, we can expect 5 to 10% to pass on. So
      one should question why TS is not attracting young men and women. This is a
      very important question that directly addresses the future of TS. We all
      know there is continuing decline in the membership in most countries of the
      world excluding India. In the past, membership issue is a hot potato that
      no leader wants to touch. We do not know what business was transacted at
      the recent General Council meeting. Did anyone bring up this important
      issue and discuss what steps can be taken to address it?

      During the flight from USA to Chennai, the small group of old and young
      which travelled, noticed one very important fact. Every young man and woman
      in the flight had a high end wireless phone. That is the main gadget of
      contact with the world for most varied applications starting with phone
      calls, send and receive email, GPS, book tickets for travel and
      entertainment, read books and publications, you name it. Most hotels and
      public places have Wifi Internet available and even airlines are working on
      making Wifi available in flights.

      TS has traditionally been too far behind on the use of Internet technology
      to spread the word. TS needs to catchup quickly if we want to bring in
      younger generation. We need to find ways and means to use Internet to help
      it to grow and TS has no choice.

      Even at Adyar, Wifi could not be found anywhere. We were told that
      broadband is available in the TS offices and we do not know how it is used
      for furthering the spread of theosophy.

      Unless one uses Internet and the applications available, one cannot get
      first hand appreciation of what its capabilities are and how it is a very
      powerful tool to assist us to effectively to accomplish many tasks.

      The above is not a critique of Adyar alone. Even in the USA, more than a
      decade ago, I noticed TS leaders avoiding use of Internet and Fax for
      exchange of correspondence with members, opting for paper and snailmail. So
      the mindset needs to be addressed, and done urgently.

      MKR