Re: theos-talk TS Convention - Day 2

  • M. Sufilight
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 28, 2012
      A few views...from the Heart...

      MKR wrote:
      "Visitors to museum expected to see the most important artifact - the turban
      left with Olcott when Mahatma M visited him in NY.

      Many, many visitors from far and wide were shocked and disappointed to find
      the museum room which holds it was locked. There was no one to explain why
      such an important artifact was not on view. In the group of visitors were
      three US Citizens - one long time member and two young men who had
      travelled all the way from USA.

      These artifacts are the public property of TS members and it is a pity that
      it was all locked up. We do not know who made the call and if the
      International President is aware of what is going on. It looks like some
      one made an arbitrary decision. Inquiries at the Inquiry Office did not
      help. Some of members suggested that everyone prays so that prayers would
      be answered. We will have to see if the turban room would be open tomorrow.

      Disappointing members is not good to any organization, especially when are
      dealing with property not owned by any individual."

      M. Sufilight says:
      Morya Turban's on display is of course not the central object and aim of the Theosophical Society...or is it?

      But then again.... neither is the Liberal Catholic Church (a New Age organization - and not an age old religion like the meek and humble Ebionites version...) the central object and aim of the Theosophical Society ----but it is - it seems - CLEARLY favoured as more important to have a Liberal Catholic Church on display at the TS Adyar compound - with its many robes and hats and churchs bells...even with 13 crosses on them. In fact a major Liberal Catholic Church building has been erected - right there on the TS Adyar compound....or perhaps it is not important....or is it?

      __________

      I recall the following from a Blavatsky letter to A. P. Sinnett.
      The old co-founder and President of the Theosophical Society - H. S. Olcott - had gotten into his head to build a "Temple of Humanity or Universal Brotherhood" on the TS Adyar compound....Blavatsky rejected the idea and wished that Olcott would go to a "hot" place (no doubt an analogical hint at the Christian hell....)....Later the Master said: We make no unwilling slaves...so if they want it they will have it...

      Blavatsky wrote to A. P. Sinnett, somewhere in 1885:
      "You have perhaps heard, that Hurrissingjee (Thakur of Baunagar's cousin) took it into his head to build a shrine for the portraits of the two Masters and meant to spend over it 10,000 rupees. He several times asked Master; He would not answer. Then he asked Olcott, who bothered Mah. K. H. through Damodar, as I had refused point blank to put such questions to Masters. Then the Mahatma answered "Let him talk with the chelas about it I do not care" or something to that effect. Well Damodar and Chundra Coosho I think and others went to work to make a plan of the shrine. Even the dirty Coulomb, was called in for his draughtsman's capacities. We were in Europe then. But as soon as we were gone came the Coulomb row. When we returned, Hurrissingjee, to show that the exposure had no effect on him, wanted to sell a village and build the shrine quand meme. The day after my return Mahatma told me to write to Hurrissingjee that He expressly forbid spending such amount of money. That it was useless and foolish. So I wrote. Then came the anniversary and Hurrissingjee sent a delegate for himself as he was sick. When the superlatively idiotic idea of a Temple of Humanity or Universal Brotherhood came into Olcott's pumpkin, the delegate, when the others were subscribing, was asked by Olcott and he said (in full convention in the Pandala before hundreds of people, "I believe His Highness wants to subscribe Rs. 1,000 --" I said to Olcott "too much-it's a shame"-but he pitched into me for my trouble and as I was then sitting there in the light of a prisoner in dock-I shut up. Well; Olcott came one day and said, "Do ask Master to permit me to have money (generally) subscribed for the Temple." So I sent his temple and himself to a hot place and said I would not. Then he went to Damodar, and D.-asked I think, for two or three days after I heard through Damodar that the prohibition to Hurrissingjee of spending money on such flapdoodles had been removed and that Hurrissingjee had a letter to that effect. I remember as though it was to day Dj. Khool's voice laughing and saying "He will catch it with his temple, the gallant Colonel." Next time D. K. I asked why was the prohibition removed when the very idea of the temple was stupid, and some people went against it. He said-"Well you ought to know that when there is a strong desire on both sides Masters never interfere. They cannot prevent people from hanging themselves." I paid no great attention to these words then, I thought they referred to the foolishness of the "temple." I understand them now."
      http://www.phx-ult-lodge.org/Letters%20of%20HPB.htm

      And we may ask why it was considered a stupid idea to build such a temple? Money spend and time spend on useless activities....almost with a disregard to the main objects of the originally Absolutely Non-Sectarian Theosophical Society...(And now today turned into a circus with some temples allowed on compound - and - OTHERS NOT...? And this is called freedom of thought - as if it is to follow the Original Absolutely Non-Sectarian spirit given by the Co-founders of the Theosophical Society?....Let the members of the Convention in Adyar these days learn a lesson from this - while they hear the (propaganda? or freedom of thought?) church bells on the compound)

      Now during the decades since 1882 we have witnessed the acummulated build of new temples here and there on the TS Adyar compound. Then and now a new school arrives. Then suddenly a school is abandoned again and a new activity is put in its place. (A monkey jumps from one tree to another - it is said...)...More and more buidlings are arrving at TS Adyar slowly but surely it seems....

      And now my dear MKR - you ask for a large or small Museum it seems --- so to admire Turban's and what not?...Smile...

      I suggest: Let us seek to keep the original non-sectarian organizational structure and the original objects intact.

      Maybe I am wrong and should not post such words and just keep my mouth shut...?

      M. Sufilight

      Many delegates and their families were eager to visit the archives, Besant
      Rooms, Krishnamurti Rooms, and the museum which has some of the artifacts
      of great interests.

[...]

      Every day a printed bulletin is issued. In first days bulletin, some
      important comments made by the president on Internet was missing.
      Hopefully, full transcript would be available soon.

      MKR