Olcott Memorial School

  • MKR
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2012
      As we all are aware of the discussions about Krishnamurti School vacating
      Damodar Gardens to make room for expansion of Olcott Memorial School.

      Tuition at K School is very expensive and hence only fat cats can afford to
      send their kids. So the decision of TS to make them move is the right thing
      to do.

      I just read the statement of Olcott when he started the school for
      panchamas or untouchables.

      'He founded schools for the outcastes in South India. Colonel Olcott
      stipulated that no school
      fees should be charged; that the school hours were to be convenient for the
      occupations of the
      domestic servants and others who might seek education; that no Christian or
      other proselytism
      was to be permitted; Tamil (reading, writing and correct spelling) as well
      as arithmetic, English
      speaking and Hindustani speaking were to be taught.'

      I also want to point out his emphasis on Hindustani. Today it is the most
      widely used language across India and ability to use it is invaluable.

      MKR

    • .:.
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
        The school is making progress in building a vocational center built in a
        small area of the Damodar Gardens cleared by Krishnamurti School.

        The value of land in Chennai has skyrocketed and the school enjoyed 1973
        lease amount which is peanuts in today's price and there was no escalation
        clause (why this was left out is a mystery) and hence the school continues
        to enjoy the freebee to the detriment of TS which owns the land.

        The school is very expensive and you will not find the fee details in their
        website. A visitor commented that even Krishnaji as a student could not
        afford it.

        The parents of current students unsuccessfully tried various means of
        continuing to stay in Damodar Gardens. Those who decided not to renew the
        lease and use the property for the benefit of Olcott Memorial School should
        be commended and it is the most theosophical decision anyone can take. We
        should all rejoice.

        Anyone who can financially support the school would earn very good Karma
        since the school serves the most needy segment.

        MKR

        On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM, MKR <mkr777@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > As we all are aware of the discussions about Krishnamurti School vacating
        > Damodar Gardens to make room for expansion of Olcott Memorial School.
        >
        > Tuition at K School is very expensive and hence only fat cats can afford to
        > send their kids. So the decision of TS to make them move is the right thing
        > to do.
        >
        > I just read the statement of Olcott when he started the school for
        > panchamas or untouchables.
        >
        > 'He founded schools for the outcastes in South India. Colonel Olcott
        > stipulated that no school
        > fees should be charged; that the school hours were to be convenient for the
        > occupations of the
        > domestic servants and others who might seek education; that no Christian or
        > other proselytism
        > was to be permitted; Tamil (reading, writing and correct spelling) as well
        > as arithmetic, English
        > speaking and Hindustani speaking were to be taught.'
        >
        > I also want to point out his emphasis on Hindustani. Today it is the most
        > widely used language across India and ability to use it is invaluable.
        >
        > MKR

      • M. Sufilight
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
          Allow me to ask:
          Is it a Sectarian School or a Non-Sectarian one - within a non-sectarian Theosophical Society promulgation freedom of thoght?

          Sectarian in the sense - that someone teach a certain well defined doctrine on behalf of the Theosophical Society - as a belief and not as a science?

          M. Sufilight

          The school is making progress in building a vocational center built in a
          small area of the Damodar Gardens cleared by Krishnamurti School.

          The value of land in Chennai has skyrocketed and the school enjoyed 1973
          lease amount which is peanuts in today's price and there was no escalation
          clause (why this was left out is a mystery) and hence the school continues
          to enjoy the freebee to the detriment of TS which owns the land.

          The school is very expensive and you will not find the fee details in their
          website. A visitor commented that even Krishnaji as a student could not
          afford it.

          The parents of current students unsuccessfully tried various means of
          continuing to stay in Damodar Gardens. Those who decided not to renew the
          lease and use the property for the benefit of Olcott Memorial School should
          be commended and it is the most theosophical decision anyone can take. We
          should all rejoice.

          Anyone who can financially support the school would earn very good Karma
          since the school serves the most needy segment.

          MKR

          On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 1:39 PM, MKR mkr777@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > As we all are aware of the discussions about Krishnamurti School vacating
          > Damodar Gardens to make room for expansion of Olcott Memorial School.
          >
          > Tuition at K School is very expensive and hence only fat cats can afford to
          > send their kids. So the decision of TS to make them move is the right thing
          > to do.
          >
          > I just read the statement of Olcott when he started the school for
          > panchamas or untouchables.
          >
          > 'He founded schools for the outcastes in South India. Colonel Olcott
          > stipulated that no school
          > fees should be charged; that the school hours were to be convenient for the
          > occupations of the
          > domestic servants and others who might seek education; that no Christian or
          > other proselytism
          > was to be permitted; Tamil (reading, writing and correct spelling) as well
          > as arithmetic, English
          > speaking and Hindustani speaking were to be taught.'
          >
          > I also want to point out his emphasis on Hindustani. Today it is the most
          > widely used language across India and ability to use it is invaluable.
          >
          > MKR

        • .:.
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
            There is some info at the school website: <www.*olcott*-*school*-chennai.org

            MKR

          • M. Sufilight
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
              Yes, you are quite right....

              What I am missing is - a presentation on the fact that the children learn the difference between non-sectarian and sectarian in a scientifical manner (See authors like William Sargant, Margareth Singer, Steve Hassan, Edgar Schein, Kurt Lewin and quite a number of others - (although I am not aware of any recent authors from India on this) - who have proven that such a science do exist - on telling the difference between sectarian and non-sectarian). - The page: http://www.olcott-school-chennai.org/curriculum.htm aught to contain a sentence on this - and - that it is being learned within the science of psychology (holistically). Such a science is not forwarded officially by many religions in India - in - a clear and unmuddled manner.

              This is my hope, that someone will read this - and understand the importance of giving this element the needed emphasis - because many persons - both in India and other countries - consider the non-sectarian Theosophical Society to be a scet or even a cult - teching the worst kinds of magic - muslin and bladder - and much worse kinds of sorcery. And we all know, that this is not the object.

              I am just seeking to be of service. That was why I wrote the above words. I do care you know.

              Anyone?

              M. Sufilight

              global-theosophy@...>wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Allow me to ask:
              > Is it a Sectarian School or a Non-Sectarian one - within a non-sectarian
              > Theosophical Society promulgation freedom of thoght?
              >
              > Sectarian in the sense - that someone teach a certain well defined
              > doctrine on behalf of the Theosophical Society - as a belief and not as a
              > science?
              >
              > M. Sufilight

            • Konstantin Zaitzev
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
                --- In theos-talk@yahoogroups.com, "M. Sufilight" wrote:

                > What I am missing is - a presentation on the fact that the children
                > learn the difference between non-sectarian and sectarian in a

                It should be make clear that it's a school for the poorest children, often belonging to lower castes, like fishermen, many of whom live in favelas. So the main purport of the school is to give them primary education, to teach them read, write, etc., what will emable them to raise a little higher above their environment and find a better job.
              • .:.
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
                  Let me add. Now they are expanding the curriculum to provide vocational
                  education in such trades as electrician, auto mechanic etc.

                  At the time when Olcott opened the school it was called Panchama School.
                  Panchamas are the lowest class considered 'untouchable'. The school is
                  providing basic education to the poorest segment of the society in the true
                  spirit of Brotherhood.

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 7, 2013
                    Yes, of course you have a point there.

                    My views are however:
                    But, primary education aught never to be sectarian (in the sense I shortly formulated in my previous post in this thread) and aught clearly to formulate itself in opposition to it.
                    Just like the Theisophical Society aught to give more emphasis - than it does today - on what the actual difference between the terms sectarian and non-sectarian is.

                    If you would like to teach children anything, then begin with the ethical science of psychology - and - include also if possible thereby the ethical science of transcendental psychology - as a science, not a belief. - Follow the Golden Rule found in numerous religions and worldviews: "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself" - especially also organizationally speaking - else - you will begin from the wrong end of the ladder so to speak. Well as I see it. I do hope you understand what I intend to say.

                    One aught to tell the children, that they are not in this school so to be taught Orthodox Theosophy - based on the outlet of the 13 prominent personalities given on the TS Adyar website (Annie Besant, Leadbeater, Krishnamurti and others included). Because this is, as I see it, to begin from the wrong end of reality.

                    Learning about scientific psychological ethics (ie. the difference between sectarian and non-sectarian activity - and ethics as such - humanistic values - and the Golden Rule - if you like) aught to be taught before mere brain teaching like maths, language, geometry, geography etc., etc. To me this is obvious, to others it seem not to be so.

                    The term "social sciences" on the page in mention aught therefore also to be much more clearly explained.

                    I do hope you understand, what my intention is, and why I give it emphais like I do.

                    But all these are of course merely my views. And I might of course be wrong in having them.
                    And I will gladly know why, if it is seen to be so.

                    M. Sufilight