Re: Theos-World Questions to Steve Stubbs about the Ooton Liatto Case and other cases

  • Steve Stubbs
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 7, 2002
      Hi, Daniel:

      As I said earlier, the only proof we can have of the
      masters' historical existence is testimony from a
      qualified witness, and we have that from Olcott. We
      do not have it from Brown, Ramaswamier, et al, but
      Olcott's testimony is sufficient in my judgement to
      establish their corporeal existence as legal persons.
      So I agree with Paul that their identities were
      disguised, but I cannot agree with anyone that they
      were fictions, fantasies, imagined beings, trance
      personalities, or any such thing as that unless the
      Olcott evidence can be satisfactorily disposed of. I
      raised that question some time ago, and no one has
      ever addressed it, so for that reason I remain
      stubbornly convinced that the mahatmas were real men
      as they were claimed to be.

      That said, I see no reason to doubt their claim that
      they belonged to an organization headquartered in
      northern India which has come to be referred to as the
      "White Brotherhood" and which had Tibertan connections
      and/or influence.

      Steve

      http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/olcottsevenaccounts.htm

      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 7, 2002
        Dear Steve,

        Thanks for your comments at:

        Steve, I think you have hit the nail right on the head when you write:

        ". . . the only proof we can have of the masters' historical
        existence is testimony from a qualified witness, and we have that
        from Olcott. . . .Olcott's testimony is sufficient in my judgement to
        establish their corporeal existence as legal persons. . . . . I
        cannot agree with anyone that they were fictions, fantasies, imagined
        beings, trance personalities, or any such thing as that unless the
        Olcott evidence can be satisfactorily disposed of. I raised that
        question some time ago, and no one has ever addressed it, so for that
        reason I remain stubbornly convinced that the mahatmas were real men
        as they were claimed to be."

        It has puzzled me to no small degree why this very issue has not been
        directly and straightforwardly addressed by some of the participants
        on this forum.

        It is true that Brigitte Mühlegger has written one or two
        suggestive remarks on this subject. For example, at one point she
        wrote:

        " . . . I didn't want to take Olcott's letter [ See Case B at:
        http://blavatskyarchives.com/ol9ac.htm#B ] to a prospective convert
        on face value."

        "Who could [take this Case B on face value], after reading [Olcott's]
        'People of the other world' and finding out what this man was all
        capable of believing."

        "And unfortunately for Olcott Blavatsky didn't either, she clearly
        wrote about Olcott's Master fantasies to Hartmann: 'Where you speek
        of the army of deluded-and the imaginary Mahatmas of Olcott-you are
        absolutly and sadly right. Have I not strugled and fought against
        Olcott's ardent and gushing imagination, and tried to stop him every
        day of my life?' (Blavatsky,"The Path" March 1896,p.368)"

        Notice Mühlegger's reference to "Olcott's Master fantasies".

        I assume that Brigitte Mühlegger would apply this line of argument
        to most if not all of Olcott's testimony given at:

        http://blavatskyarchives.com/ol9ac.htm

        Am I wrong in making this assumption?

        Furthermore, one can only speculate on what Mühlegger is actually
        suggesting when she writes:

        ". . . the herb stories . . . are most likely true . . . and probably
        the source (that is 'interpretation') of many a 'Master'story."

        Is she suggesting that some of Olcott's "Master stories" are
        only "fantasies" and that the "Masters" Olcott claimed to have met
        are only "imagined beings"?

        Maybe one of these days Mühlegger will share with us her
        detailed "thinking and reasoning" about all of this. Maybe she
        actually has some good points but unfortunately she seems quite
        reticent to give her exact opinion and offer details and specifics.

        http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/introduction.htm