H.P. Blavatsky’s attempt to commit acts of psychic murder ?

  • bri_mue
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 7, 2002
      E. Gerry Brown's account of H.P. Blavatsky's attempt to commit acts
      of psychic murder against Brown and his family no doubt will be
      upsetting to Blavatskyphiles. Indeed, one correspondent sent a
      lengthy reply expressing his displeasure over its publication.

      Of immediate concern, however, is the connection of this document
      with Brown's relations with Olcott and Blavatsky around 1875 and
      early 1876 (I thank Ted Davy, former editor of the Canadian
      Theosophist for reminding me of Michael Gomes' important
      article, "Studies in Early American Theosophical History: I. Elbridge
      Gerry Brown and the Boston `Spiritual Scientist'" (Canadian
      Theosophist, 69/6 [Jan.-Feb. 1989: 121-129 and 70/1 [Mar.-Apr.1989]:
      14-17).

      Brown's journal, The Spiritual Scientist, was heavily supported by
      H.P.B. and Olcott to the tune of perhaps $631 if the amount written
      in the second volume of H.P.B.'s Scrapbook is correct. The journal
      was obviously of crucial importance to the two founders of the
      Theosophical Society for publicity purposes. Indeed, in June of 1875
      Serapis (as pointed out by Professor Godwin) wished for Brown to be
      the third member of a Triad that was to advance the cause of the
      Lodge (of the Masters) in America (Gomes: 121-22). By the beginning
      of 1876, however, a falling out between Brown on the one hand and
      Olcott and H.P.B. on the other occurred. In the Scrapbook containing
      the 1875 circular "Important to Spiritualists," H.P.B.
      annotates: "Several hundred dollars, out of our pockets were spent on
      behalf of the Editor [Brown], and he was made to pass through a
      minor `diksha.' This proving of no avail—The Theosophical Society was
      established. The man might have become a POWER, he preferred to
      remain an ASS . . . ." (Gomes: 123)

      What was the reason for this abrupt change in attitude of the Editor?
      Could our document shed any light on the sudden turn of events?
      Perhaps Brown's initial importance prior to the founding of the
      Society led to the document portraying H.P.B. in an overbearing and
      imperious manner because so much was at stake. What were her reasons
      for being so adamantly opposed to the marriage? Who was his future
      wife, who is described as "one of the most sensitive and perfect
      mediums I [the interviewer] have known . . . ." On a mundane matter,
      when were they married? This would obviously pinpoint the time that
      these events occurred. Can we assume that much of the description was
      embellished? If so, what does this tell us about the Browns? Or about
      H.P.B.'s attitude toward Spiritualistic phenomena? A careful reading
      of the document suggests caution in accepting every statement
      verbatim. It is obviously written for the consumption of a
      Spiritualist audience and not the general public. Consequently, Brown
      going into detail about the number of spirit entities involved in the
      assaults, his conversations with them and his eventual winning the
      spirit band over to his side would naturally be accepted by
      Spiritualists. In conclusion, the document is significant, not so
      much because of the reference to H.P.B. attempting psychic murder on
      the Browns; more significantly, it gives us some insight into the
      personal life and personality of E. Gerry Brown, his relations with
      Olcott and H.P.B., and the times in which he lived. The document
      therefore is a fairly significant contribution to our knowledge of a
      generally unknown player in early Theosophical history. If it induces
      the historian to investigate his life, then the document will have
      served its purpose.

      See: http://www.theohistory.org/description-of
      issues/descript_of_issues_v4.html#Anchor-35882
      (Brigitte)