Amendments to Rules & Regulations of the TS

  • Pedro Oliveira
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 23 5:28 PM
      [Below is the text of the message Mr Surendra Narayan, a former
      International Vice-President of the TS (Adyar), recently sent to
      General Secretaries, National Presidents, Organising Secretaries,
      Presidential Representatives and Presidents of Lodges directly
      attached to Adyar. PO]

      "Dear Friends,

      Many of us were surprised and somewhat alarmed at receiving copies of
      an email of 21st September from sister Betty Bland (joined by 3 other
      members, including brother John Algeo) addressed to the International
      Secretary and containing draft of proposed amendments to the Rules
      and Regulations of the Theosophical Society, principally related to
      the election of the President. International Secretary has been asked
      to include the proposed amendments as a Resolution in the agenda for
      the forthcoming meeting of the General Council on 25th December at
      Adyar, under the provision of Rules 5 and 49 of the Society.

      The main and fundamental amendment therein states that the election
      of the international President shall be by members of the General
      Council, and thus not by the individual votes of the members of the
      Society worldwide, as is being done for over a century in accordance
      with the existing Rules and Regulations of the Society. It must be
      admitted, with due respect to the proposers of the amendments, that
      one finds it extremely difficult to discover a convincing reason for
      such haste in trying to incorporate such a fundamental amendment in
      the Rules and Regulations of the TS. The last election was over only
      by the end of June this year and the next election of the President
      is due seven years hence and even according to another proposed
      amendment, at least 5 years later.

      Leaving this aside, let us examine some of the aspects and
      implications of these proposed amendments.

      The General Council today consists of about 36 members and this
      includes the 4 International Officers, 7 additional members nominated
      by the President and about 25-26 General Secretaries of National
      Societies / Sections. The International Directory which appears at
      the end of the October issue of the Theosophist has a list of 53
      countries, including a few forming a group. Deducting 25-26 National
      Societies / Sections represented in the General Council through their
      General Secretaries, the remaining 26-27 countries do not have
      General Secretaries and are not thus members of the General Council
      and will now not have any role in the election of the President,
      while today their individual members enjoy voting rights in electing
      a President. A National Society can be formed by mere 70 members
      having 7 lodges, the number of lodges can later go down to even 5.
      There are 12-13 National Societies represented in the General
      Council, each of which has even less than the number of members in a
      lodge of a country – the Singapore lodge having 336 members.

      At present the President of the Society is elected by all eligible
      members worldwide. According to the figures given in the July issue
      of the Theosophist, out of about 29,000 members worldwide, there were
      20,724 members eligible to vote, of whom 12,993 voted. Under the
      proposed rule, the General Council with only about 36 members will
      elect a President. On top of this, comes a proposed amendment
      providing that while the General Secretaries, who form a majority in
      the General Council, shall consult their Governing Bodies before
      casting votes for a Presidential candidate, they shall however vote
      according to their own judgment, and thus are free to override the
      views of their National Societys' Governing Bodies.

      A General Council which consists of about 36-37 members and does not
      have any place for about 26-27 countries which are not National
      Societies / Sections can elect a President by only about 18-19 of its
      members voting in favour of one particular candidate. Such a General
      Council is totally unfit to be given the power of electing an
      International President, which power and privilege has for a century
      now rested in the individual hands of its over 20,000 members
      worldwide, eligible to vote.

      The reason given for this basic amendment is that, "popular election
      by the full membership of a worldwide, multilingual body is fraught
      with complications. Not the least among those complications is the
      fact that most of the voting membership will have little or no
      knowledge of the candidates they are voting upon and hence their
      votes cannot be well informed".

      The Founders of the Society purposely set up the TS as an
      international body, with branches in all parts of the world, because
      its first object is to form a nucleus of the universal brotherhood of
      humanity, without distinction of race, creed, sex, caste or colour.
      They were certainly well aware that the world has a large number of
      countries and naturally the people therein were speaking different
      languages. They were also aware that long distances separated
      continent from continent and country from country. And yet, in their
      profound wisdom, they decided to involve every member of the TS in
      the world in the election of its International President, in order to
      forge links in the universal brotherhood of humanity. In the past 100
      years, even when travel was difficult and oral and written
      communication within different parts of the multilingual world was
      equally difficult, members of the TS the world over have, overall,
      voted sensibly and in a mature and responsible manner. To say that
      today, when the world has shrunk into a global village, votes of
      members of the TS cannot be well informed is, to put it mildly, a
      strange statement!

      The Theosophical Society is not a multinational corporation with its
      CEO and narrow business interests. It is an international body which
      seeks to promote universal brotherhood, deeper understanding of life
      and its purpose and selfless service. By virtue of the election of
      its President by individual members of the Society worldwide, the
      President gets directly linked to the members in a golden chain of
      brotherhood, which an election by the General Council of about 36
      members certainly does not and cannot achieve.

      It is unfortunate that for some reasons, this past election of the
      President caused some misunderstanding and unhappiness in certain
      quarters and it seems that these feelings are still simmering. It
      would therefore be most desirable to let 2-3 years pass and hurt
      feelings allowed to heal before even thinking about a major scheme of
      revolutionary changes in the Rules and Regulations of the TS. But
      even then, if there is insistence by some to change to election of
      the President by the General Council and not by individual members
      worldwide during the past 100 years or more, justice and respect for
      the deep feelings of brotherhood among members, demand that the
      proposed amendments should be referred to all the members of the
      Society worldwide in the same manner as in an election of a President
      at present.

      A Master of the Wisdom in The Mahatma Letters to AP Sinnet
      wrote, `the term "Universal Brotherhood" is no idle phrase…it is the
      only secure foundation for universal morality'.

      With best regards and warm greetings of the season,

      Yours fraternally

      Surendra Narayan"
    • Drpsionic@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 23 5:43 PM
        Brother John Algeo???

        Damn! My parents were a lot older than I thought they were.

        Chuck the Heretic

      • MKR
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 23 10:19 PM
          Me too reminded of the RC Brothers.

          mkr

          On 11/23/08, Drpsionic@... <Drpsionic@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > proposed amendments should be referred to all the members of the
          > Society worldwide in the same manner as in an election of a President
          > at present.
          >
          > A Master of the Wisdom in The Mahatma Letters to AP Sinnet
          > wrote, `the term "Universal Brotherhood" is no idle phrase…it is the
          > only secure foundation for universal morality'.
          >
          > With best regards and warm greetings of the season,
          >
          > Yours fraternally
          >
          > Surendra Narayan"
          >
          > **************One site has it all. Your email accounts, your social
          > networks,
          > and the things you love. Try the new AOL.com
          > today!(
          > http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1212962939x1200825291/aol?redir=http://www.aol.com/?optin=new-dp
          > %26icid=aolcom40vanity%26ncid=emlcntaolcom00000001)

        • MKR
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 24 5:22 AM
            Thanks for posting Surendra Narayan's letter. Narayan, a very long-time, and
            well known member of the TS, should be congratulated for his thoughtful and
            informative response.

            Since he was a former Vice President, he knows the structure and operation
            of TS and he has provided some more details of the issue of election by
            members.

            My first impression was that the proposal does not pass the smell test, at
            least for me. Each one of us, dues paying members, can come to our own
            conclusion as to the motivations and the circumstances and timing behind the
            proposal and contact our representatives and tell them our opinions on the
            matter. More later.

            MKR

            THERE IS NO RELIGION HIGHER THAN TRUTH

            For complete coverage of the discussions, go to:

            <http://www.teozofija.info/Teozofsko_gibanje/Healing_Time.htm>

          • Morten Nymann Olesen
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 24 8:16 AM
              Yeah.
              One of the more interesting answers about the issue.

              M. Sufilight