Trying to Clarify Carlos' Specific Statement about Using Soloviof's Book

  • danielhcaldwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 9, 2006
      Trying to Clarify Carlos' Specific Statement
      about Using Soloviof's Book

      Carlos, sometime ago you wrote:

      Why should anyone EXCEPT a slanderer consider Soloviof a legitimate
      source of historical information?

      But -- why USING Soloviof as a source if you are not a slanderer?

      caps added.

      So Carlos, are you saying that any writer who uses Soloviof's book
      as a legitimate source for historical information is a "slanderer"?

      For example, if some writer (let us say Paul Johnson or John Algeo
      or ....) wrote a book which contains the following two quotes or
      similar quotes from Solovyoff's book, would you consider the writer
      to be a "slanderer"?? Please refer to your own words ABOVE.

      Now the two quotes:

      Quote One
      In the latter part of 1877, H.P.B. told others that she was planning
      to go to the East. She wrote to a Russian correspondent Mr. Aksakov:

      "We have now a multitude of corresponding fellows in India, and are
      proposing next year to set off for Ceylon and to settle there, as
      headquarters of our society." (A Modern Priestess of Isis, p. 277.)

      Quote 2
      H.P.B. writes about her first book ISIS UNVEILED as follows:

      "Well, my book has appeared at last. My darling was born last
      Saturday, September 29th, but a week ealier my publisher had sent
      pre-publication copies to the editors of all the papers. I am
      enclosing herewith the review in the New York Herald...." (letter
      by H.P.B. to N.A. Aksakov from V.S. Solovyov's A Modern Priestess of
      Isis (London, 1895).

      So if some writer wrote a book which contains the ABOVE two quotes
      or similar quotes from Solovyoff's book (that is, they are
      USING Soloviof as a legitimate source of historical information by
      quoting HPB's letters in MODERN PRIESTESS OF ISIS), would
      you consider the writer to be a "slanderer"??

      Again I ask this in light of your own words which I quoted at the
      very first of this posting.

      I am trying to clarify and understand exactly what you mean in your
      statements as given.