Publication of the ‘Solovyoff letters’

  • plcoles1
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2006
      Hi All,
      Just wanted to give my perspective on the publication of the
      Solovyoff letters, for what its worth.

      On any subject we need to look at all the facts and points of view,
      not only those that may satisfy our own beliefs and emotional
      attachments.

      I personally think that the publication of these letters is not in
      itself the point of contention but rather that in part the letters
      are included in the volume without adequately alerting the reader to
      there controversial and the reputedly fraudulent nature of them.

      Scholars and students need to investigate all information with
      objectivity and then make an assessment based on those findings,
      always open to new information as it presents itself.

      As students of Blavatsky's and the Mahatma's writings we need to make
      sure we don't treat either their personalities or their writings as
      being beyond reproach.

      I am sure this is not what they would have wanted either as in order
      to maintain a truly open and enquiring mind we need to be prepared to
      try and look at things freshly and without prejudice.

      Blavatsky was not a perfect person by any stretch of the imagination,
      nor did the Mahatmas ever claim infallibility, in fact nothing in
      this cosmos is perfect as far as we know, so why fall into this trap
      of putting HPB or anyone else on a too high a pedestal, not only is
      it unfair to the person it is also the road to dogmatism and
      religious devotion of the worst kind.

      Having said that we should protest if we feel an injustice has been
      done and then back it up with what factual information we have at
      hand.

      Cheers

      Perry
    • danielhcaldwell
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 8, 2006
        Perry,

        You write:

        Just wanted to give my perspective on the publication of the
        Solovyoff letters, for what its worth....

        I personally think that the publication of these letters is not in
        itself the point of contention but rather that in part the letters
        are included in the volume without adequately alerting the reader to
        there controversial and the reputedly fraudulent nature of them

        But Perry apparently in the new volume of "Authentic Letters of
        H.P.B." (Carlos' phrase) now under preparation the letters in
        dispute will simply NOT be included in the volume. They will have
        been removed. I am going on the information provided in several
        issues of the Aquarian Theosophist.

        Daniel
      • plcoles1
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 9, 2006
          Hello Daniel,
          If another volume is produced without these letters, this as far as I can see seems to be
          based on honourable and ethical reasons, as there is considerable doubt that HPB actually
          wrote the letters in question.

          The Wheaton edition could easily have put the `Solovyoff's' letters into a separate chapter
          with sufficient preamble and background to clarify the nature of the letters to the reader.

          Cheers

          Perry