Did the SPR abandon all charges against HPB???

  • danielhcaldwell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 8, 2006
      Did the Society for Psychical Research abandon all
      charges against H.P. Blavatsky???

      Yesterday I wrote to Leslie Price:

      Dear Leslie,

      ...I see that today on Theos-Talk Carlos Aveline
      writes:

      "...the Society for Psychical Research, SPR abandoned
      all charges against HPB, precisely because they were
      evidently false and molre -- ABSURD."

      I didn't know the SPR had a corporate view on this!

      Did the legal governing body of the SPR vote on this
      and declare in some way or another that they disowned
      or abandoned the Hodgson Report, etc?

      Mr. Aveline has written about this several times in
      the last few months on Theos-Talk.

      I am not aware that the SPR has done this, are you?

      If this is not true (what Aveline is writing), then
      297 subscribers to Theos-Talk are being misinformed.

      Are you willing to state the real facts about this
      issue on Theos-Talk?

      Leslie Price was kind enough to reply and has given me
      permission to post the following statement by him here
      on Theos-Talk:

      As one who has served twice on the SPR Council, and
      who was involved in the arrangements for the publication
      of Vernon's paper in JSPR April 1986, I can confirm
      that the Society has no collective view on Theosophical
      phenomena. The Council may have associated itself
      to an undue extent with its 1885 Report, not least
      in its later support for the Solovyoff translation.
      But in publishing Vernon's paper, they did not at the
      same time cancel the 1885 report - in the way that
      for example, a scientific publication might withdraw
      a discredited paper on human cloning. All the published
      material - including the little known first and provisional
      report of the SPR committee - remains available for study.

      I have written previously on this [Theos-Talk] forum
      (May 8 2003) about the major constructive significance of
      Vernon's work. He made it possible for everyone to move
      forward.

      Blavatsky Study Center
      http://blavatskyarchives.com