Leadbeater versus Koot Hoomi on "God"

  • danielhcaldwell
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 12, 2005
      In an article in THE THEOSOPHIST, June 1919,
      C.W. Leadbeater wrote:

      "...we, among ourselves, do not think it is
      necessary that anyone should intercede for us
      with God, because we hold that God is a loving
      Father, that He is already doing the best that
      can possibly be done under the circumstances
      for every one of his creatures...."

      Compare the above with the following from
      Master K.H.:

      "Neither our philosophy nor ourselves believe in
      a God, least of all in one whose pronoun
      necessitates a capital H....we deny God both
      as philosophers and as Buddhists...."

      "You speak of an intelligent and good -- (the
      attribute is rather unfortunately chosen) -
      Father, a moral guide and governor of the
      universe and man....how do you or how can
      you know that your God is all wise, omnipotent
      and love-ful, when everything in nature, physical
      and moral, proves such a being, if he does exist,
      to be quite the reverse of all you say of him?
      Strange delusion and one which seems to overpower
      your very intellect."

      "I dread the appearance in print of our philosophy
      as expounded by Mr. H[ume]....He makes of us Agnostics!!
      We do not believe in God because so far we have no proof,
      etc. This is preposterously ridiculous....He says
      that people will not accept the whole truth; that unless
      we humour them with a hope that there may be a 'loving
      Father and creator of all in heaven' our philosophy
      will be rejected a priori....."