RE: [theosophia] RE: Theos-World Blavatsky's writing was cause of every split in the TS

  • W.Dallas TenBroeck
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 12, 2005
      12/12/2005 3:38 AM

      Dear Richard Pouncy and friends:

      re: SECRET DOCTRINE - teaches

      As I see it, Mme. H. P. Blavatsky wrote:

      "But it is perhaps desirable to state unequivocally that the teachings,
      however fragmentary and incomplete, contained in these volumes. . . . "

      But the student should also keep in mind the statements in the SD:

      ". . . the SECRET DOCTRINE is not a treatise, or a series of vague
      theories, but contains all that can be given out to the world in this
      century." The S D, Vol I, p. xxxviii

      If we accept this as reasonable, (she used: "this century") the statement
      is true even if more were given out beginning as early as 1899.

      On this page [The S D, Vol I, p. xxxviii ] Madame Blavatsky writes:

      "But it will take centuries before much more is given from it [Secret
      Archaic Doctrine]. . . . "

      Study the correspondence with the Masters of Wisdom. Do they do not evoke
      an echo from one's own innate center of wisdom? If so, then, does this not
      add further testimony ?

      If we accept what she writes as accurate, this indicates that some more may
      be given in the intervening centuries before "much more" is given.

      In August, 1888, Master K.H. wrote this to Colonel Olcott who was on board
      the S. S. Shannon:

      "[The Secret Doctrine is] . . . an epitome of occult truths that will make
      it a source of information and instruction for the earnest student for long
      years to come. . . ."

      He added:

      "Be assured that [in The Secret Doctrine] what she [HPB] has not annotated
      from scientific and other works, we have given or suggested to her. Every
      mistake or erroneous notion, corrected and explained by her from the works
      of other theosophists was corrected by me, or under my instruction."

      One could compare this statement with what Madame Blavatsky said in the SD.
      She writes:

      "Mistakes have now to be checked by the original teachings and corrected. .
      . ."

      "Among such . . . [was] the erroneous statement that two of the superior
      Globes of the terrestrial chain were two of our well-known planets:

      ".besides the Earth . . . there are only two other worlds of our chain which
      are visible. . . . Mars and Mercury. . . .' (Esoteric Buddhism; p. 136.)

      "This was a great mistake. . . ."

      ". . . neither Mars nor Mercury belong to our chain. They are, along with
      the other planets, septenary Units in the great host of "chains" of our
      system, and all are as visible as their upper globes are invisible. . . ."

      "When the present work was commenced, the writer [H.P. Blavatsky herself] ,
      feeling sure that the speculation about Mars and Mercury was a mistake,
      applied to the Teachers [the Mahatmas] by letter for explanation and an
      authoritative version. Both came in due time, and verbatim extracts from
      these are now given.

      '. . . . both (Mars and Mercury) are septenary chains, as independent of the
      Earth's sidereal lords and superiors as you are independent of the
      'principles' of Daumling (Tom Thumb) -- which were perhaps his six brothers,
      with or without night-caps. . . . '. . .

      '. . . Our Globe, as taught from the first, is at the bottom of the arc of
      descent, where the matter of our perceptions exhibits itself in its grossest
      form. . . .

      Hence it only stands to reason that the globes which overshadow our Earth
      must be on different and superior planes. In short, as Globes, they are in
      COADUNITION but not IN CONSUBSTANTIALITY WITH OUR EARTH and thus pertain to
      quite another state of consciousness. . .

      What I wrote [the Mahatma K.H., referring to his letters to Mrs. Sinnett and
      Hume] was:

      'The minor Pralaya concerns only our little STRINGS OF GLOBES.' (We called
      chains 'Strings' in those days of lip-confusion.) . . . 'To such a string
      our Earth belongs.' This ought to have shown plainly that the other planets
      were also 'strings' or CHAINS. . .'

      "It becomes patent why we could not perceive, even with the help of the best
      earthly telescopes, that which is outside our world of matter. Those alone,
      whom we call adepts, who know how to direct
      their mental vision and to transfer their consciousness -- physical and
      psychic both -- to other planes of being, are able to speak with authority
      on such subjects. And they tell us plainly: -- . . .

      '. . . Be prudent, we say, prudent and wise, and above all take care what
      those who learn from you believe in; lest by deceiving themselves they
      deceive others . . . . .' "

      I hope this helps,