Conspiracy

  • gregory@zeta.org.au
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2005
      I received a considerable number of wonderful letters "explaining" conspiracies
      relating to Leadbeater when my biography of him was first published.

      The disciples offered "explanations" - there was a conspiracy by "The Blacks" to
      undermine Leadbeater's reputation and they had tampered with the records;
      Leadbeater wanted to prevent (why?) a biography being written and had occultly
      changed the records (yes, I know....but the conspiracy mindset doesn't
      necessarily include rationality); that I was a Jesuit paid by the Vatican to
      tell lies about Leadbeater (I still waiting for the cheque)...and, of course,
      the "multiple Leadbeaters" theory.

      Those hostile to Leadbeater also offered some bizarre conspiracy theories. My
      favourite (from the USA) was that Leadbeater was a Jesuit and the "missing
      seven years" (1847-1854) represented the seven years training Jesuits
      undertake! The more I tried to explain that the seven years were not "missing"
      the more it was insisted that they were! Others assured me that Leadbeater was
      an agent of (if not one of) "The Blacks" sent by the "Dugpas" to destroy pure
      Theosophy.

      No doubt some members of the forum will be aware of the range of books arguing
      that Theosophy is part of the Jewish-Masonic-Illuminati, etc, etc, conspiracy.
      Three of the most entertaining are Lady Queensborough's "Occult Theocracy",
      'Inquire Within's' "Trail of the Serpent" and Nesta Webster's "Secret Societies
      and Subversive Movement".