the Masters are the "bridge,"

  • W.Dallas TenBroeck
    Message 1 of 1 , May 3, 2005
      May 3 2005

      Dear -------

      You were right in saying that our relations are as they are by reason of
      that which has been, undoubtedly, but I would not have you look on me in the
      light of a spiritual Guru.

      Think of me as kindly as you will, but do not place me on any pedestal; let
      me be a pilot who will be most glad to help with any charts and guidance. In
      reality the Masters are Those to whom we should turn our thoughts in
      meditation. They are the "bridge," as W. Q. J. says in one of the "Letters."

      I do not mean by all this that I think you were placing me in a position
      where none but the blessed Masters should be placed, but I am saying these
      things so that you may see that it is not the best thing to rely upon any
      living person, I mean to the extent of idealizing him; for if such an one
      should be swept into seeming darkness for a time, its effect would not be
      good and might dishearten.

      I am glad to know that you are so full of the idea of work for humanity;
      those who are really "touched" by the inner fire are usually so, and it is a
      good sign.

      The desire to be and to do comes out strongly and clears the way for the
      true and permanent growth with its expansion and retardation-which means
      growth and solidification-necessary processes as we see two kinds of trees,
      one of which denudes itself entirely and remains expressionless for a large
      part of its cycle, and another which slowly and continually renews itself in
      every part, never ceasing to give expression, and often holding in evidence
      the old leaf, the new leaf, the blossom and the fruit. Both of these are
      nature's processes.

      Speaking of those who have fallen by the wayside, it is quite true that "the
      greater the height the greater the effort to preserve equilibrium"; but this
      applies particularly when the height is an intellectual rather than a
      spiritual one, and where the motive is tinged with a desire for
      self-advancement regardless of the paramount duty to selves.

      Very often the ostensible motive is not the real one, and in this we
      frequently deceive ourselves. Ambition also comes in; the desire for the
      approbation of our fellows may cloud our vision in our effort to maintain
      it. There are many temptations, some of which may come disguised as angels
      of light.

      Our best safe-guard is an unselfish desire to benefit others, with no
      anxiety about our own progress, while striving all the time to make
      ourselves the better able to help and teach others.

      There are two doctrines spoken of in the Wisdom Religion, viz., the doctrine
      of the Eye (or Head) and the doctrine of the Heart;

      (1) the doctrine of the Eye is the intellectual one,

      (2) the doctrine of the Heart is spiritual, where knowledge springs up
      spontaneously within.

      It is this latter which you crave, and which I can assure you Theosophy will
      lead you to. There is no need to grope, nor stagger, nor stray, for the
      chart that has led many to the goal is in your hands in the philosophy of
      Theosophy.

      And let me say here to you: do not be too anxious; abide the time when your
      own inner demands shall open the doors, for those Great Ones who I know
      exist see every pure-hearted earnest disciple, and are ready to give a turn
      to the key of knowledge when the time in the disciple's progress is ripe.

      No one who strives to tread the path is left unhelped; the Great Ones see
      his "light," and he is given what is needed for his better development.

      That light is not mere poetical imagery, but is actual, and its character
      denotes one's spiritual condition; there are no veils on that plane of
      seeing.

      The help must be of that nature which leaves perfect freedom of thought and
      action; otherwise, the lessons would not be learned. Mistakes will occur,
      perhaps many of them, but, as is said, "twenty failures are not irremediable
      if followed by as many undaunted struggles upward."

      The help will come for the most part in ordinary ways and from one or
      another of the companions with whom you were possibly connected in other
      lives, and whom your soul will recognize.

      The Great White Lodge exists for the service of humanity;

      They need and welcome workers in the world.

      Is it strange, then, that the light of souls attracted toward the path of
      unselfishness should receive Their cognition, and when deserved-when needed
      - such succor as Karma permits?

      They, Themselves, have written, "Ingratitude is not one of our vices"; and
      while we may not claim gratitude from Them, yet we may be sure that
      compassion absolute is there, and with it the understanding of the nature
      and needs of each aspirant.

      There may, and there often does come a time when one feels, as you say, like
      "standing on nothing, in nothing and about to topple over."

      The center of consciousness has been changed; old landmarks are slipping
      away, and some times black doubt ensues.

      Doubt and fear belong only to the- personal consciousness; the real
      Perceiver, the Higher Ego has neither. The Gita says, "cast aside all doubt
      and fight on."

      You may remember what Judge says in one of the "Letters," likening such
      condition to the case of one on a strange path and suddenly surrounded by a
      fog; the way is obscured, danger may lie in any direction; the thing to do
      is to stand still and wait, for it is only a fog-and fogs always lift. And
      never for one moment think that you are not going on with your "journey."

      It is well for us if we can always have deep down in our heart of hearts the
      consciousness of the nearness of Masters; by Their very nature They must be
      near to every true aspirant.

      May I add one word to you, as a friend and brother: make clean and clear,
      first, the mental conceptions and perceptions; the rest will follow
      naturally; there will be no destruction-the Undesirable will die a natural
      death.

      "Grow as the flowers grow," from within outwards.

      As ever,