Koot Hoomi and Blavatsky on Life in the Astral World (KamaLoka)

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 8, 2005
      A mother dies, leaving behind her little helpless children --
      orphans whom she adores -- perhaps a beloved husband also. We say
      that her "Spirit" or Ego. . . is now entirely separated from
      the "vale of tears," that its future bliss consists in that blessed
      ignorance of all the woes it left behind. Spiritualists say, on the
      contrary, that it is as vividly aware of them, and more so than
      before, for "Spirits see more than mortals in the flesh do." . . .
      According to their [spiritualists'] doctrine, unfortunate man is not
      liberated even by death from the sorrows of this life. Not a drop
      from the life-cup of pain and suffering will miss his lips; and
      nolens volens, since he sees everything now, shall he drink it to
      the bitter dregs. Thus, the loving wife, who during her lifetime was
      ready to save her husband sorrow at the price of her heart's blood,
      is now doomed to see, in utter helplessness, his despair, and to
      register every hot tear he sheds for her loss. . . . [But according
      to the esoteric teaching] the spirit is dazed after death and falls
      very soon into what we call "pre-devachanic
      unconsciousness." . . . . H.P. Blavatsky The Key to Theosophy,
      original 1889 edition, pp. 146-147 & 151.

      Thus, when man dies, his "Soul" (5th principle)
      becomes unconscious and loses all remembrance of
      things internal as well as external. Whether his
      stay in Kama Loka has to last but a few moments,
      hours, days, weeks, months or years; whether he died
      a natural or a violent death; whether it occurred in
      his young or old age, and whether the Ego was good,
      bad, or indifferent, - his consciousness leaves him
      as suddenly as the flame leaves the wick, when
      blown out. When life has retired from the last
      particle in the brain matter, his perceptive
      faculties become extinct forever, his spiritual
      powers of cogitation and volition - (all those
      faculties in short, which are neither inherent
      in, nor acquirable by organic matter) - for the
      time being. Koot Hoomi, ML 125

      Every just disembodied four-fold entity - whether it died a natural
      or a violent death, from suicide or accident, mentally sane or
      insane, young or old, good, bad, or indifferent - loses at the
      instant of death all recollection, it is mentally annihilated; it
      sleeps its akasic sleep in the Kama Loka. This state lasts from a
      few hours (rarely less), days, weeks, months - sometimes to several
      years. All this according to the entity, to its mental status at the
      moment of death, to the character of its death, etc. Koot Hoomi, ML
      184

      In Kama Loka those who retain their remembrance, will not enjoy it
      at the supreme hour of recollection. Those who know they are dead in
      their physical bodies can only be either adepts - or sorcerers; and
      these two are the exceptions to the general rule. Both having
      been "co-workers with nature", the former for good, the latter - for
      bad, in her work of creation and in that of destruction, they are
      the only ones who may be called immortal - in the Kabalistic and the
      esoteric sense of course. Koot Hoomi ML 124

      Our correspondent seems to have been misled as to the state of
      consciousness which entities experience in Kama-loka. He seems to
      have formed his conceptions on the visions of living psychics and
      the revelations of living mediums. But all conclusions drawn from
      such data are vitiated by the fact, that a living organism
      intervenes between the observer and the Kama-loka state per se.
      There can be no conscious meeting in Kama-loka, hence no grief.
      There is no astral disintegration pari passu with the separation of
      the shell from the spirit.

      According to the Eastern teaching the state of the deceased in Kama-
      loka is not what we, living men, would recognize as "conscious". It
      is rather that of a person stunned and dazed by a violent blow, who
      has momentarily "lost his senses". Hence in Kama-loka there is as a
      rule (apart from vicarious life and consciousness awakened through
      contact with mediums) no recognition of friends or relatives.

      We meet those we loved only in Devachan, that subjective world of
      perfect bliss, the state which succeeds the Kama-loka, after the
      separation of the principles. In Devachan all our personal,
      unfulfilled spiritual desires and aspirations will be realized; for
      we shall not be living in the hard world of matter but in those
      subjective realms wherein a desire finds its instant realization;
      because man himself is there a god and a creator.

      In dealing with the dicta of psychics and mediums, it must always be
      remembered that they translate, automatically and unconsciously,
      their experiences on any plane of consciousness, into the language
      and experience of our normal physical plane. And this confusion can
      only be avoided by the special study-training of occultism, which
      teaches how to trace and guide the passage of impressions from one
      plane to another and fix them on the memory.

      Kama-loka may be compared to the dressing-room of an actor, in which
      he divests himself of the costume of the last part he played before
      rebecoming himself properly - the immortal Ego of the Pilgrim
      cycling in his Round of Incarnations. The Eternal Ego being stripped
      in Kama-loka of its lower terrestrial principles, with their
      passions and desires, it enters into the state of Devachan. And
      therefore it is said that only the purely spiritual, the non-
      material emotions, affections and aspirations accompany the Ego into
      that state of Bliss. But the process of stripping off the lower, the
      fourth and part of the fifth, principles is an unconscious one in
      all normal human beings. It is only in very exceptional cases that
      there is a slight return to consciousness in Kama-loka: and this is
      the case of very materialistic unspiritual personalities, who,
      devoid of the conditions requisite, cannot enter the state of
      absolute Rest and Bliss. H.P. Blavatsky, CW IX, 163

      Reviving consciousness begins after the struggle in Kama-Loka at the
      door of Devachan, and only after the "gestation period." . . .
      Master K.H. The Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinnett, 3rd edition, p.197.

      . . . In that world. . . we find but unconscious, self-acting, ex-
      human machines, souls in their transition state, whose dormant
      faculties and individuality lie as a butterfly in its chrysalis; and
      Spiritualists would yet have them talk sense! . . . Master K.H. The
      Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinnett, 3rd edition, p. 48.

      But why should they [the dead] "communicate" [with the
      living]? . . . how can an unconscious 5th principle [Manas - the
      Mind] . . . impress or communicate with a living organism . . . ?
      Master K.H. The Mahatma Letters to A.P. Sinnett, 3rd edition, p.
      129-130

      Daniel
      Blavatsky Study Center
      http://blavatskyarchives.com