Do the dead then see us?

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8 8:31 AM
      C.W. Leadbeater wrote:

      Do the dead then see us? may be asked; do
      they hear what we say? Undoubtedly they see
      us in the sense that they are always conscious
      of our presence, that they know whether we are
      happy or miserable; but they do not hear the
      words we say, nor are they conscious in detail
      of our physical actions. A moment's thought will
      show us what are the limits of their power to see.
      They are inhabiting, what we have called the
      "spiritual body," a body which exists in ourselves,
      and is, as far as appearance goes, an exact
      duplicate of the physical body; but while we
      are awake our consciousness is focused exclusively
      in the latter. We have already said that just as
      only physical matter appeals to the physical body,
      so only the matter of the spiritual world is
      discernible by that higher body. Therefore, what
      the dead man can see of us is only our spiritual
      body, which, however, he has no difficulty in recognizing. When we
      are what we call asleep, our consciousness is using that vehicle,
      and so to the dead man we are awake; but when we transfer our
      consciousness to the physical body, it seems to the dead man that we
      fall asleep, because though he still sees us, we are no longer
      paying any attention to him or able to communicate with him. When a
      living friend falls asleep we are quite aware of his presence, but
      for the moment we cannot communicate with him. Precisely similar is
      the condition of the living man (while he is awake) in the eyes of
      the dead. Because we cannot usually remember in our waking
      consciousness what we have seen during sleep, we are under the
      delusion that we have lost our dead; but they are never under the
      delusion that they have lost us, because they can see us all the
      time. To them the only difference is that we are with them during
      the night and away from them during the day; whereas when they were
      on earth with us, exactly the reverse was the case.

      Now this which, following St. Paul, we have been calling
      the "spiritual body" (it is more usually spoken of as the astral
      body) is especially the vehicle of our feelings and emotions; it is
      therefore these feelings and emotions of ours which show themselves
      most clearly to the eyes of the dead. If we are joyous, they
      instantly observe it, but they do not necessarily know the reason of
      the joy; if sadness comes over us, they at once realize it and share
      it, even though they may not know why we are sad. All this, of
      course, is during our waking hours; when we are asleep, they
      converse with us as of yore on earth. Here in our physical life we
      can dissemble our feelings; in that higher world this is impossible,
      for they show themselves instantly in visible change. Since so many
      of our thoughts are connected with our feelings, most of these also
      are readily obvious in that world; but anything in the nature of
      abstract thought is still hidden.

      Quoted from:

      To Those Who Mourn
      by C W. Leadbeater