To Dennis Kier: about THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT book

  • Blavatsky Archives
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2001
      Dear Dennis,

      Concerning the book THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT [both
      1925 and 1951 editions], you will notice that in the
      chapters on Katherine Tingley that the anonymous ULT
      writer tries his best to throw doubt on certain
      quotations attributed to William Q. Judge. These
      quotations are found in the E.S.T. circular headed "To
      the Members of the E.S.T." and dated "April 3rd,
      1896."

      Looking on page 9 of this circular, I find the
      following:

      "This is the 'Rajah's' [Judge's] statement in regard
      to our new Outer Head [Mrs. Tingley]: 'This Head is
      as true as steel, as clear as a diamond, as lasting as
      time.'"

      Judge's statement is in italics.

      It would appear that the anonymous ULT writer
      considered this as one of the many bogus Judge
      quotations to be found in the 1896 document.

      Yet in 1902 Robert Crosbie not only spoke of Mrs.
      Tingley as Judge's "chosen succesor" but gives in the
      following words this same Judge quote:

      "We feel that he [William Q. Judge] knows of the
      self-sacrificing efforts made by the faithful ones,
      and that those efforts have been called forth by his
      chosen successor [Mrs Tingley], of whom he [Judge]
      said, 'she is true as steel, as clear as diamond, and
      as lasting as time.'"

      In 1902 Robert Crosbie had no doubt that this quote
      was bona fide Judge. Later he must have changed his
      mind.

      SIDE NOTE: In the E.S.T. circular of 1896 are many
      other quotations attributed to Judge and said to be
      taken from one or more of Judge's diaries. The ULT's
      THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT book considers these bogus, ie.
      not written by W.Q. Judge. They are considered
      concoctions and fakes but I have seen the original of
      Judge's 1894 diary and it appears to be in Judge's
      handwriting. Many of the quotes in the 1896 circular
      are to be found in this 1894 diary. I also have a
      transcription of this diary. Also I have seen
      photocopies in what appears to be Judge's handwriting
      of other quotes that are found in the 1896 circular.

      Daniel

      =====
      Daniel H. Caldwell
      info@...
      BLAVATSKY ARCHIVES
      http://blavatskyarchives.com
      You can always access BLAVATSKY ARCHIVES
      by simply typing into the URL address bar
      the following 6 characters: hpb.cc

      http://im.yahoo.com/