Robert Crosbie's 1907 opinion of Katherine Tingley

  • Blavatsky Archives
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11 2:44 PM
      SUBJECT: Robert Crosbie's 1907 opinion of Katherine
      Tingley

      Dallas Tenbroeck has recently allowed Katinka
      Hesselink on her website to publish a complete copy of
      "autobiographical notes" written by Robert Crosbie.
      In these notes dated March 24th, 1907, Crosbie writes:

      "I went to Point Loma at Mrs. Tingley's urgent request
      to assist in the proposed work, and was there for two
      years, helping to prepare the way for the expected
      developments, before I began to get back the touch I
      had lost. I am slow to turn back from any task I have
      set myself, and am prone to excuse inconsistencies and
      deviation in others, so that although I had begun to
      doubt, and to see, it was more than a year afterwards
      before I saw so clearly and unmistakably that I took
      occasion to tell Mrs. T. the facts as I saw them, and
      to state my intention to withdraw from all connection
      with her. She tried of course in every way to change
      my determination, but finding me unchangeable, she let
      me go, and as I afterwards heard, gave out that she
      had sent me away for 'bad conduct'--just what I do not
      know. This of course, to 'save her own face' as the
      Chinese say. I am quite will aware of her capacities
      in the above direction form the history of others who
      had discovered her real character, and left; there is
      no slander too low or mean for her to use in such
      cases to justify herself. Sorry as I am to say it,
      such is the character of Katherine Tingley, the Leader
      of the Theosophical Movement Throughout the World, as
      she styles herself--(there is more of it that is
      simply too nauseating to write.) It was a hard
      schooling for me, but it had its good uses and
      effects. I feel no enmity towards her; I truly pity
      her and would help her do right any time it might be
      in my power. I also feel most deeply towards those who
      are held in mental bondage by her; but nothing can be
      done--they must open their own eyes, they mare not in
      a condition to have them opened by anyone else."
      Quoted from:
      http://www.geocities.com/ondkh/his/dtb_7.htm#bionotes

      These are quite strong words and one wonders exactly
      what Robert Crosbie is referring to. Dallas, are
      there other letters or documents by Crosbie that shed
      more light and give more details on the above?

      More light needs to be thrown on Crosbie's words
      because it is now known that less than five years
      BEFORE Crosbie had written the above, he had in a
      public address (1902) spoken highly of Mrs. Tingley:

      ". . . we who have the privilege of assembling at this
      place and taking part in this ceremony of sweet and
      grateful remembrance---know that the establishment of
      this great Center [by Mrs Tingley at Point Loma,
      Calfornia] is a realization of what William Q. Judge
      lived for, worked for, hoped for, and we cannot but
      feel deep in our hearts that he knows and rejoices
      with us today.

      "We feel that he knows of the self-sacrificing efforts
      made by the faithful ones, and that those efforts have
      been called forth by his chosen successor [Mrs
      Tingley], of whom he said, "she is true as steel, as
      clear as diamond, and as lasting as time."

      "By her work has she [Mrs Tingley] shown to all men
      her fitness to demonstrate the principles laid down by
      H.P. Blavatsky and W.Q. Judge, by making them
      practical in the daily life of mankind.

      "Her [Mrs Tingley's] work and our work stand today as
      an offering of gratitude and love to that noble soul
      and loving human heart, whom we knew as W.Q. Judge."
      Quoted from:
      http://members.tripod.com/davidgreen_2/robertcrosbie.html

      Dallas, can you throw any additional light (by citing
      evidence in the form of letters and documents) on this
      remarkable, radical change of position by Crosbie?

      Daniel

      =====
      Daniel H. Caldwell
      info@...
      BLAVATSKY ARCHIVES
      http://blavatskyarchives.com
      You can always access BLAVATSKY ARCHIVES
      by simply typing into the URL address bar
      the following 6 characters: hpb.cc

      http://im.yahoo.com/
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13 5:53 AM
        Monday, August 13, 2001

        Dear Dan:

        The passage quoted from Mr. Crosbie is (as far as I have been
        able to determine) alone.

        I have not come across others in which he refers to this affair.

        As to his earlier words, letters, etc, I would hazard a guess,
        that while a member of the Point Loma THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY (and
        not in close touch with Mrs. T. until he was asked to come there)
        I have to assume that they were said in all honesty at the time
        they were produced.

        If later some emergent evidence made a difference to an earlier
        view, then I would in turn suggest that he expressed an honest
        expression of difference. Something made a change. I think we
        all have had analogous experiences in our lives.

        Best wishes,

        Dallas