Re: Theos-World 1885 "The Occult World", written by A.P. Sinnett is published.

  • Frank Reitemeyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 9, 2001
      Daniel:
      This reminds me of Robert Crosbie's confusion in the
      following statement:

      "At the time I joined the T.S. H.P.B. was in India,
      and had started "The Theosophist" magazine there.
      Judge had begun the publication of the "Path". There
      was little else in the way of Theosophical literature.
      "Man--Or Fragments of Forgotten Truth" came next; this
      was later expanded into Esoteric Buddhism; "The Occult
      World", "The Key to Theosophy" came in rapid
      succession."
      http://www.geocities.com/ondkh/his/dtb_7.htm

      No, "Man" was NOT later expanded into "Esoteric
      Buddhism." "Esoteric Buddhism" by Sinnett was first
      published in 1883 and "Man" by Mohini Chatterji and
      Laura Holloway came two years LATER in 1885. "The
      Occult World" (1881) did NOT come in rapid succession
      AFTER "Man" and "Esoteric Buddhism". It is true that
      HPB's KEY was later published in 1889. There are even
      more confusion in this quoted statement by Robert
      Crosbie.

      I know all of this is somewhat trivial but it is
      important to set the record straight even on minor
      points.

      Frank:
      You are quite right, Daniel, there are other errors, too in Crosbie's
      statement. Another example would be:
      "At the time I joined the T.S. H.P.B. was in India, and had started "The
      Theosophist" magazine there. Judge had begun the publication of the "Path".

      That is not correct. The Theosophist was started in October 1879, but Judge
      started his Path in April 1886, seven years later, btw, when he returned
      from his final initiatio in South America.

      But what is more important than these mere minor errors are Crosbie's
      misunderstandings of some teachings. I'll present some examples in the next
      time as time permits.