The Voice of Silence.

  • AnandaYoga@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
      I am currently studying The Voice of Silence and I am puzzled. Please give
      my your thoughts on verses 14-16.
      My confusion lies in this, I live in a world of created illusion, yet
      should I not be joyful that I have this physical life to learn about the
      portion of truth that my mind can understand.
      Also, to truely form a Brotherhood, must we not lend an ear to her
      turmoil? How can we understand the nature of others, if we do not hear her
      joys and sorrows? We should not get pulled in. Shouldn't an aspirant learn
      of whom one day he hopes to help?
      Finally, When spreading oneself in space so that the bodies become the
      moving molecules of space, for now, in my comprehension, is this not just a
      step on Who I am? It is not Truth, yet for now, it is a step in my education
      and all that I know? Of course one would seek to go beyond this point, yet,
      for now "This is I."
      Please help clarify my thinking, as I have meditated and slept and am
      trying with great difficulty to put it in perspective.
      Thank you to you for your time and help.
      ananda

    • Peter Merriott
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
        Ananda,

        Could you let us know what these verses state? In my copy of The Voice of
        the Silence the verses are not numbered.

        As for "lending an ear"... Have a look a page 33 in the original version.

        "To live to benefit mankind is the first step. To practice the six glorious
        virtues is the second."

        or page 12:

        "Let thy Soul lend its ear to every cry of pain like as the lotus bares its
        heart to drink the morning sun. Let not the fierce Sun dry one tear of
        pain before thyself hast wiped it from the sufferer's eye. But let each
        burning human tear drop on thy heart and there remain, nor ever brush it
        off, until the pain that caused it is removed."

        You ask, should we be joyful that we have this physical life to learn about
        the truth? I think the answer is "Yes" providing we see it as a stage to
        pass through, and "no" if we believe any lasting happiness can be found
        therein. Is this not the "First Hall" mentioned in the VOICE (page 6)?

        ... "in which thou sawest the light, in which thou livest and shalt die"?

        "If thou would'st cross this first Hall safely, let not thy mind mistake the
        fires of lust that burn therein for the Sunlight of live."

        Could you say a little more about what you mean by "spreading oneself in
        space" and where that relates to the VOICE?

        One might say our true nature is SPACE, and that to rest in that SPACE is to
        let go of our 'grasping' and rest in our true Nature - well, perhaps we may
        have moments.

        regards,

        Peter

      • Eldon B Tucker
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
          At 09:55 AM 8/9/01 -0400, you wrote:

          > I am currently studying The Voice of Silence and I am puzzled.
          > Please give my your thoughts on verses 14-16.
          >
          > My confusion lies in this, I live in a world of created illusion,
          > yet should I not be joyful that I have this physical life to
          > learn about the portion of truth that my mind can understand.

          I would say that the world is real. Illusion comes from
          misperception, from seeing things falsely. Reality comes when we
          know things for what they are, seeing them freshly, in the moment,
          rather than judging them in advance and surrounding ourselves with
          those prejudices.

          Life can be joyous. Pleasure and pain come at different times, but
          we don't have to suffer and add mental misery to our unpleasant
          experiences. We can operate from a inner center of peace, with a
          calm enjoyment of life, as the wind blows this way and that, as
          external life cycles through happy and sad times, through gain and
          loss, through success and failure in life.

          We escape the illusion when we give up forcing, in our minds, the
          world to look a particular way, according to what we've already
          decided that it should be like.

          Reality is not achieved should we acquire rebirth on a higher
          plane, in some higher sphere where things are loftier, more
          spiritual, more holy. It's achieved in the clearness of our vision
          of life, in our openness to things. We can be as deluded on other
          planes as on this one. The delusion comes from how we incorrectly
          experience life, not from where we happen to live.

          > Also, to truely form a Brotherhood, must we not lend an ear to
          > her turmoil? How can we understand the nature of others, if we do
          > not hear her joys and sorrows? We should not get pulled in.
          > Shouldn't an aspirant learn of whom one day he hopes to help?

          Our goal is to dispel the cloud of selfishness and to live
          openly, freely expressing the divine life within us. We each learn
          to be a light to others in the world. We're also responsible, as
          in the process of self-discovery, to cultivate those activities in
          life that we do the best. We discover our unique ways to make a
          contribution to the All.

          Understanding other people and working to help them, as friend,
          priest, social worker, musician, cook, shoe maker, etc., we can do
          one kind of work. Not everyone is going to be an ultimate guru to
          people working to awaken them. No path in life is greater than
          another. The value of a path is measured in the sense of
          genuineness, the sense of living true to one's inner nature, one's
          spiritual heart.

          > Finally, When spreading oneself in space so that the bodies
          > become the moving molecules of space, for now, in my
          > comprehension, is this not just a step on Who I am? It is not
          > Truth, yet for now, it is a step in my education and all that I
          > know? Of course one would seek to go beyond this point, yet, for
          > now "This is I."

          There are different modes to consciousness. In a particular mode,
          life appears to work a certain way. In one mode, we have a
          distinct personal self, and learn its boundaries, and tend to its
          needs. In another mode, we've lost ourselves in the thing that we
          do, and have forgotten ourselves. In the highest mode, we've lost
          all notion of the particular situation, and operate with a feeling
          of universality and timelessness. All the modes are true and real
          and happening at the same time. We pick which one we will
          experience at any moment. In the West, we're stuck mostly in the
          first mode, and so need training in the other two. That's why they
          are stressed as "higher". But no mode is really higher that the
          others, and we should ideally be free to shift from one to another
          mode at will.

          -- Eldon Tucker
        • AnandaYoga@aol.com
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
            --- In theos-talk@y..., "Peter Merriott" <nous@b...> wrote:
            > Ananda,
            >
            > Could you let us know what these verses state? In my copy of The
            Voice of
            > the Silence the verses are not numbered.
            14 states: If thy soul smiles while bathing in the Sunlight of thy
            Life; if thy soul sings within her chrysalis of flesh and matter;if
            thy soul weeps inside her castle of illusion; if thy soul struggles
            to break the silver thread that binds her to the MASTER; know, O
            Disciple, thy soul is of the earth.
            15 states: When to the World's turmoil thy budding soul lends ear;
            when to the roaring voice of the great illusion thy soul responds;
            when frightened at the sight of the hot tears of pain, when deafened
            by the cries of distress, thy soul withdraws like the shy turtle
            within the carapace of SELFHOOD, learn O Disciple, of her
            Silent "God" thy Soul is an unworthy shrine.
            16 states: When waxing stronger, thy Soul glides forth from her
            secure retreat: and breaking loose from the protecting shrine,
            extends her silver thread and rushes onward; when beholding her image
            on the waves of Space she whispers, "This is I," -- declare, O
            Disciple, that they sould is caught in the webs of delusion.

            > As for "lending an ear"... Have a look a page 33 in the original
            version.

            > "To live to benefit mankind is the first step. To practice the six
            glorious
            > virtues is the second."
            >
            > or page 12:
            >
            > "Let thy Soul lend its ear to every cry of pain like as the lotus
            bares its
            > heart to drink the morning sun. Let not the fierce Sun dry one
            tear of
            > pain before thyself hast wiped it from the sufferer's eye. But let
            each
            > burning human tear drop on thy heart and there remain, nor ever
            brush it
            > off, until the pain that caused it is removed."
            >
            > You ask, should we be joyful that we have this physical life to
            learn about
            > the truth? I think the answer is "Yes" providing we see it as a
            stage to
            > pass through, and "no" if we believe any lasting happiness can be
            found
            > therein. Is this not the "First Hall" mentioned in the VOICE (page
            6)?

            > ... "in which thou sawest the light, in which thou livest and shalt
            die"?

            > "If thou would'st cross this first Hall safely, let not thy mind
            mistake the
            > fires of lust that burn therein for the Sunlight of live."
            >
            > Could you say a little more about what you mean by "spreading
            oneself in
            > space" and where that relates to the VOICE?
            > This was the verse 16 that I mentioned above. I had read about
            exercising ones consciousness and making oneself small and large and
            then to expand oneself until spread like cosmic dust and this is part
            of what we are and so the verse of 16 confused me. Everything is
            part of what we are, isn't it? It is just not all of what we are.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Nick Weeks
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 9, 2001
              From: <AnandaYoga@...>
              To: <theos-talk@yahoogroups.com>

              > I am currently studying The Voice of Silence and I am puzzled. Please give
              > my your thoughts on verses 14-16.
              > My confusion lies in this, I live in a world of created illusion, yet
              > should I not be joyful that I have this physical life to learn about the
              > portion of truth that my mind can understand.

              Ahimsa or harmlessness is a major theme in Eastern religions. Fragment 1
              of the VOICE emphasises this attitude to other lives. Fragments 2 & 3
              explicitly go beyond doing no harm to being an active helping force.
              No joy needs to be avoided, but since it is illusory, there is no point in
              concerning yourself with whether it goes, stays, is fostered or not fostered.
              These lower nature thrills are not real. However there is a bliss that is our
              real nature.
              As you may know, man is a composite. The 4 souls cited in this verse
              refer to the 4 lower principles of man. The smiling soul = prana; the singing
              soul = physical body; the weeping soul = etheric or astral and the struggling
              soul = kama-manas or desire-mind. All are of the earth, earthy. The "budding
              soul" of the next verse is the higher mind. Since it is still only a
              delicate "bud" and not a fully flowering selfless Adept, this young soul
              ususually will reject altruistic motives for itself. We all are "shy turtles"
              early on. When we finally get some confidence that the world around us is
              illusory and our nature within is divine -- even then Self-centeredness rules.
              Whether a fondness for astral exploration sidetracks us, or we think our
              personality is as vast as space and god-like -- we are still "caught in the
              webs of delusion." HPB's note 7 mentions a technical term used in Buddhism
              for personality-belief. It is the first fetter on the path to enlightenment.

              > Also, to truely form a Brotherhood, must we not lend an ear to her
              > turmoil? How can we understand the nature of others, if we do not hear her
              > joys and sorrows? We should not get pulled in. Shouldn't an aspirant learn
              > of whom one day he hopes to help?

              Before we can understand the nature of others we must look from an
              impersonal vantage point. We must "discern the ONE," "forsake the region of
              the false" and attain "the Harmony within." Only then can we -- the Soul --
              begin to see ourselves and others clearly.

              Fare Thee Well,

              Nicholas
            • Katinka Hesselink
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 10, 2001
                > From: AnandaYoga@...
                > --- In theos-talk@y..., "Peter Merriott" <nous@b...> wrote:
                > > Ananda,
                > >
                > > Could you let us know what these verses state? In my copy of The
                > Voice of
                > > the Silence the verses are not numbered.
                > 14 states: If thy soul smiles while bathing in the Sunlight of thy
                > Life; if thy soul sings within her chrysalis of flesh and matter;if
                > thy soul weeps inside her castle of illusion; if thy soul struggles
                > to break the silver thread that binds her to the MASTER; know, O
                > Disciple, thy soul is of the earth.
                I tend to think that that part of us which is influenced by the
                happinesses and sorrows of this world, is indeed of the earth. It is not
                our best self that smiles when meeting a friend and believes him/her gone
                when they are not physically present. It is not our best self that cries
                over lost love etc. It is our earthly, *lower* self that does all that.
                > 15 states: When to the World's turmoil thy budding soul lends ear;
                > when to the roaring voice of the great illusion thy soul responds;
                > when frightened at the sight of the hot tears of pain, when deafened
                > by the cries of distress, thy soul withdraws like the shy turtle
                > within the carapace of SELFHOOD, learn O Disciple, of her
                > Silent "God" thy Soul is an unworthy shrine.
                The key here seems to me that illusion is the problem. We should not be
                frightened by tears, and withdraw, we should somehow reach out (whether
                physically, mentally or otherwise) - keep our consciousness open to it,
                and not withdraw (literally) into selfhood.
                > 16 states: When waxing stronger, thy Soul glides forth from her
                > secure retreat: and breaking loose from the protecting shrine,
                > extends her silver thread and rushes onward; when beholding her image
                > on the waves of Space she whispers, "This is I," -- declare, O
                > Disciple, that they sould is caught in the webs of delusion.
                Well, this is obviously meant to say that any image we have of ourselves
                is bound to be an illusion as at least part of the truth of our being. The
                infinite and divine in us cannot be contained in an image or pictured.

                Add to that that the Voice also says somewhere something like "let not a
                tear fall on your heart be brushed off untill the pain that caused it is
                removed".

                I don't know whether this helps.

                Katinka

                =====
                -Those who observe, learn, a whole life long.
                -Wie observeert, leert , een heel leven lang.
                =====
                my own homepage:
                http://www.geocities.com/katinka_hesselink/
                =====

                http://phonecard.yahoo.com/
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 10, 2001
                  Friday, August 10, 2001

                  Dear Friend:

                  Perhaps this may prove of help

                  One thing springs to attention immediately: Nature presents us
                  with a vast tissue of active interrelationships that support our
                  life.

                  Nature already contains everything.

                  Nature has provided laws of extreme subtlety to guide control and
                  nurture everything that is alive.

                  We do not necessarily know all of these, (nor are we convinced
                  that these statements are true) but, using our powers of
                  observation and reasoning we can decipher most, if not all of
                  those. Our WILL is limited only by our imagination. Imagination
                  is one of the king-faculties of the human mind. But where does
                  that spring from? What gives it its unique position?

                  We all have a tendency to say : "Why try? It is so complex that
                  a life-time would be needed in each department of scientific
                  investigation to secure any real knowledge or do adequate
                  testing. So, as a "short-cut" let me assume that the reports of
                  academics and professors in those various departments are honest,
                  complete and valuable. Let me accept them on faith. And again
                  we adopt the statements of "authority" without adequate personal
                  investigation." In other words we now make of Science a
                  "religion" and scientific pronouncements are deemed to be a
                  "credo."

                  Theosophy commences by offering for our consideration some
                  fundamental concepts -- it traces their presence to all great
                  religions of the present and past, to myth, legend and modern
                  psychological investigation of the nature of human mind, human
                  feeling and emotion, human fears and aspirations.

                  It is interesting to see how much these great foundation tenets
                  of Theosophy are to be found giving an understanding of
                  Immortality of the Spiritual Soul, of Reincarnation, of Karma and
                  of co-evolution are involved IN PRACTICE in all daily affairs.

                  The basic fundamental ideas and patterns are universal. They are
                  ethico-moral applications made individually under free-choice,
                  voluntarily, by individual who select, identify and idealize
                  them -- they set out to test them by daily practice and
                  experiment.

                  If we truly grasp the idea that the entire Universe is composed
                  of basically the
                  imperishable MONADS and they are engaged in an ever more elevated
                  pathway of experience, then our responsibility to assist becomes
                  one of great depth and importance to all. It becomes a question
                  of what information ought to be released at what point in a
                  cycle. And that is not easy to decide.

                  The first point that is made in Theosophy and emphasized by
                  innumerable examples in The SECRET DOCTRINE, is that metaphysics
                  underlie and support the physics of our "form" existence in this
                  world of "forms."

                  SPACE is everywhere and has no limits. LAW is all pervasive, is
                  established in NATURE (SPACE) to provide minute as well as
                  complete support for the evolution of INTELLIGENCE in all Monads
                  (FORMS- MATTER). EVOLUTION is a complete and interactive process
                  whereby over almost infinite TIME each Monad ( ATMA-BUDDHI or
                  SPIRIT-MATTER ) acquires, as a final achievement made possible by
                  its own self-effort, of "SUBLIME PERFECTION." "The "part"
                  acquires a knowledge of the "WHOLE," and limits itself to
                  voluntary service of and work within that WHOLE."

                  This is metaphysical, intellectual, a mental ideal. But this is
                  also a basis for ethical and moral conduct.

                  Applied to The VOICE OF THE SILENCE we find it the basis for
                  the consideration of virtue.

                  The LAWS of any country are based on certain uniform principles
                  of equity as ought to ideally regulate all interaction between
                  people everywhere. We note that the written, or accepted,
                  formulation of those adopted LAWS are under constant amendment
                  and refinement. But even when not written they are deemed to be
                  superior to the pedestrian statutes and decisions made by legal
                  actions.

                  THEOSOPHY exposes for our consideration the fact that NATURE (the
                  Universe) is pervaded by many laws. And, that LAWS, such as
                  cooperation and interaction underlie the reality and existence of
                  the physical forms and situations that are under continual
                  revision through the application of universal friction. Change
                  is ubiquitous and prevails everywhere. But for forms to change
                  there has to be some underlying CAUSE which serves to establish
                  the parameters of ex-istence. The outer appearance is supported,
                  limited and employed by the inner Intelligence. Intelligence is
                  CAUSAL.

                  It therefore posits the eternal, and immortal MONAD (an
                  infinitesimal and undefinable speck of intelligent
                  "Spirit-Matter.") It follows the progress of this entity. It
                  declares that although forms may change, die and be reformed, the
                  innate SPIRITUAL ENTITY never dies, but is in effect an "eternal
                  pupil (or an "Eternal Pilgrim"). [ Monad = SPIRIT-MATTER
                  intertwined ] The Laws we apply to human relationships are
                  automatically deemed to apply universally and by analogy to all
                  beings, and, with the life-atoms at one end and the unresolvable
                  limits in theory of an infinite UNIVERSE of GALAXIES, there is a
                  vast range for experience over many transformations,
                  reincarnations, and reformations. All are essential to each
                  other and all deserve recognition and respect. The inner
                  Intelligence is causal and immortal. The forms are mortal and
                  constantly changing.

                  LIFE is therefore considered universal, and entitative in it
                  components. But it is noticed that between periods of activity
                  there are periods of rest, inactivity and "sleep." Hence the
                  LAWS, while universal, operate in one way in dormancy, and in
                  another in the period of evolutionary activity. But the LAWS do
                  not disappear, nor do the "life-atoms" and the all-pervasive
                  relationships that are inter-established between them. We are in
                  effect examining ourselves and the purpose of our living, of our
                  being "Here." Life is Energy. Hence the metaphysical world
                  considers the energies, forces and powers that underlie the
                  physical appearance of things. These Laws of inter-relationship
                  have been named KARMA. A work in Sanskrit that means "action
                  (and re-action)." It is Universal in scope and so delicately
                  attuned that it considers and attends to the needs of the
                  smallest sub-atomic particle or energy.

                  If one takes the widest view, then Manifestation (or Evolution)
                  is not "Creation out of Nothing," but a "re-formation" out of
                  pre-existing materials, laws and Intelligences of the next period
                  of learning. There is a continuous link of life and of cause, as
                  well as meaning, in this that unites all disparities and the
                  problems of quality, character and relationship. Each day, each
                  life-period, may be considered to be a experience en the vast
                  SCHOOL OF LIFE. We are the "Eternal Pupils."

                  This single concept serves to bridge the gap of many scientific
                  observations as it relates disparity to an intelligent CAUSE.
                  Taking all causes into account and one has the Karma of an atom,
                  a cell, a person, their family, a nation, a World, a Solar
                  system or all the galaxies of the Universe. It is the key to
                  living and is called simply BROTHERHOOD.

                  Daily life ? And "Theosophists" are no different from other
                  people. They have (or ought to have) a deeper sense of
                  responsibility, and of purpose, if they consider themselves
                  immortals, and able to rationalize the virtues that mark the
                  progress of the immortal Being internal to each of them.

                  All "personal conflicts" are thus seen by the practical
                  Theosophist to be a matter of self-discipline -- a matter of
                  disciplining their fractious personalities.

                  But why is this so? Theosophy shows us that the "Personality"
                  (the "mask" we wear this life-time) is essentially a matter of
                  "feeling." Feeling relates directly to our Kamic (desire)
                  nature.

                  What is Kama? In a way it is the "karma" of our past choices.
                  It is: our capacities, character, and qualities taken as a
                  whole, it is our passions, desires and inclinations. It is NOT
                  the Mind.

                  Theosophy holds that in the Monad the Mind capacity is mid-way
                  between SPIRIT (Wisdom) and MATTER (Kamic desires and passions).
                  Mind is dispassionate but can be used by either of the eternal
                  opponents represented by WISDOM and FOLLY.

                  It should be noted that "virtues" can always be rationalized.
                  "Vices" cannot, and they are then hypocritically hidden under the
                  surface of apparent virtue.

                  "Vice" cannot be planned, used, or conceived of, unless there is
                  a corresponding "virtue."

                  Theosophy views all problems in this light as the eternal
                  conflict between SPIRIT (wisdom and experience) and it polar
                  opposite MATTER (selfish, isolationist, confusion and ignorance).

                  Spirit is considered to be CONSCIOUSNESS and eternally dynamic
                  and progressive it seeks cooperation, generous assistance,
                  continuous service and attention top the support and needs of
                  other beings. It sees no reason to "defend" itself as it known
                  it is eternal.

                  Matter is considered to INERTIA and the power of retardation and
                  the retrogressive seeking to retain a "form" that is already
                  passing away in time. It is always selfish, isolationist, and
                  defensive because it knows itself to be only a passing phase -- a
                  temporary manifestation of an evolving immortal INTELLIGENCE.
                  This brings on the confusion that exists in having two "Selves"
                  (two Egos) in every human : "the Self of SPIRIT and the self of
                  Matter."

                  Best wishes:

                  Dallas

                  ============================

> [...]

                  > now "This is I."

                  There are different modes to consciousness. In a particular mode,
                  life appears to work a certain way. In one mode, we have a
                  distinct personal self, and learn its boundaries, and tend to its
                  needs. In another mode, we've lost ourselves in the thing that we
                  do, and have forgotten ourselves. In the highest mode, we've lost
                  all notion of the particular situation, and operate with a
                  feeling
                  of universality and timelessness. All the modes are true and real
                  and happening at the same time. We pick which one we will
                  experience at any moment. In the West, we're stuck mostly in the
                  first mode, and so need training in the other two. That's why
                  they
                  are stressed as "higher". But no mode is really higher that the
                  others, and we should ideally be free to shift from one to

                  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
                • teos9@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 11, 2001
                    In a message dated 8/9/2001 9:56:43 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
                    AnandaYoga@... writes:

                    > I am currently studying The Voice of Silence and I am puzzled. Please give
                    > my your thoughts on verses 14-16.
                    > My confusion lies in this, I live in a world of created illusion,
                    yet

                    > should I not be joyful that I have this physical life to learn about the
                    > portion of truth that my mind can understand.
                    > Also, to truely form a Brotherhood, must we not lend an ear to her
                    > turmoil? How can we understand the nature of others, if we do not hear
                    her
                    > joys and sorrows? We should not get pulled in. Shouldn't an aspirant
                    learn

                    > of whom one day he hopes to help?
                    > Finally, When spreading oneself in space so that the bodies become
                    > the
                    > moving molecules of space, for now, in my comprehension, is this not just
                    > step on Who I am? It is not Truth, yet for now, it is a step in my
                    > education
                    > and all that I know? Of course one would seek to go beyond this point,
                    yet,

                    > for now "This is I."
                    > Please help clarify my thinking, as I have meditated and slept and
                    am

                    > trying with great difficulty to put it in perspective.
                    > Thank you to you for your time and help.
                    > ananda

                    Ananda,

                    The very title, "Voice of the Silence" asks us to understand or intuit
                    another condition of our being. One which is non verbal, non rational, non
                    audible and yet....speaks. We are born with the knowledge of this subtle,
                    silent language but from the very moment of that birth, we spend most of our
                    physical life, unlearning its sound, and ignoring it's guidance.

                    We try to recapture the voice, thru LIVING the virtues, or, the noble
                    eightfold path, or, the ten commandments, indeed, by studying the V.O.S. By
                    paying steady unwavering attention to the SPIRITUAL LAWS, one starts to
                    become free of the din of illusion.

                    The Voice, to me, is all about coming to KNOW this other condition of being.

                    Louis
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 13, 2001
                      Monday, August 13, 2001

                      Dear Friend:

                      Perhaps the following may be of some help

                      In The VOICE OF THE SILENCE. H. P. Blavatsky, commences:

                      "These instructions are for those ignorant of the dangers of the
                      lower Iddhi.

                      He who would hear the voice of Nada and comprehend it, he has to
                      learn the nature of Dharana."

                      Seeking to understand, the student discovers the "lower Iddhi" to
                      be the invisible powers of Nature and of Man. They are two
                      categories. 1. the lower, coarse, psychic and mental energies.
                      In contrast to those are 2. the spiritual, noble, virtuous and
                      universal powers embodied in the Higher Ego (Atma-Buddhi-Manas).

                      The "voice of Nada" `is commented on by Mr. Judge in his article
                      AUM (PATH 1, p. 1; W Q J Articles, Vol. I, p. 561) There he
                      speaks of Nada Brahma (the divine resonance) -- it is the first
                      SOUND, a single homogeneous resonance, that, pervading the whole
                      universe, acts as the awakener, or vivifying power stirring all
                      the molecules into action.

                      It is represented in all languages by the vowel "A" which takes
                      precedence over all others. This is the "word," the "Verbum, the
                      "Logos."

                      This is creation, for without this resonance or motion among the
                      quiescent particles, there would be no visible universe.

                      We may compare this ancient concept with the findings of modern
                      astro-physicists, who examining the complete electro-magnetic
                      spectrum of the Universe, discovered a universally present, and
                      apparently unmodulated "hiss." This "hiss" has a definite
                      frequency, and seeking for its source, they concluded that in
                      theory and persistence it most probably represented the
                      continuing echo of the "Big Bang" whereby the Universe came into
                      objective activity.

                      On p. 233 of the KEY TO THEOSOPHY, H.P.B. gives the 4 Golden
                      Links of Theosophical doctrine: UNIVERSAL UNITY AND CAUSATION is
                      the 1st "link." Following this are Karma, Reincarnation and
                      Human Solidarity.

                      UNIVERSAL BROTHERHOOD is a phrase that includes all these and
                      gives a reason for present existence and the organization of
                      Nature in her most secret ways. How can it be else among
                      immortals?

                      As I see it, there is in Theosophical metaphysics, no physical
                      BIG BANG as theorized by speculative science, only a simultaneous
                      reawakening from a period of universal rest (Pralaya) of THAT
                      WHICH WAS, to a new "Day" of study and evolutionary work. A
                      fresh Manvantara of experience under Karma (individual and
                      collective) begins. The SOUND of Universal Life indicates the
                      revolution of the living vortices (the Monads) has objectively
                      recommenced.

                      In other words all that IS, was in EXISTENCE in the past. It was
                      alive and thriving -- in an earlier Manvantara.

                      This represents the SPIRITUAL aspect of the ever-living Monad
                      (ATMA-BUDDHI-MANAS).

                      All "forms" in that "past Manvantara" came simultaneously into
                      the vast sleep of Pralaya and have rested there, while a
                      different type of activity prevailed. When the cycle for a new
                      Manvantara struck, the simultaneous awakening of ALL occurred.
                      The Manifested Universe objectivized. The Great Creators and
                      Builders were at their place. [ S D I 570-575] the
                      re-organization of forms and intelligences to use them, began --
                      the process is described in S D Vol. I in great detail.

                      Evidence of this condition of Pralaya where in some aspects of
                      CONSCIOUSNESS remained awake is to be found in The SECRET
                      DOCTRINE where in Vol. I on p. 27, where we read:

                      "8. Alone the one form of existence stretched motionless,
                      infinite, causeless, in dreamless sleep; and life pulsated
                      unconscious in universal space, throughout that ALL-PRESENCE
                      which is sensed by the OPENED EYE of the DANGMA."

                      The "opened eye" refers to that aspect of SPIRIT named
                      MAHABUDDHI -- WISDOM and it is in the possession of the WISE who
                      do not sleep during the time of Pralaya.

                      "pulsated" S D II 167 top, 43, 588, I p. 46, 2, 14-15, 45 fn;

                      "dreamless sleep" S D I 348, 375;

                      "eye of the Dangma" S D II 310, 363; I 46, 218; THEOSOPHICAL
                      GLOSSARY p. 201; H P B Articles Vol. III p. 35 (UNITED LODGE OF
                      THEOSOPHISTS Edn.) H P B LETTERS TO A. P. SINNETT, p. 376.]

                      Best wishes,

                      Dallas

                      .