W Q J -- BIO-NOTES by DTB

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 17, 2001
      Monday, July 16, 2001

      Dear Friend::

      I send you herewith some Bio-notes about Mr. W. Q.. Judge. They
      have been gathered from various sources and as far as possible I
      have indicated those sources.

      This is not a complete biography, although I have with me very
      full details, if needed.

      Best wishes,

      Dallas

      ========================= COPY ==========================

      Bio-Chronology -- Draft -- by DTB

      W I L L I A M Q U A N J U D G E

      1851 - 1896

      45 years of devoted service
      ________________

      From the beginning of the modern Theosophical Movement in New
      York (1875), three individuals show the power to assist one
      another, to inspire others and to offer a practical view of the
      philosophical unity of all cultures and religious moral
      philosophies that are in existence, as well as those of antiquity
      of which some record has been kept.

      While all men are immortals in their innermost essence, few
      realize this in any one life. The Great Men of the past are
      among those who have full realization of the immortality of the
      human Spirit. They are the successes, the Immortals of the Human
      Race. They teach that every human has this potentiality, and
      need only undertake the study and effort necessary to achieve
      that condition. The bodies they used may have "died" but they
      continue in their work unseen, unnoticed, using other names or no
      names, as they may work on the unseen planes of living.

      Mme. H.P.Blavatsky was the "Messenger" of what might be called
      the "College" of the Adepts, the "Elder Brothers," the Teachers
      of Mankind. It forms "The Universal and Eternal Lodge" of Wise
      Men:-- Scientists- Philosophers- Sages- Prophets- Great Souls-
      Mahatmas. [ see ISIS UNVEILED, Vol. II. pp. 98-103 ] They are
      unlimited as to country, race, nation, culture or date. To Them
      politics and nationality have no meaning, as They are truly
      immortals.

      They stand as the Guardians and Preservers of the Wisdom
      garnered through the past experience of all mankind in all
      departments of Nature. They are a Brotherhood of universal
      Historians, who in one sense, have the responsibility of watching
      protectively over the progress of mankind, as a "Father," or an
      "Elder Brother" might. [ S D I pp 272-3 ]

      They have constantly urged mankind to form a practical,
      "Universal Brotherhood." The one secret of their success has
      been to rigorously obey the Law of Nature -- KARMA --
      (translated into human terms: the voluntary practice of
      impartial and rigorous ethics and morality), to obtain Knowledge,
      and then to freely pass it on to others in a way that meets "the
      need to know." Taken all together, their practice is Wisdom.
      HPB worked strenuously to broadcast their philosophy and
      doctrines of Theosophy until her "death" in 1891. Her life
      reveals enormous self-sacrifice.

      Col. H.S. Olcott, first associated with H.P.B., was elected the
      President-for-Life of the Theosophical Society. This was
      organized as a base from which to encourage the practice of
      Brotherhood. [BLAVATSKY: Collected Works (TPH) Vol. I, pp 120
      ...] Its objects included also, the investigation of History as
      well as modern cultures all over the world, in search of the
      wisdom that was common to the Ancients; and, to investigate the
      evidence of the hidden Laws of Nature which underlie the
      anomalies of what is loosely called "psychic" or "spiritual"
      phenomena. He was the organizer, and his main work apart from
      the Theosophical Society, was to serve in unifying the various
      Schools of Buddhism: Mahayana, Hinayana, Theravada, Tibetan,
      Chinese, Japanese, Singalese, Siamese and Burmese. Col. Olcott
      worked for the Society until his death in February 1907.

      William Q. Judge, was a young lawyer in New York. His life work
      is given in brief here below. After HPB and HSO left in 1878 for
      India to revive Hinduism and Buddhism, he remained, alone of the
      original founders, in America to carry on the mission of the T S.
      After a visit to India in 1884 one finds a surge of energy and
      activity to emanate from and revolve around him. By 1896, twelve
      years later, when his frail, ill body died, he had inspired
      thousands mainly in America, to take an interest in the subjects
      Theosophy dealt with. The largest active membership accumulated
      around his work. Mr. Judge worked until he died March 21st 1896.
      He was 45.

      ============================

      William Quan JUDGE

      1851, April 13 Birth

      William Quan Judge was born in Dublin, Ireland.

      F A M I L Y

      Father: Frederick H. Judge.
      Mother: Alice Mary Quan. They had 7 children.
      Alice died in childbirth with the 7th.
      Siblings: 6 brothers & sisters.

      In Dublin, Ireland, on April 13th, 1851 Mrs. Alice Mary Quan,
      wife of Frederick H. Judge, gave birth to a son. William Quan
      Judge, was brought up in Dublin until his thirteenth year, when
      his father decided to emigrate to the United States. ( see Eek &
      de Zircov: W.Q.J.; CWB I p. 472...) ( see J. Niemand, THE
      IRISH THEOSOPHIST, Feb./May 1896)

      1858 Almost Died at Age 7

      William suffered a severe illness at the age of seven. He was
      moribund and feared dead, but amid the natural outburst of grief
      it was suddenly found that the supposed dead child breathed
      again, and that all was "well with the child."

      Much later, Mr. Judge prepared some notes for an "occult novel"
      he suggested his friend Jasper Niemand write. It was to be
      entitled:

      IN A BORROWED BODY

      Judge had this to say about the event: (in summary, Eds.)

      "I must tell you first what happened to me in this present
      life...I was a simple student of our high Philosophy for many
      lives on earth, in various countries, and then at last developed
      in myself a desire for action. So I died once more, as so often
      before, and was again reborn in the family of a Rajah, and in
      time came to sit on his throne after his death."

      "Two years after that sad event, one day an old wandering
      Brahmin came to me and asked if I was ready to follow my vows of
      long lives before, and go to do some work for my old master in a
      foreign land. Thinking this meant a journey, only, I said I
      was."

      "While asleep that night in his Indian palace, watched over by
      his faithful body-guard, Gopal, he dreamt he was transported in
      consciousness in his astral body to the bedside of a dying
      European child. The old Brahmin, also present, explained that it
      was needed for him to use and revive that body when the time came
      for its animating Soul to leave it. Again he agreed, and
      accordingly, as he watches the dying child he sees the child's
      skandhas collecting around the child's Ego as it prepares to
      leave the body. It goes, the spark of life burns low. He enters
      following the way in which the mind had left and revivifies the
      body. The old Brahmin helping his Ego, the Soul-consciousness to
      enter and animate the dying child-body at the right time, and
      pouring on it waves of warmth and life-giving magnetism. The
      unexpected reanimation gives great joy to the family. Thereafter
      for some years he spent a dual life: during the day, a Rajah
      administering to his people in India and "listening to the words
      of sages;" at night an ignorant growing child in "foreign"
      Ireland in the Judge family where he was named William and where
      they noticed a definite change in the interests and capacities of
      the child."

      "Through lapse of years and effort unremittingly continued, I
      learned how to live two lives at once...I, as Rajah, would
      always, when I awoke on my mat, have a clear remembrance of what
      at first seemed only dreams of being a sleeping king, with my
      faithful servant watching my sleeping form, and I -- would be
      masquerading in a borrowed body, unruly as the wind. Thus, as a
      boy, I might be happy, but as a king, miserable, maybe. And
      then, after I should become accustomed to this double life,
      perhaps my foreign mind and habits would so dominate the body of
      the boy, that existence there would grow so full of pain from the
      struggle with an environment wholly at war with the thinker
      within." Years passed and when the child had grown the family
      moved to New York in America."
      LETTERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME, WQJ pp. 257-60 (ULT)

      Mr. Judge in preparing notes for an "Occult Novel" on
      reincarnation outlined a number of factors that operated. He
      wrote:

      "The point on which it should turn is not so much reincarnation
      as the use of a borrowed body, which is a different kind of
      reincarnation from that of Arnold's Phra the Phoenician.

      This will give a chance to show the other two sorts of
      reincarnation, e.g.:--

      (a) Ordinary reincarnation in which there is no memory of the
      old personality, as the astral body is new; and.

      (b) Exception as to astral body; but similarity of conception
      to that of ordinary cases, where the child retains the old astral
      body and hence memory of OLD personality and acquaintance with
      old knowledge and dexterity.

      The Assembling of the Skandhas

      On the death of the body, the Kama principle collects the
      Skandhas in space, or at the rebirth of the Ego, the Skandhas
      rush together and assemble about it to go with it in the new
      life." [see HPB ARTICLES, vol. II pp. 339, on "Psychic
      Embryos" ]

      THE UNVEILING OF THE SUN

      There is the real and the unreal Sun. The real one is hidden by
      a golden vase, and the devotee prays:

      "Unveil, O Pushan, the true Sun's face," etc. A voice (or
      other) says "thou are that vase" and then he knows that he alone
      hides the true Sun from himself. [ see WQJ Articles I 583 ]

      Pushan is the guide and watches on the path to the Sun.

      The eulogy of the Sun and the Soul are enshrined in a golden
      rose or lotus in the heart which is impregnable.

      The theme of the book is not always teacher and pupil.

      He first strives for some lives ordinarily and then in one he
      grows old and wise, and sitting before a temple one day in Madura
      he dies slowly, and like a dissolving view he sees the adepts
      around him aiding him; also a small child which seems to be
      himself, and then thick darkness. He is born then in th usual
      way.

      Twice this is repeated, each time going through the womb but
      with the same astral body.

      Then he lives the third life to forty-nine, and comes again to
      die and with the same aid he selects a foreign child who is
      dying."

      [ Compare Judge's statement in a letter to Olcott, March 4,
      1880: "I have lived at one time in India 19 years, and twice
      before about 2 or 3 years each time, so, you see, I am not so
      much younger than you, as I thought." Theosophist, March 1931
      [ Olcott was born in 1832, W.Q.J. in 1851 -- Eds.]

      "Child dying. Skandhas collecting, child's Ego going--left,
      spark of life low: relatives about bed.

      He enters by the way the mind went out and revivifies the body.
      Recovery, youth, etc....This is his borrowed body."

      His life in other ages; the towers; the battle; the death;
      the search for knowledge and the sentiment expressed in the
      flowers."

      [These stories written by Mr. Judge will be found in Letters
      That Have helped Me,
      WQJ , pp. 206 - 248.]

      In another place, Mr. Judge reminisces:

      "When I was a boy," said Mr. Judge (in a talk that he gave April
      25th 1892, on "Cyclic Impressions and Return and our
      Evolution"), "I used to go to my uncle's place where there was an
      old mass of stone ruins at the end of the garden, and by some
      peculiar combination of circumstances the swallows of the whole
      neighboring counties collected there..."

      "When the period arrived, you could see them coming in all parts
      of the sky, and they would settle down and twitter on this pile
      of stone all day, and fly about. When the evening
      came--twilight--they raised in a body and formed an enormous
      circle. It must have been over forty feet in diameter, and that
      circle of swallows flew around in the sky, around this tower,
      around and around for an hour or two, making a loud twittering
      noise, and that attracted from other places swallows who had
      probably forgotten the occasion. They kept this up for several
      days, until one day the period arrived when they must go, and
      they went away--some were left behind, some came a little early,
      and some came too late. Other birds migrate in other ways...."
      WQJ Articles (ULT) Vol. I, p. 166

      "Eusebio Rodriguez de Undiano [ Compare this with Mr. Judge's
      pen-names: "Eusebio Urban," and "Rodriguez Undiano.: --Eds.] was
      a notary in Spain who found among the effects of his father many
      old parchments written in a language that was unknown to him. He
      discovered it was Arabic, and in order to decipher them learned
      that tongue. They contained the story.
      Note.-- No initiates; Lytton only.
      Eusebio de Undiano is only one of the old comrades reborn in
      Spain who searches like Nicodemus for the light.
      Note.-- Yes.
      Eusebio de Urban finds in his father's parchments confirmation
      of what the possession of the body has often told him.
      Note.-- Yes.
      This person in the body never gave his name to anyone and has no
      name."

      "An autobiographical story? No? Yes ! Related by one who was
      struck; by an admirer who suspected something ? No; because
      that is hearsay evidence; the proof is incomplete, whereas he
      relating it himself is either true, or a mere insane fancy. It
      is better to be insane than another's tool.

      A close associate, Mr. C. A. Griscom, writing after Judge's
      death (1896) noted :

      " It was the good fortune of a few of us to know something of
      the real Ego who used the body known as Wm. Q. Judge. He once
      spent some hours describing to my wife and me the experience the
      Ego had in assuming control of the instrument it was to use for
      so many years. The process was not quick nor an easy one and
      indeed was never absolutely perfected, for to Mr. Judge's dying
      day, the physical tendencies and heredity of the body he used
      would crop up and interfere with the full expression of the inner
      man's thoughts and feelings.

      An occasional abruptness and coldness of manner was
      attributable to this lack of co-ordination. Of course Mr. Judge
      was perfectly aware of this and it would trouble him for fear his
      real friends would be deceived as to his real feeling. He was
      always in absolute control of his thoughts and actions, but his
      body would sometimes slightly modify their expression...

      Mr. Judge told me in December 1894, that the Judge body was due
      by its karma to die the next year and that it would have to be
      tided over this period by extraordinary means. He then expected
      this process to be entirely successful, and that he would be able
      to use that body for many years, but he did not count upon the
      assaults from without, and the strain and exhaustion. This, and
      the body's heredity, proved too much for even his will and power.
      Two months before his death he knew he was to die, but even then
      the indomitable will was hard to conquer and the poor, exhausted,
      pain-racked body was dragged through two months in one final and
      supreme effort to stay with his friends."
      Letters WQJ , Vol. II, p. 118-20; Theosophical Publishing Co. of
      New York, 1911.
      Reprinted in LETTERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME THAT HAVE HELPED ME,
      (1946) THEOSOPHY COMPANY , Los Angeles .

      Cyrus Field Willard, was an F.T.S. since 1884 when he first
      wrote to H. P. B. in India. He knew both HPB and WQJ. After
      many years of silence, in 1932 he wrote the Editor of the
      Canadian Theosophist, then, Mr. A. E. S. Smythe, the following
      letter (given here below in part). It will be found printed in
      extenso in THE CANADIAN THEOSOPHIST, Vol. 13, # 3, for May 15th
      1932:

      Editor, CANADIAN THEOSOPHIST. -

      It has been a pleasure to read your magazine and see the manner
      in which you have stood up for H.P.B. and W.Q.Judge, whom we both
      knew so well in the olden days.

      On pages 22 and 23, of your last issue of March 15th, is a
      statement about Judge which I can answer, from my own
      observation...I can tell, now, what I know and saw with my own
      eyes, about this "borrowed body" and which was also seen and
      verified by at least ten others persons, who openly so stated at
      a meeting held in the headquarters of the Boston branch, shortly
      after Judge's death in 1896...

      Word was sent to all members of the E.S.T. which I had joined
      under H.P.B. in 1889, to be present at an E.S. meeting in the
      large double parlors of the Parker House.

      When I got in...I walked down to the front row of seats and sat
      less than 10 feet from Judge and Annie, As she has seen fit to
      publish the E.S. instructions, it will not therefore be without
      justification that I relate what occurred in order to give Judge
      his due.

      The rooms soon filled up with about 200 persons, and I noticed
      leaning up against the pedestal behind which Judge stood as
      presiding officer, so all could see and exposed for the first
      time, pictures of the two Masters, blessed be their name, for the
      knowledge they have given us.

      As he started to call the meting to order, he leaned toward her,
      who stood on his right hand, and I heard him say to her in a low
      voice, "Sound the Word with the triple intonation."

      She replied in the same low voice: "I don't dare to," or, "I
      don't care to," but think it was the first. I heard him say in
      a firm tone, "Then I will."

      He had been twirling his gavel in his hand but laid it down,
      stepped to his right, pushing her aside, and stepped to the side
      of the pedestal, facing his audience, with her behind him, and
      said:

      "I am about to sound the Word with the triple intonation, but
      before I do so, I have a statement to make which I do not care to
      have you speak to me about later, nor do I wish you to discuss
      among yourselves.

      I am not what I seem, I am a Hindu."

      Then he sounded the Word with the triple intonation.

      Before my eyes, I saw the man's face turn brown and a
      clean-shaven Hindu face of a young man was there, and you know he
      wore a beard.

      I am no psychic nor have ever pretended to be one or to "see
      things," as I joined the T.S. to form a nucleus of Universal
      Brotherhood.

      This change was not one seen by me only, and we did not discuss
      the import of his significant statement until after his death
      when a meeting was held in Boston headquarters to determine our
      future action.

      Then I mentioned it in a speech and his statement, and fully ten
      persons from different parts of the hall spoke up and said, "I
      saw it too." "I saw and heard what he said," etc. That would
      seem proof enough about the borrowed body.

      I knew Judge intimately, as he was a Mason and so was I. But
      never saw anything like that before or afterwards.

      As I said I knew him so well that when he came to Boston I would
      go with him to his hotel and talk with him in his room,
      questioning him when we would have some practical work for the
      Universal Brotherhood.

      Usually he would branch off on some other subject, like
      elementals or other subjects of an occult nature in which I was
      not interested then, but which proved to be of great help in
      later years...

      Judge is dead...The statement about Judge being in a borrowed
      body as being "something about which we really do not know," [is]
      evidence that this unnamed writer was not present at this Boston
      meeting, otherwise he would have felt that he did know, as I do.

      I know what I saw, and I was at that time a trained and
      experienced newspaper man, and my statements were verified by ten
      other persons, which is more than the necessary number of
      witnesses to lift it above the domain of peradventure...

      But why did he say he was a Hindu, when the Judge body was born
      in Ireland ?

      I believe from what I saw that Judge was a Hindu, the Rajah, and
      never was moved by the charges against him.

      That is, the indwelling Ego in the Judge body was a Hindu, and
      that I saw him once. There may be others still living who saw
      him also.

      ...Being occupied in other lines I have not broken silence
      heretofore. But Judge was my friend and terribly traduced.

      It has also been painful to see members of a Society calling
      itself theosophical, whose members spend their time talking about
      astrology, auras, fairies and other nonsensical stuff, when they
      should be teaching reincarnation and Karma as the basis for
      Universal Brotherhood which H.P.B. said the Society was organized
      to teach and form.

      She said definitely that it was not to be a "miracle-shop."...It
      is only a matter of good common sense for all branches and
      Theosophical Societies to come together in a Federation, stop
      their backbiting and let the other Theosophists alone, while
      devoting their time to preaching Universal Brotherhood based on
      Reincarnation and Karma.

      ...I have only come out of my long silence in order to do
      justice to Wm. Q. Judge, who was one of the sweetest, dearest
      companions and friends any man could have.

      ...Judge, although a Hindu racially, occupying a Western body,
      has insisted always in his "Letters That Have Helped Me" that we
      must develop our Western occultism, which is the same and yet
      different from Eastern occultism...one does not have to run after
      occult teachers.

      If he will but practice Brotherly Love, Relief and Truth, he
      will find in time, occult knowledge welling up in him.

      There is no need to go anywhere, to India or anywhere else.
      When you have grown through altruism, so your head sticks up over
      the fence, the Masters will see you.

      Don't look for them, let them look for you and if you do your
      duty in the place that Karma has set you, with the hidden manna
      of our Theosophical knowledge, you will grow in knowledge and in
      serenity.

      Cordially yours,

      Sd./: Cyrus Field Willard

      CANADIAN THST, VOL. 13, # 3, MAY 15 1932.

      -

      1858-1859 A Sudden Change in Interests and Character

      Jasper Niemand, one of Judge's closest friends, records that
      during his convalescence: "the boy evinced aptitudes and
      knowledge which he had never before displayed, exciting wonder as
      to when or how he had learned these things, these rudiments of
      art and of literature. He seemed the same, yet other...and from
      his recovery in his eighth year (1859) he was now found
      interested in religion, magic, Rosicrucianism, and deeply
      absorbed in the Book of Revelation of the Christian Bible, trying
      to settle its meaning. He also devoured the contents of all the
      books he could lay hold of relating to mesmerism,
      character-reading, phrenology and so on, while no one knew when
      he had so much as acquired the art of reading at all." Irish
      Theosophist, February 1896.

      Many years later in corresponding with Mme. Blavatsky, Mr. Judge
      received from her a corroboration of his curious condition. She
      wrote as follows:--

      "Ostende, March 1987
      My Dear W.Q.J.:

      My poor, poor friend, what a damned fool you are with all your
      intelligence, Irish-Hindu acuteness of perception etc. It is all
      the worm--that gnaws at your discriminative powers. It is the
      incubus of the family hearth that sits so heavily on your brain
      that it can hardly function in the right direction after every
      Methodist squabble. Oh my poor crushed chum what would I give to
      help you. But however I fight against your Irish Self which sits
      upon & tries to throttle the Hindu Self -- the "mild" Hindu.

      I try to be with you as much as I can. I am often watching you.
      Watch the shadows on the walls around you & gather strength from
      one who is oftener with you than you know of...." ... H.P.B."

      1864 To The U.S.A.

      "When he was 13 years old the whole family emigrated to the
      United States of America, crossing on "City of Limerick" (Inman
      Line) and landing at New York, on July 14th 1864.

      "Perhaps the magnetic link of reanimation by another, so
      abruptly renewed in his illness was never fully vitalized in the
      physical sense, for the lad never acquired a strong physique.
      Without being sickly he was frail, but indomitable and
      persevering beyond his years. An anecdote of his boyhood
      illustrates these traits." [J. Niemand.]

      INDOMITABLE & PERSEVERING

      "He was with other boys upon the bank of a stream. His
      companions swam to an island a little way off from the bank, from
      which vantage ground they jeered and mocked their younger
      comrade, who could not swim. The small William's heart rose hot
      within him; he plunged into the water, resolved to get to that
      island or perish. When out of his depth he let himself sink,
      touched bottom, ran a few steps on the river's bed, rose, of
      course, kicked, and sank, took a step and another, repeating the
      process, and thus struggling, rising, sinking, scrambling, and,
      above all, holding his breath, he actually reached the margin of
      the island, to be drawn out, half unconscious, by his astonished
      play-fellows."

      "Nothing could be more characteristic of the Mr. Judge of
      to-day," adds Jasper Niemand, who chronicled this event, "as he
      is known to his associates, among whom it is a common saying,
      'Judge would walk over red-hot ploughshares from here to India to
      do his duty.'" - J. Niemand

      1868-71 STUDIED LAW IN NEW YORK

      Mr. Judge soon began work at a desk in New York, a clerkship
      having come his way, and his family being one whose members must
      all be self-supporting at a comparative early age, This
      continued until he was induced to enter a law office as the clerk
      of George P. Andrews (later Judge in the Supreme Court of New
      York). There he also studied law, living with his father, who
      died not long after.

      1872 NATURALIZED A US CITIZEN - ADMITTED TO THE BAR

      On coming of age he was naturalized a citizen of the United
      States in April, 1872. In May of that year he was admitted to
      the bar of New York, practicing law in that city steadily for
      many years.

      His conspicuous traits as a lawyer, in the practice of
      commercial law, of which he made a specialty, were his
      thoroughness and his inflexible persistence, which won him the
      respect of employers and clients alike.

      1874 MARRIAGE -- EARLY DEATH OF DAUGHTER

      On Sept 16th 1874 he married a school teacher, Ella M. Smith, of
      Brooklyn (died April 17th, 1931), in which city the couple lived
      until 1893, when they came to live in New York City, to be nearer
      to the field of his work at the office and at the Theosophical
      Society's Headquarters. A daughter was soon born to them who
      tragically, succumbed to diphtheria in infancy. (1876)

      Mrs. Judge, a strict Methodist, did not share his interest in
      Theosophy. But Mr. Judge was not to be diverted from his chosen
      course and he began the study of modern spiritualism in his spare
      moments.

      [NOTE: Mr. Judge described his situation to Damodar in India in
      several letters in the early pages of DAMODAR, by Sven Eek pp.
      30 -70.

      In the 1915 Mrs. Judge became an associate of ULT and attended
      several Judge Day commemorative meetings. [Eek-Bio. p.8] Once
      she said: "You make too much of Willie." On another occasion
      she said: "He never told a lie." (per.: Joe Pope) Mrs. Judge
      died in April 17th 1931.

      I was told by Joe Pope that after the publication of The Ocean
      of Theosophy by the ULT, it was arranged for a regular payment of
      royalties to Mrs. Judge on sales. This was continued until her
      death on April 17th 1931.]

      1874 Meeting Col. H.S.Olcott & H. P. Blavatsky

      1874 brought Mr. Judge into contact with Mme. H. P. Blavatsky.
      She had already met Col. H. S. Olcott at the Eddy farm house in
      Chittenden, Vermont [Oct. 14 1874]. Mr. Judge had read his
      newspaper articles in the Daily Graphic of New York titled:
      People from the Other World. (Published later as a book, under
      the same title, January 1875.)

      Mr. Judge, by then working in the law office of E. Delafield
      Smith, U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, wrote
      Col. Olcott asking for the address of a good medium. Col. Olcott
      replied that he did not then know the address of any medium, but
      that he had a friend, Madame Blavatsky whom Mr. Judge might like
      to meet first. He advised HPB of this request, and she said she
      would like to meet Judge and asked Olcott to make an appointment.

      Of this first meeting with Mme. Blavatsky, Mr. Judge wrote:-

      "In 1874, in the city of New York, I first met H.P.B. in this
      life. By her request, sent through Colonel H. S. Olcott, the
      call was made in her rooms in Irving Place, when then, as
      afterwards, through the remainder of her stormy career, she was
      surrounded by the anxious, the intellectual, the bohemian, the
      rich and the poor.

      It was her eye that attracted me, the eye of one whom I must
      have known in lives long passed away. She looked at me in
      recognition at that first hour, and never since has that look
      changed. Not as a questioner of philosophies did I come before
      her, not as one groping in the dark for lights that schools and
      fanciful theories had obscured, but as one who, wandering many
      periods through the corridors of life, was seeking the friends
      who could show where the designs for the work had been hidden.
      And true to the call she responded, revealing the plans once
      again, and speaking no words to explain, simply pointed them out
      and went on with the task. It was as if but the evening before
      we had parted, leaving yet to be done some detail of a task. It
      was elder brother and younger, both bent on the one single end,
      but she with the power and the knowledge that belong but to lions
      and sages. So, friends from the first, I felt safe."
      Yours Till Death and After -- H.P.B.-- IN MEMORIUM, pp. 65-6.

      [NOTE: In BLOAVATSKY: Collected Works, Vol. I, lvii, it is
      suggested that this meeting took place in August 1875.
      In THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT (1875-1950), p. 38, the date given
      is "January 1874." ]

      1875 THE ONE AND SUPREME GREAT LODGE

      Madame Blavatsky repeatedly stated that she was a member of a
      great and ancient Lodge: the secret and world-wide Fraternity of
      Adept Brothers. Later, in Isis Unveiled, Vol. 2, pp. 98-104,
      306-315, she named them in various ways: the Mother Lodge, the
      Secret Grand Lodge; and, she declared that she knew a number of
      its members personally. From time to time, she was vouched for,
      in writing, by Them, as Their accredited Agent to "our world."
      (see Isis Unveiled II 95-103) The Theos. Mvt. (1875-1950), p.
      30-32.

      Mr. Judge became a frequent visitor to the apartment where she
      was busy writing the pages of the manuscript that was to be
      published in 1877 as Isis Unveiled. He participated in some
      aspects of this work under her direction, and his younger
      brother, John, also assisted. From visitor, to pupil and friend
      was but a short step. During this year Olcott and Judge met with
      HPB night after night, to be instructed in the philosophy of
      occultism and the rationale of psychic and spiritual phenomena.
      Both were witness to numerous demonstrations of occult powers by
      HPB, done in illustration of some principle or tenet in which
      they were being instructed. Her purpose was to establish the
      difference between the perfectly controlled powers of the Adept,
      and the involuntary wonders produced by mediums in trance.

      1874-1875 Judge: Pledged Directly to the Adepts of the
      Great Lodge

      Later, on December 14th 1888, H.P.B. issued to Mr. Judge a
      document in the Esoteric Section of the TS, just formed,
      declaring that he was a chela of thirteen years' standing --
      indicating that in 1974-75 he had been pledged directly to the
      Masters, Initiate Members of the Great Lodge. [Therein she also
      named him her agent for America, and a teacher in the Esoteric
      Section of the TS.]

      Judge's later words show the fruit of this training, for he
      discusses occult subjects as one writing from personal
      experience --a quality lacking in most authors of Theosophical
      writing other than Mme. Blavatsky, or the Masters, in Their
      letters. Years later he spoke of these "amazing feats of magic,
      hundreds of which I witnessed in broad daylight or in blazing
      gas-light, from 1875 to 1878." PATH, Vol. 9, p. 270 fn.

      COL. OLCOTT'S EVALUATION OF W. Q. JUDGE

      Col. Olcott gave an evaluation of the remarkable growth he
      witnessed in the nature of Mr. Judge, who later became, in
      America, the primary "mover" of the Cause of Theosophy.
      [ see Olcott's Old Diary Leaves, Vol. I, p. 144, and
      Proceedings, p. 49, First Annual Convention T S IN Europe, July
      1891.]

      "W.Q.Judge 'was a loyal friend and willing helper, but he was so
      very much our junior that we could not regard him as an equal
      third party. He was more like the youngest son in a family...'"
      wrote Col. Olcott about him.
      see Old Diary Leaves, 1st Vol., p. 73]
      [ p. 92 Hammer on the Mountain by H. Murphet --TPH--1972 ]

      Col. Olcott noted in his diary on in May 12th, 1878, that W.Q.J.
      "had returned to the fold after a long absence." The diary then
      notes: "Judge's first visit since the grand row of a year
      ago..." Old Diary Leaves, Vol. I, p 144

      [ NOTE : Olcott reported in OLD DIARY LEAVES, 1st Volume, that
      his diaries for the early years had "mysteriously disappeared,"
      forcing him to write largely from memory. It is thus possible
      that some errors of date and of opinion have occurred in his
      writing after so many years. ]

      "Mr. Judge's letters to HPB, myself and Damodar show that his
      zeal for Theosophy and all mysticism was unquenchable. His
      greatest desire was that a day might come when he should be free
      to devote all his time and energies to the work of the Society.
      But as the clover seed embedded in the soil twenty feet below the
      surface, germinates when the well-diggers bring it up above
      ground, so the seed we planted in American mind, between the
      years 1874 and 1878, fructified in its due time; and Judge was
      the husbandman predestined to reap our harvest. Thus always,
      Karma evolves its pioneers, sowers and reapers. ...."
      Old Diary Leaves, p. 118' Damodar - S. Eek, p. 104-5

      "Mr. Judge felt what you may call the "divine afflatus" to
      devote himself to the work and to pick up the loose threads we
      had left scattered there in America and carry on. The result
      shows what one man can do who is altogether devoted to his
      cause."
      p. 49, Proceedings of the First Annual Convention of
      the T.S. in Europe, London, July 1891,

      Again, in Old Diary Leaves, IV, p. 508 we find Col. Olcott
      referring to Mr. Judge:--

      "His brain was fertile in good practical ideas, and to his
      labors almost exclusively was due the rapid and extensive growth
      of our movement in the United States; the others, his
      colleagues, but carried out his plans."
      O D L p. 508 [ Eek Bio. p. 13 ]

      Writing in the THEOSOPHIST in November 1892 Col. Olcott said:

      "Though so very much my junior in both age and experience, I
      liked him from the first; and have always fully appreciated his
      excellent qualities, as they developed themselves in the course
      of time. The crowning proof of my regard has just been given in
      my accepting him as my successor in office; which I hope he may
      fill even more acceptably than I have." [Theosophist, November,
      1892, p. 73.]
      [ Ninth Annual Convention of the T S in A, Report of
      Proceedings, 1895, p. 23. ]

      Sven Eek in Damodar, writes:

      "Judge was left very much alone both by H.P.B. and the Masters
      during the years immediately following [ is this true or presumed
      ? -- DTB ] the removal of the Headquarters to India. [Later this
      was questioned, as the HQ of the THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY had always,
      legally, remained in New York - this was acknowledged in early
      writings of Olcott -- date & source DTB ? ]. One reason was, of
      course, that H.P.B. was confronted by so many new problems that
      there was no time left for extensive correspondence with the
      struggling American members; but there was another, which
      concerned the trials of a probationary chela...Judge wrote
      despairingly to Olcott, complaining that he was being left out in
      the cold. He asked for news about the Masters, just anything.

      Judge's correspondence with Damodar dates from this period.
      Unfortunately for Judge, some of these letters were used in
      evidence against him, during the closing years of his life.
      Damodar's replies revealed to the intuitive mind of the young
      Irish-American a more intimate relationship between Master and
      pupil than he had ever hoped for himself, and this made Judge his
      fervent admirer and lifelong friend. In the series entitled "A
      Hindu Chela's Diary," [PATH, Vol. I ] Judge paraphrases
      Damodar's mystic experiences, as described in his letters to him.

      In a letter to Damodar dated June 11, 1883, Judge writes: "I
      have your last. On the back is written in red pencil 'Better
      come M...' [ Original letter in Adyar archives.]

      It was in 1884, which year marked the turning-point in Judge's
      career, that he undertook his long wished-for journey to India,
      the country of his dreams.

      On his way, Judge visited Mme. Blavatsky in Paris, where she was
      staying at the time. He arrived there on March 25th [1884]
      According to some of his published letters [ THE WORD, Vol. 15,
      April 1912, pp 17-18.], he was ordered [ by the Master ] to help
      Mme. Blavatsky in writing The Secret Doctrine. This he did and
      it was not until the end of June that he continued his trip to
      India, where he gave his first lecture on "Theosophy and the
      Destiny of India." He reached Adyar early in August, where he
      remained until sometime in October. " Sven Eek - Damodar - pp
      105-6; "H.P.B. AT ENGHIEN" W Q J Article, LUCIFER, July 1891 9
      Reprinted in W Q J Articles, Vol. I, p. 468 THEOSOPHY COMPANY,
      Los Angeles ]

      1875 Judge and HPB Relationship

      For both Judge and HPB it was the resumption of a relationship
      that both of them acknowledged had been forged many lives, ages
      in the past -- so that we find H.P.B. signing herself to him with
      expressions like: "Yours till death and after, H.P.B."

      [ NOTE: At the end of WQJ's Letters That Have Helped Me,
      THEOSOPHY COMPANY, Los Angeles , p. 276 are given extracts from
      HPB's letters to or about him.]

      1875-77 Isis Unveiled

      H.P.B. assisted by Col. H.S.Olcott and others had the writing
      of Isis Unveiled in hand. Mr. Judge and his younger brother John
      H. Judge, who later became a member of the T S, enthusiastically
      helped HPB in parts of this work.

      1875 Theosophical Society Inaugurated

      HPB told Judge and Olcott of her earlier attempt in Cairo in
      1871 to establish a "Societe Spirite" to explain mediumship and
      spiritualism and to demonstrate the difference between the
      controlled and involuntary trance conditions, between the active
      powers of the Adept, and the passivity of a medium. It had
      failed because of the dishonesty of the mediums available.

      Col. Olcott in May 1875 proposed and attempted the formation of
      a private "Miracle Club" for research into psychism, spiritualism
      and mediumship. This had failed for lack of a suitable "medium."

      Olcott became interested in the promises of "occult" works to be
      done by Mr. George Felt, an Egyptologist, who claimed he could
      control some of the "elemental" forces (nature sprites). On the
      evening of Sept. 7th. 1875 Mr. Felt lectured in Mme. Blavatsky's
      apartment on : "The Lost Cannon of Proportion of the Egyptians."
      While those present were discussing the talk, Col. Olcott later
      recalled that it had been he who had passed a note to Judge
      bearing these words: "Would it not be a good thing to form a
      society for this kind of study?" Mr. Judge read this and passed
      it on to HPB. She nodded assent.
      [OLD DIARY LEAVES, I, p.118]

      [NOTE: Col. Olcott recorded that his early Diaries concerning
      the period around the writing of ISIS had been lost or mislaid,
      and the first volume of Old Diary Leaves was written from memory.

      [ NOTE: Years later, narrating this event to Mrs. Annie Besant,
      H.P.B. indicated that it was she who had originally written the
      note, and had passed it through Judge to Col. Olcott. LUCIFER,
      Vol. 12, p.105 ]

      Writing in THE PATH, Vol. 3, p. 9-10, Mr. Judge states:

      "At that first meeting I proposed Colonel Olcott as President of
      the Society, and was made temporary Secretary myself. A
      committee appointed to select a name for the infant met several
      times after that at Olcott's office, 7 Beekman Street, New York,
      and decided upon the present name. The objects of the Society
      had been given to Col. Olcott by the Masters before that."
      ( see CWB I, pp. 73 94 121-3 473 )

      Judge proposed that the meeting come to "Order;" he then
      suggested that Col. Olcott act as Chairman to consider this
      proposal. Mr. Judge was asked to serve as Secretary. It was
      unanimously agreed that a society should be formed, and on the
      following evening (Sept. 8th, 1875) Judge, again calling the
      meeting to order, proposed Col. Olcott to the Chair. Sixteen
      persons handed in their names to join in founding a society for
      "occult" study. HPB, Col. Olcott, and W. Q. Judge's names were
      among these. Mr. Judge served again as Secretary of the meeting.

      Other meetings were held at various places. The name "The
      Theosophical Society" was proposed and adopted on Sept. 13th and
      several new members were added to the list of "founders."
      October 30th saw the adoption of a Preamble and By-laws drafted
      by Col. Olcott; Officers and a Council were elected: Olcott as
      President, Mme. Blavatsky as Corresponding Secretary, and Mr.
      Judge as Counsel.

      November 17th 1875

      Nov. 17th, at Mott Memorial Hall, 64 Madison Ave. in New York,
      Col. Olcott delivered an "Inaugural Address." THEOSOPHICAL
      MOVEMENT (1875-1950), p. 39-40.

      1875 Original Objects of the Theosophical Society

      The Original Objects are:

      1. To form the nucleus of a Universal Brotherhood of Humanity
      without distinction of race, color, or creed.

      2. To promote the study of Aryan and other Scriptures, of the
      World's religion and sciences, and to vindicate the importance of
      old Asiatic literature, namely, of the Brahmanical, Buddhist, and
      Zoroastrian philosophies.

      3. To investigate the hidden mysteries of Nature under every
      aspect possible, and the psychic and spiritual powers latent in
      man especially.
      Key to Theosophy, HPB, p. 3

      Earlier, H.P.B. wrote in THE THEOSOPHIST, July 1882:

      "our Society was founded at the direct suggestion of Indian and
      Tibetan adepts." "The Society was formed, then gradually made to
      merge into and evolve hints of the teachings from the Secret
      Doctrine of the oldest school of Occult Philosophy in the whole
      world--a school to reform which, finally the Lord Gautama was
      made to appear. These teachings could not be given abruptly.
      They had to be instilled gradually."
      THE THEOSOPHIST, VOL. 29, P. 77-8.
      THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT (1875-1950), PP. 46-47.

      1876 Judge's Trips to Central and South America

      In the archives of the Theosophical University Press, Altadena
      are the original copies of letters sent by Mr. Judge on behalf of
      the T S and himself, as an attorney, from the years 1875 to 1896.
      Early letters confirm his travels to South and Central America,
      including Mexico on behalf of New York mining interests that he
      represented.

      In THE THEOSOPHIST, July and December 1885 issues will be found
      an article by Mr. Judge under the title A WEIRD TALE. This
      narrates a part of his adventures in Mexico and Venezuela and a
      sequel is included which is played out in London. It illustrates
      the usage of a body, made available under karma, that could be
      "borrowed." It also hints at the existence of several centers
      where Adept members of the Great Lodge are at work: the Americas,
      Asia, Egypt and Europe; and how one philosophy and purpose of
      service to mankind serves as their basis.
      A WEIRD TALE is reprinted in W.Q.J LETTERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME,
      p. 207

      It was during one of these trips that Mr. Judge contracted
      Chagres fever [Back-water fever]. He was not able to rid himself
      of its dire after-effects which made his later life a special
      misery. Later on in life under the influence of that disease, he
      developed an abscess in the liver, and possibly, tuberculosis in
      the lungs. In his last year he was fighting for life against the
      pressures of antagonism, general debility, and continued weakness
      and pain. But as narrated by Mr. Griscom above, he hoped to be
      able to restore health to the body and carry on.

      1875-78 In New York

      Olcott wrote that the T S in New York had become comparatively
      inactive by 1877 and its meetings had almost ceased. Notice was
      taken of the ARYA SAMAJ (Society of the Nobles) which in India
      had been sponsored by Dayanand Saraswati, and which had objects
      similar to those of the theosophical society. Correspondence
      showed a unity of purpose. As a consequence the Theosophical
      Society decided that Mme. Blavatsky, as corresponding Secretary
      and Col. Olcott, as President Founder should go to India as a
      COMMITTEE to investigate the possibility of establishing a link
      with that activity. When HPB and Col. Olcott left for India,
      General Abner Doubleday was chosen to serve as President Pro-tem
      of the TS in New York and America.

      1878 Departure of HPB & Col. Olcott for India (as a T S
      Committee)

      August 27th 1878 -- Meeting of the TS in connection with the
      power delegated to Col. Olcott.
      1878 Nov. 14th -- Orders received from Master M to leave between
      Dec 15/20th.

      Dec. 13th -- Diplomatic Passport and Letters of Recommendation
      received for Col. Olcott from the President of the USA.

      Dec. 17th -- HPB & Olcott embark on S. S. Canada

      Dec. 18th -- Steamer anchored off Sandy Hook, awaiting the tide
      to cross the bar. Judge and his brother John both visit the
      passengers on board. They bring the last mail.

      Dec. 20th -- Actual sailing took place.

      CWB, Vol. I, pp. lxiv-lxvi

      1878-83 New York T S

      Mr. Judge, as Recording Secretary of the Society, kept in close
      contact by letter with both of them in India. In the course of
      this writing he entered into frequent correspondence with Mr.
      Damodar K. Mavlankar, who had become a chela of HPB and the
      Masters. Indomitably, in New York he kept up a cycle of
      meetings, whether there was an audience or not.

      Jasper Niemand [ later Mrs. Archibald Keightley ], has left us a
      word-picture in her "Introduction" to the 2nd Volume of W. 2Q.
      Judge's Letters That Have Helped Me :

      "[HPB], who was then the one great exponent, had left the field,
      and the curiosity and interest excited by her original and
      striking mission had died down. The TS was henceforth to
      subsist on its philosophical basis, and this, after long years of
      toil and unyielding persistence, was the point attained by Mr.
      Judge. From his 23rd year [1874] until his death, his best
      efforts and all the fiery energies of his undaunted soul were
      given to this Work.

      We can see him: opening meetings, reading a chapter of the
      Bhagavad Gita, delivering a talk, entering the Minutes, and
      carrying on all the details of a public meeting, as if he were
      not the only person present ! This he did, time after time,
      noting in those Minutes: "Great enthusiasm prevailed." He was
      determined to have a society.
      The Theosophical Movement, (1875-1950), p. 116.

      One of his earliest friends, Mr. A. Neresheimer, reported his
      first encounter with Mr. Judge. Having seen the advertisement of
      a talk he was interested in, he went to the hall, entered and sat
      at the rear. He watched and heard Mr. Judge address the empty
      hall (save but for him), and was greatly struck not only be the
      earnestness of the speaker, but by the value of what was being
      said. He went up and introduced himself after the meeting
      finished and soon he became a member of the TS and an active
      supporter of Mr. Judge in his work for it.

      1883 Aryan Theosophical Society of New York Started

      Mr. Judge and others founded the Aryan Branch of the T S. In
      later years under Mr. Judge's guidance, this Branch set an
      example to all others in effective work in the promulgation of
      Theosophy. He described it as a branch "formed with the idea of
      cementing together the New York members taken into the Parent
      Society while Col. Olcott and Mme. Blavatsky were here, (and, he
      added) it was found that a good many had joined...under the
      impression that it was a new kind of spiritualism, and then had
      retired."

      1884 Board of Control Established at Mr. Judge's Suggestion

      This was organized at Mr. Judge's suggestion by Col. Olcott, for
      the governance of the Society in the United States. This
      executive body superseded the Presidency of General Abner
      Doubleday. [ The
      T S had 5 Branches in the U S A .]

      Mr. Judge was appointed permanent Secretary for the American
      Section of the T S. A post that he held uninterruptedly until
      1895. To each of the eight Annual Conventions of the American
      Section of the TS, Mr. Judge as General Secretary gave a report
      of activities during the year. The Conventions were held towards
      the end of April each year, in various cities - New York,
      Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, etc... The Report for 1888 (2nd)
      observes that no printed Report was made for the First Convention
      in 1887.

      Work Done

      These reports, (starting in 1886 with 12 Branches and a total of
      264 members) summarized important events and the continuous work
      of promulgation that was sustained through those years. By April
      1895 the Society had 102 active Branches in America, and numbered
      over 3,700 members, over 475,000 Theosophical Tracts had been
      mailed (as a total for 10 years).

      1884, April WQJ Assists HPB With Planning the Secret Doctrine

      While in New York, H.P.B. assisted by Col. H.S.Olcott had
      written Isis Unveiled. Mr. Judge and his brother John H. Judge,
      also a member of the TS, had helped HPB in this work. In 1884
      Mr. Judge went to Paris to visit Mme. Blavatsky, who at that time
      HPB was staying with the Count and Countess D'Adhemar at their
      chateau at Enghien. She asked Mr. Judge, to assist her (as he
      had done before when ISIS UNVEILED was in preparation) in
      indexing it, so that some of its contents would be referenced to
      for her use in her planned new book: THE SECRET DOCTRINE.
      "HPB at Enghien" -- WQJ Articles. Vol. I, p. 468 (THEOSOPHY
      COMPANY , Los Angeles ).

      At this time Mr. Judge reported he was going through a critical
      period. He had been assailed with a fit of despondency for
      several weeks, of which he wrote to Jasper Niemand and others in
      New York--influences from the distant past had returned to
      disturb his psychic well-being, he said. A reading in LETTERS
      THAT HAVE HELPED ME, Vol. II, shows how he handled this crisis.

      1884, June Judge Leaves for India

      Intimations of a plot hatched by missionary interests in India
      and the Coulombs (a couple who worked at the Adyar Headquarters
      of the Society) against H.P.B. and the T.S. were received in
      Paris.

      Judge was sent to India, with, as he put it, "full power from the
      President of the Society to do whatever seemed best for our
      protection against an attack we had information was about to be
      made in conjunction with the missionaries who conducted the
      Christian College at Madras."
      [ see "Mme. Blavatsky in India" (Arena) THEOSOPHY. Mag. Vol. 34,
      p. 245

      1884 Judge in India

      Judge arrived in Bombay July 15th. 1884. There he lectured on
      the 18th. at the Branch of the TS on Theosophy and the Destiny of
      India. From there he went to Poona, Hyderabad, Secundrabad, and
      Gooty, (giving talks at TS Branches at each place--summarized and
      noted in THE SUPPLEMENT TO THE THEOSOPHIST). He finally reached
      Adyar on August 10th 1884. There he spent some days with Damodar
      K. Mavlankar and other members of the Council.

      He examined the rough carpentry work that Mr. Coulomb had put in
      without authorization into a wall of Mme. Blavatsky's rooms after
      her earlier departure for Europe with Col. Olcott, and had taken
      out and burned. He wrote on this:

      "I found that Mr. Coulomb had partly finished a hole in the wall
      behind the shrine. It was so new that its edges were ragged with
      the ends of laths and the plaster was still on the floor.
      Against it he had placed an unfinished teak-wood cupboard, made
      for the occasion, and having a false panel in the back that hid
      the hole in the wall. But the panel was too new to work and had
      to be violently kicked to show it was there. It was all
      unplanned, un-oiled, and not rubbed down. He had been dismissed
      before he had time to finish...All these things were discovered
      and examined in the presence of many people..."
      "MADAME BLAVATSKY IN INDIA --. A Reply to Moncure D. Conway"
      THE ARENA (5: 28) March 1892

      Judge then sailed for England and New York, apparently crossing
      the steamers that bore Olcott and HPB (separately) on their
      return trip to India. He arrived back in London and, sailed from
      Liverpool on the 15th for New York on the S. S. Wisconsin.

      It was on this voyage that he met Mr. A. E. S. Smythe the future
      President of the Canadian T S, and finding him interested in
      Theosophy, arranged for further correspondence and meetings with
      him when they were both settled again. Mr. Smythe records these
      later in the pages of THE CANADIAN THEOSOPHIST.

      1884 Dr. Franz Hartmann's Letter From the Master on Judge

      Dr. Franz Hartmann, a physician from Germany, who was
      temporarily resident in Adyar during this period, had received a
      number of letters from the Master M. in German (subsequently
      translated into English). In one, Mr. Judge is mentioned. Judge
      had been advised earlier to visit India, in 1884, by a note from
      the Master, appended to a letter that he had received from
      Damodar K. Mavlankar, who wrote from Adyar. Mr. Judge
      acknowledged the receipt of this note of the Master to Damodar in
      his letter dated June 11th, 1883. A year later he was able to
      make the visit (as already narrated).

      The eighth letter from the Master that Dr. F. Hartmann received
      (written in German) carried a remark concerning W. Q. Judge's
      trip to India. The date of the letter is given by Hartmann as
      July 30, 1894, which is most likely wrong, as Judge left Europe
      at the end of June 1884 and arrived in Bombay July 15, 1884. An
      excerpt from it preserved in translation from the German reads as
      follows :

      "...There are letters which show that she [Mme. Coulomb] tried
      to persuade Upasika [HPB] that the reason why you wish to banish
      her and Mr. C[oulomb]. Is that you are in command over the
      situation, and wish to deliver the Society in to the hands of the
      Spiritualists...Be friendly towards W. Q. Judge. He is true,
      faithful and trustworthy..." M
      BLAVATSKY: Collected Works, Vol. 8, p. 448.

      1886 April The Path (monthly) 1st Issue Published

      Mr. Judge issued the first copy of THE PATH magazine in April
      1886.

      In its opening editorial, Mr. Judge declared that THE PATH was
      to be:

      "A magazine devoted to the Brotherhood of Humanity, Theosophy in
      America, and the study of Occult Science, Philosophy, and Aryan
      Literature."

      He further stated that the T S was not responsible for any
      opinion or declaration made in it, unless it was titled an
      "official document." Unsigned articles were Mr. Judge's (the
      Editor's) responsibility. It was not intended to rival or
      replace THE THEOSOPHIST -- which was the organ of the T S. THE
      THEOSOPHIST, being published in India, it was difficult to bring
      it to the attention of many persons in America whom THE PATH was
      designed to contact.

      THE PATH, he wrote, would "endeavor to point out that way shown
      by the ancient sages, whose light was still shining brightly, it
      would take heed of the discoveries of others, also of psychism,
      without being attached to the marvels of phenomenalism. It would
      be devoted to true occultism--as found in The Bhagavad Gita and
      Light on the Path--the kingly science and the kingly mystery"
      which :

      "...is devotion to and study of the light which comes from
      within. The very first step in true mysticism and true occultism
      is to try to apprehend the meaning of Universal Brotherhood,
      without which the very highest progress in the practice of magic
      turns to ashes in the mouth... What is wanted is true knowledge
      of the spiritual condition of man, his aim and destiny...such a
      study leads us to accept the utterance of Prajapati to his sons:
      "Be restrained, be liberal, be merciful;" it is the death of
      selfishness." The Path, Vol. 1, p. 2-3

      HPB wrote:

      "The society has more victorious disciples than is commonly
      supposed. But these stand aside and work instead of declaiming.
      Such are our most zealous...When they write they hide their
      names; when they read garbled translations of sacred books, they
      see the real meaning under the veil...for they know the mystery
      language." Eternal Verities, p. 270

      1886 Leading to the Formation of the American Section
      of the T S

      At Mr. Judge's request, acting as Secretary of the American
      Branches, a "Board of Control" had been established by Col.
      Olcott in 1884 to deal efficiently with local administrative
      details and problems in the American Section.

      Prof. Elliot Coues of the "Gnostic Branch, T.S." in Washington
      D.C. was later elected to this Board, and he then proceeded to
      try to achieve control over it and oust Mr. Judge. He carried on
      a disruptive correspondence with Col. Olcott and Mme. Blavatsky
      (who were in India and Europe), and, in America, with Judge and
      others. He made Mr. Judge's work very difficult. As Dr. Coues
      was unable to obtain what he desired, owing to the solidarity
      between HPB and Judge, he became disaffected, acrimonious and
      obstructionist, and had finally he had to be expelled from the TS
      (June 22nd, 1889) for adequate reasons. [This attitude
      culminated in his publishing in the New York SUN for July 20th
      1890 a slanderous letter attacking HPB. Whereupon Mr. Judge,
      acting as her attorney, took him and the New York Sun, in August
      1890, to court for those slanders.]
      ( see : W. A. Carrithers "The Truth About Mme. Blavatsky,
      Theosophical University Press, Covina, Apl. 1947 )

      The NEW YORK SUN, through its attorneys, proceeded to thoroughly
      investigate every charge Coues had made against HPB. It found
      them, without exception, to be without foundation in fact. THE
      SUN published a retraction on September 26th. 1892, although by
      that time HPB had died, and the suit had been automatically
      terminated by that event. The editor of the SUN asked Mr. Judge
      to write an article on Mme. Blavatsky for it, and which they
      published along with the "retraction." They published this,
      changing his title to: THE ESOTERIC SHE -- THE LATE MME.
      BLAVATSKY -- A Sketch of Her Career, By William Quan Judge.
      [WQJ Articles., Vol. II, p. 27]

      1886, July HPB Explains to Judge Why She is in Europe

      Ostende, July 1886

      [To: Judge ]

      "Well, sir, and my only friend, the crisis is nearing. I am
      ending my SECRET DOCTRINE, and you are going to replace me, or
      take my place in America. I know you will have success if you do
      not lose heart; but do, do remain true to the Masters and Their
      Theosophy and the names...May They help you and allow us to send
      you our best blessings...

      I am offered any amount of money, an income, board, lodging, all
      free to come to America and work without you, i.e., against
      you...I rather lose the whole American lot to the last man, X----
      included, than YOU. Perhaps soon now, they will know why...Now
      be so kind as to write to me plainly (so that I can read) what
      you expect me to do and what I must not do. And I give you my
      word that I shall follow your instructions. Let us understand
      each other, mutually. But till now no one ever said to me a word
      about you asking to do this or that. Write to me direct and I
      will do it. Goodbye my Irish crocodile, and may Master protect
      you."
      "She Being Dead Yet Speaketh" -- H.P.Blavatsky

      HPB Art., Vol. I, p. 121, (ULT), WQJ Letters , p. 280.
      Blavatsky: Collected Works, Vol. 7, p. xxvii.

      1886, Oct. 3 HPB Explains how the Nirmanakaya
      Had Blended with Mr. Judges' Astral in India.

      Ostende, Oct. 3, 1886

      [ To: Judge ]

      "The trouble with you is that you do not know the great
      change that came to pass in you a few years ago. Others have
      occasionally their astrals changed and replaced by those of
      Adepts (as of Elementaries) and they influence the outer, and the
      higher man. With you, it is the Nirmanakaya not the 'astral'
      that is blended with your astral. Hence the dual nature and
      fighting." -- H.P.Blavatsky

      WQJ Biography, Eek & de Zircov, p. 19.
      N.W. Vol. VII, p. xxvii, 138.
      (from HPB's original letter on file at T .S. Pasadena)

      [NOTE: This would seem to explain the psychological mystery of
      Mr. Judge's body having been "borrowed," so to say, for this
      incarnation.]

      1886, Oct. 30 American Section of the T S Founded

      Later in 1886, June Col. Olcott issued an official Order for the
      formation of the American Section of the T S. (The First
      Convention of the new Section was held in New York in April
      1887.) Mr. Judge was appointed its permanent General Secretary.
      THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT (1875-1950), pp. 118, 144-155.

      1887-1888 "AN EPITOME OF THEOSOPHY" (30 pages)

      An Epitome of Theosophy was rewritten by Mr. Judge from a 4 page
      "tract," first published in THE PATH, and then used for
      widespread mailings by the Aryan T.S. in "The Tract Mailing
      Scheme." Both the original tract, and later the 30 page
      statement of the origin, basis, purpose and practical use of
      Theosophy had a tremendous circulation and was largely
      instrumental in the great renaissance of interest in Theosophy
      that can be dated from 1886, when THE PATH, edited and paid for
      by W.Q.Judge, began publication.

      HPB, writing to a mutual friend about Judge said:

      "He who does all and the best that he can and knows how does
      enough for Them [Masters]. This is a message for Judge, His
      Path begins to beat The Theosophist out of sight. It is most
      excellent...The Path alone is his certificate for him in
      Theosophy."

      "He says and writes and prints he is my agent (of the Master
      rather, not mine). Therefore it is easy for him to say that any
      alterations are as by myself...And look here, if he does
      protest...against what I say about him in my forthcoming
      Instructions, then I will curse him on my death-bed. He does not
      know what I do. He has to be defended whether he will or not.
      He has much to endure and he is overworked...." -- H.P.B.
      WQJ -- LETTERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME , p. 279.

      1887, April 24 First Convention of the American Section of
      The T S Held in New York

      No report of the Proceedings was published for this year,
      although in one of his letters to Col. Olcott, written at a later
      date, Judge refers to a "report" that had been sent by him to
      Olcott on this event. The Report of the Proceedings of the
      Second Convention of the American Section, T S was published a
      year later and in this Mr. Judge writes briefly, and gives a
      history of the foundation of the Society by its original
      founders. By 1884, 12 Branches (264 members) were working in
      America. Other active Branches were in England, Europe and
      India.

      1887, May 18 WQJ Writes to HPB Suggesting that
      "Something be Done for Those who Desire to Become Chelas"

      Judge states that a number of ardent Theosophists are asking if
      some "formalities" can be arranged so that they might better
      serve the Cause of the Masters--a chance to make a preliminary
      trial of themselves, to become chelas ?

      [To this he attached a draft reply for consideration. Time
      passed, and about a year later HPB summoned him to London to help
      her set up the Esoteric Section of the T S, its Pledge, Rules,
      and other documents as needed.] PRACTICAL OCCULTISM,
      (THEOSOPHICAL UNIVERSITY PRESS), p.85-6.

      1888, April 22-23, Second Convention American Section
      - Chicago

      A printed report by Mr. Judge, Gen. Secy., includes from HPB

      1888 April 3rd. HPB's First "Message" to American Theosophists

      "To: William Q. Judge,

      General Secretary of the American Section of the
      Theosophical Society.

      My Dearest Brother and Co-Founder of the Theosophical Society:

      In addressing to you this letter, which I request you to read to
      the convention summoned for April 22nd, [1888]...We were several,
      to call it to life in 1875. Since then you have remained alone
      to preserve that life through good and evil report. It is to you
      chiefly, if not entirely, that the Theosophical Society owes its
      existence in 1888. Let me then thank you for it, for the first
      and perhaps the last time, publicly, and from the bottom of my
      heart, which beats only for the cause you represent so well and
      serve so faithfully. I ask you to remember that, on this
      occasion, my voice is but the feeble echo of other more sacred
      voices, and the transmitter of the approval of Those whose
      presence is alive in more than one true Theosophical heart, and
      lives, as I know, pre-eminently in yours..." -- HPB
      LETTERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME , WQJ., p. 276-7.

      1888 Proceedings of the Second Convention of the American TS

      The Report to the Second Convention of the American Section T S
      includes the information that since the Convention in 1887, 10
      new Branches had been chartered, and the membership now stood at
      302 - or [in one year] over half the total gained in the
      preceding 13 years. Mr. Judge adds: "The recorded number does
      not show our real strength here any more than it does in India.
      There, some tens of thousands in reality are theosophists who
      cannot be found upon the books, and here as well we have not only
      unrecorded adherents, but also powers and principalities who work
      for this Cause. The last fact is what explains the extraordinary
      increase in our Branch list within a year...

      "HOW TO JOIN THE T.S," a flyer, "was prepared to help answer the
      many inquiries that have poured in...Branches were asked if they
      would print abs<br/><br/>(Message over 64 KB, truncated)