  • ramadoss@infohwy.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2001
      Here is a msg from K Maillist which may be of interest to theosophical
      organizations and they can too take advantage of the current US Court
      Ruling if they want to make theosophical material available to thirst souls.

      mkr

      Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2001 23:30:30 -0500
      To: listening-l@...-Berlin.DE
      From: ramadoss@...
      Subject: Re: electronic publishing
      Sender: listening-l-owner@...-Berlin.DE

      At 04:21 AM 7/15/01 +0000, Bruce Morgen wrote:
      On Sat, 14 Jul 2001 23:11:25 -0500 ramadoss <ramadoss@...>
      writes:
      > A recent US Supreme Court decision opens up the possibility of making
      almost all Krishnamurti publications in the US be made available on the
      Internet with the consent of the authors where necessary and with no
      interference from the publishers. It is usually the publishing contract
      with the publisher which prevents publication on the Internet without the
      permission from and payment to the publisher. Here is the
      situation.

      "If a book was written and published a few years back, the
      publisher may not have electronic rights to the book. This
      might mean that many authors could put their books on the
      Internet and distribute them in ebook form, if they wish,
      without needing advance permission from the publishers."

      I hope K organization would take advantage of the opportunity.

      Since the K canon has already
      been published in electronic
      form (on CD-ROM, presumably
      with copyright claimed), it's
      unclear whether the above
      applies. The attitude of the
      "K organization" has been
      skeptical of electronic media
      -- perhaps because a good
      deal of their incoming cash
      flow comes from royalties and
      book sales.
      You are right. My earlier attempts to encourage
      K organizations to put material on Internet has
      been met with silence. Even the CD rom is
      outrageously priced and in this day and age
      when publications on CD Rom has come
      down, they are still holding on to the high price.
      At Kinfonet site they are offering a subscription
      pricing of $50.00 a year the info on CD Rom.
      I have mailed the above to the K Foundations
      in USA, UK, Canada, and India and I hope
      one of them takes the initiative and move
      into Internet age, not just use Internet as a tool
      to sell more their hard copy publications. Time
      only will tell.
      mkr

      +++ First Aid: email 'intro listening-l' to <Majordomo@...-Berlin.DE> +++