  • gregory@zeta.org.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 14, 2001
      Thank you, Dallas, for the lengthy comments on the ULT. If you do not know about the DES, the following may be of interest:

      Following Crosbie¹s death ULT (as always anonymous) writers emphasized the esoteric importance of his work and his ³succession²:
      ³Robert Crosbie preserved unbroken the link of the Second Section of the Theosophical Movement from the passing of Mr Judge in 1896, and in 1907 - just eleven years later - made that link once more Four Square amongst men. In the year 1909 the Third Section was restored by the formation of the United Lodge of Theosophists.²[Theosophy, Vol VII, No 10, August, 1919:290] ³There is always one Witness on the scene. After the death of Mr Judge, Robert Crosbie kept the link unbroken.² [ibid:290]

      In real terms, the ULT has always possessed a power structure and leadership as strong - indeed, arguably stronger since its existence is concealed - than any other Theosophical Society. Indeed, a 1938 court case held that the ULT was a business belonging to the then leader, John Garrigues. The Parent Lodge of the ULT is Los Angeles has always been the de facto power centre; following Crosbie¹s death in 1919, he was succeeded by John Garrigues, after his death in 1944 by Grace Clough.

      Within the ULT a separate ES, claiming continuity with that of HPB, was established in 1909 with the title ³Dzyan Esoteric School², which it claimed was the proper title of the Second Section of the Theosophical Society. Indeed, the original charters issued by HPB to lodges of the ES did have that title at their head. The DES claimed to be on ³the original lines² of the ES under HPB. It taught that HPB remained the Real Head of the School, and wherever she was referred to, capital letters (including She and Her) are used.

      The first DES group was established in Los Angeles by Robert Crosbie in November 1909, and extended to San Francisco in 1911, by which time it had only 11 members. By 1923, however, the DES had extended to other major cities in the USA. In 1928, B.P. Wadia (who resigned from the Adyar society in 1922 as a result of the Leadbeater scandals), after seven years work in New York and Washington, established groups in Europe and India, and became the Eastern Agent or Secretary of the DES.

      The DES works through Eastern and Western Divisions, and has both group and corresponding members. Its work is said to be the preservation of the teachings of HPB and WQJ. Its claim to continuity with HPB¹s group is said to be supported by the fact that Crosbie alone noted that the true name of the group was meant to be DES, not just ES.

      Applicants for membership must be members of the ULT for at least 3 months, abstain from alcohol and drugs, but moderate use of tobacco is permitted. Members are required to meditate for half an hour each day, and may not belong to any other occult or esoteric organization, Freemasonry excepted. No-one is asked to join; intuition should lead a member to ask about such a group. Members are not expected to deny the existence of the DES, merely to avoid discussing. The DES is divided into local Groups, each with a President.

      The DES teaching documents are, essentially, those of HPB as used by WQJ, with an additional ³Preliminary Memorandum² written by Crosbie, and its own book of rules. The DES issues the Probationer¹s Pledge, the Preliminary Memorandum, the Book of Rules, and Instructions I to VI, together with Suggestions and Aids I to IX.

      I have, and have read, all the works to which you refer. THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT (in both editions) includes no material on the "inner" history of the Theosophical Movement: for example, the DES is not even mentioned in connection with the ULT. Regardles of public statements and claims, secret, inner groups have been extraordinarily powerful in the control of all Theosophical Societies. It cannot seriously be argued that, for example, the ES within the Adyar TS has not been the real centre of political power within that Society.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 17, 2001
        Sunday, July 15, 2001

        Dear Gregory:

        Thank you for sending this in such detail. I have always been
        puzzled about the quotation you give as taken from the magazine
        THEOSOPHY. I have never found an explanation for it.

        In my studies, I have however, seen some suggestive references
        that point to the ancient "Sodalian Oath" taken on the sacred
        SQUARE: Tetraktys. And so far, these are in ISIS UNVEILED, Vol.
        I p. 9, and Vol. II, pp. 398-402, 410. The same subject seems to
        reprint), p. 88, [ BLAVATSKY: Collected Works (TPH), Vol. 10,
        after p 275. I believe, towards the end of Section V, about 3
        pages from the end (I do not have the exact page handy.] One
        might surmise that the square on a surface develops into a CUBE
        as a volume, and the cube unfolded leads, in one configuration to
        the cross. (S D II p. 600fn)

        I have no idea of the value or exactitude of the information you
        provide after that. I returned to live in Los Angeles in 1969,
        having spent over 35 years in India and the Orient..

        My reading of documents relating to the books "THE THEOSOPHICAL
        MOVEMENT -- 1875 - 1925," and "THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT --
        1875 - 1950" ( and the older Theosophical magazines published
        around the period 1888-1896) acquainted me with some of the
        information made public concerning "The Esoteric Section (ES) of
        the THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY" that H P B started in London in 1888.
        Included was some detail of the part that Mr. Judge, Mr. Crosbie,
        (and others) played in it. On the whole it was sparse. Except
        for noting here and there some details that Mme. Blavatsky and
        others have provided, mostly through reprinted letters and
        articles of theirs, the rest of the comments you make are noted
        with interest.

        I would comment that the capitalizing of the pronouns relating to
        Mme. Blavatsky ( She, Her) appears to me a show of respect. I
        have seen this in the Orient, and imagine that is the reason for
        it. I would subscribe to the idea, as I feel personally, very
        much in debt to H. P. Blavatsky, for her gift of the Mahatma's
        teachings of Theosophy. [ S D I p. 272-3 ]

        As a student of science (for such is my inclination) I feel very
        strongly, after years of study, that Theosophical doctrines and
        teachings fill gaps in scientific theory and hypotheses, that
        otherwise are left either discohate or void and unexplained.
        Because of this aspect, my study of Theosophy has always been one
        of questioning, and, a seeking to examine all that was presented
        in terms of logic, cohesiveness and coherence.

        My reading and study of Theosophical literature has been
        extensive. I have acquired, read and use original editions of
        the books and original issues of the old magazines.

        As a student of Science and of History, I have kept extensive
        notes and indexes as my continuing interest drives me to verify,
        as far as I am able, the propositions and statement that have
        advanced under the name "Theosophical." I believe it is
        important to consider all that has been made available so as to
        determine their values and accuracy.

        In regard to the matters concerning the E S of the THEOSOPHICAL
        SOCIETY, the E S T, the E S, etc., etc. I have noticed (and taken
        seriously to myself) the desire expressed by Mme. Blavatsky, Mr.
        Judge, (and their teachers, the Mahatmas) that matters of
        "esotericism" be kept private and not discussed publicly. I
        have therefore, for myself, and out of respect for their wishes,
        made it a rule of not discussing such affairs as might impinge on
        their request for privacy. In any case, whatever I might glean,
        it seems to me would only be speculative and very superficial
        information, and probably, be quite useless to others.

        It has been my experience in the study of Theosophy, that it
        unfolds, or seems like the reported Kum Bum tree to present
        different aspects each time one returns to the study of its many
        expressions and the writings that offer details and explanations.

        There are depths and gaps in pre-history, and in History, which
        our present archives, museums, universities, and the departments
        of archaeology, geology and paleontology cannot fully explain. I
        have noted that during the past 100 years cosmology and astronomy
        tend to verify the Theosophical doctrines issued some 125 years
        ago. It is also apparent to me that study of the "very small"
        such as the composition and components of the ATOM, tend also to
        verify Theosophical doctrines concerning their individual
        independence, potential "consciousness," and continuing purpose.

        What has also struck me as important, is the fact that Nature
        (our earth, and the Universe) which science continually studies,
        reveals, as its secrets are unveiled, the general existence of
        Law, laws, and purposes for every material phenomena. This
        suggests to me that the claim made by the Adepts to having
        studied (and recorded their investigations) may very well be
        possible. (S D I p. 272-292)

        At least I feel they have enough usefulness, and there is
        sufficient testimony concerning them, to permit their retention
        as a possible explanations for Universal and individual
        inter-relation. And the "sensitivity" that I notice, pervades
        the kingdoms of Nature, including humanity, and their other
        components, both physical and metaphysical, or invisible and

        Chemistry, physics, mathematics, engineering, astronomy, evidence
        of the sequence of ancient cataclysms and geological change, the
        origin of philosophy and metaphysical thinking, the fact of the
        common antiquity of concepts that underlie the origin and
        formation of various religions, all, seem to have relevance. At
        least, if taken as a whole, it tends to support and explain the
        information given in a condensed way through H.P.Blavatsky's

        This field of study is admittedly vast, and may be partially, to
        my own experience and ability to verify, speculative. But I do
        sense a rationality and a vast logic that underlies these
        expressions of doctrine and teaching. I think we have also, an
        adequate basis for extending our many areas of study, and to make
        that study and the interest that many students of Theosophy have,
        to continue it. It also seems to me that there is special room
        for an effort to verify it, encourage others to study and, do
        some of the "proving," which is valuable to individual credence,
        especially in an ethico-moral sense, and also, from the economic
        and health aspects of living.. I believe the need for a
        non-coercive, and non-regulated (as far as I can determine,
        through some 60 years of experience) association, such as the
        U.L.T., seems justified.

        So, one might surmise, any ethical consideration has to be
        appended to the unveiling of any (and all) of the "secrets" of
        Nature. In practical industrial, economic and social life, it
        may take years for the superficial hints that an attentive
        researcher notes as product and processes are developed, to be
        translated into the necessary safety procedures that enable the
        safer production of a dangerous substance. My guess is that
        'esotericism" is of a somewhat similar nature. Perhaps some
        analogies that are of a more valid nature could be developed.

        In the meantime what has Theosophy stressed? To me these are:

        1. A logical, coherent and continuing base for all evolution
        when viewed in its entirety.

        2. Nature's components participate in this development.

        If considered immortals, as Science considers the atoms
        (with their uniform and diverse properties) to be} then there is
        a continuous increment of experience stored as memory (if
        intelligence and consciousness of either a rudimentary or a
        complex nature is permitted to them). Humans represent a
        mid-stage development between the pole of ignorance and
        inexperience, and that of a perfect and complete knowledge of all
        the intricacies of the Universe. [But it would take immortality
        to provide the necessary "time" to complete this individual
        project. Many repetitive "lives"-- reincarnation as a process.].

        3. The "Cause" or "reason" for existence and evolution
        whether Universal, worldly, or personal is evident -- existence,
        life, intelligence -- are all conditions that provide for
        individual development.

        Our Universe (from small to large, from visible to invisible,
        from causal to Perfection, seems to me, to exist for the
        educations of the individual perceptive faculty. [ This may be
        called "Self-consciousness," or the power of self reflection and
        consideration. These terms, being used in their Theosophical
        sense, of course.]

        I was recently rereading pages in H P B's : FROM THE CAVES AND
        JUNGLES OF HINDOOSTAN, (Theosophical Publishing House, 1975 Edn.
        with newly included translations of some of her articles into
        English). I was struck by what was then being said in regard to
        the invisible and secret side of the "Laws of Nature." It said
        to me that psychology ( the human implication and the human
        "situation" ) was a most important component of any discovery and
        its development, or of any review involving historical reports on
        events, and their probable causes. How much always remains
        unsaid? How much does the reader need to explain and discover
        for himself?

        And in psychology, an understanding of the continuity of a
        human's consciousness that alters nightly into realms of
        unconsciousness, deep sleep, dreams, altered states, changes in
        egoic perception, etc... is yet to be fully grasped or finalized,
        in spite of all the information that relates thereto available
        from Theosophy.

        The introduction of the concept of individual immortality, that
        there is in each human a single, a continuous [un-dying (S D II
        pp. 275fn 281-2)] CONSCIOUSNESS, which serves to record and
        remember all experiences, would cut leagues off the tedious
        effort to discover that man has essentially (at core) an
        ethico-moral existence, and that while one aspect of the
        "personality" [called in Theosophy the Lower Ego -- Kama-Manas]
        represents our earth-oriented perception, something inside
        ourselves, simultaneously represents the "INDIVIDUAL" [ or, the
        Higher Ego -- Buddhi-Manas ] and continuous development of the
        immortal, eternal and divine Ego [Atma-Budhi] in each of us --
        called, "the Eternal Pilgrim" by some mystics. Man, viewed as an
        immortal, and Karma viewed as the force and cause that makes
        reincarnation a necessity, are (as I see them) psychological
        components of man's purpose for existence and his realty in the
        "here and now." Gradually, I see these two concepts taking root
        in the mind of thinking inquiring people.

        To this, one might add that "reincarnation" and the immortality
        of the Egoic Consciousness are still remote concepts. It is not
        unseemly that they be taken seriously, researched, and such
        factual information (as is already available) sifted and stored
        for on-going consideration.

        What do we know (outside of speculation and theory) of the causes
        for the formation of our Earth, or the Universe? What is the
        purpose of the Universe? If the nature of Man and that of the
        Universe have resemblance, is this being investigated and
        seriously traced? It is so easy (and un-scientific) to push
        these considerations off into the lap and hands of a totally
        unprovable Personal God, or, if one is an agnostic, into the
        realms of chance, luck and maybe. Somewhere where we no longer
        need to think about it. But that does not eliminate them from
        the need for definition and consideration.

        I would like to add the following, and I am sure this is not a
        unique observation.

        The study of the texts we have before us, the great books like
        OF THE SILENCE, H.P.Blavatsky's many articles and letters, Mr.
        Judge's books, articles and letters probably contain within them
        the esotericism and occultism everyone seeks. I sense from time
        to time, that veiled hints are offered, in these books, articles,
        and letters of an "esoteric universe" which exist as cause within
        the visible physical universe we live in and sense continually.

        I believe (I can only use this badly abused word to indicate that
        I seek confirmation) that only the attentive student may pick
        them up, as they are probably not seen as identical for all.
        And one of the keys, as I think of it, is the one that stresses
        the need for a total personal harmlessness, generosity, and a
        protective spirit. And, this ought to be coupled with an attitude
        of careful regard for the well being of others.

        I sense that this alone will open the so tightly closed "doors."
        Apparently the principles and secrets of Nature (which already
        contains and uses them all) will become apparent to those who
        perceive that no important "secret" will ever be revealed except
        to those who will not abuse such secrets for selfish benefits
        under any circumstance. I may be wrong, but I believe we are
        faced here with the great paradox: How does the free-will of
        "man" (and woman) exist in a universe (and earth) entirely
        governed by immutable laws ?

        I have no ready-made answer for this, but I am seeking. I see
        those Laws expressed or implied everywhere, and I also see them
        broken and transgressed -- and not always do I see retribution in
        action. One wonders about "accidents, infections, epidemics,
        cataclysms, "illnesses," etc. What are their true causes? Why
        are some affected and others are not?

        I am sorry, I can only write of what I know. and what I have
        thought about and observed. It seems to be at variance with some
        of the details you advance. For me the freedom of study, and
        interfaced inquiry, co-examination and co-research, has been one
        of the most important aspects of my living. This is what I value
        in the U.L.T. and what I would like to see continued.

        I am content that I am not weighted down with any structure of
        external procedures and compliances, which have to my mind, no
        important bearing on the personal, practical and important work
        of my living, so as to learn more of this marvelous world and
        universe we live in. I hope that others will also perceive this
        value. Of what value would be personal "decision making power,"
        or the manipulations of "management," if the end in view is
        acquiring knowledge and this is coupled with an opportunity for
        the free individual to seek for it, and to use such assistance as
        they may be able to get?

        To me the U.L.T. is a convenience, and I am glad it is there --
        to assist and to be assisted, as I believe that it has important
        uses for the future. If the unadulterated, pure TEACHINGS of
        THEOSOPHY can be made available to our "successors" in time, it
        (U.L.T. ) will have served a great purpose. And we may take some
        comfort from having provided some of the continuing impetus
        towards that end. It is for this reason that I sent you a
        synopsis of the details I know of, concerning the work and
        functions of U.L.T. .

        As I see it, it (U.L.T. ) has done much in the past 90 years.
        One of its great services was in the first 50 years of this
        century: to force (by example) the various Theosophical bodies
        (some with divergent and "secret" editing of H.P.Blavatsky's
        original texts), to refocus on the ORIGINALS, and to provide them
        for the study of their members and adherents.
        U.L.T. does not subscribe to or recommend alternative or
        co-existent organizations of a religious or philosophical
        character, it recommends an attentive awareness of, and for those
        who elect to do so, an individual study of various world
        religions, philosophical and psychological discoveries and
        It is very interesting indeed to watch the relative approaches of
        our sciences to the basic concepts and original teachings that
        Theosophy has already put forward.
        As to "membership?" there is none, as "associates, by definition
        are free and independent of any strictures. The idea of there
        being a place where anyone is welcome to take advantage of the
        facilities made freely available for deep study, is, in U.L.T., a
        fundamental one -- an opportunity to study, exchange ideas and
        queries without the fear that they will be ridiculed, or ignored
        or derided by incredulous criticism..
        As volunteers we who work with and for the ideals and purposes
        of the U.L.T., do so always in collaboration with our friends
        and brothers. I can see no other way in which an association
        such as this, with widely scattered centers, and based on a
        declaration as clearly expressed and defined as U.L.T.
        Declaration is, could work otherwise. It is truly "without
        I would also observe that the U.L.T. does not endorse any
        concept of "successorship" -- whether occult or otherwise. It
        recognizes innate worth. It adds that the same foundations and
        potentials are to be fund in everyone. It is truly cosmopolitan,
        inter-racial, and eclectic. It applauds the achievements of
        individuals who have self-sacrificingly learned to do good
        (through wisdom) for others, and do not think of, or require, or
        even dream of, "recompense."
        I guess this would include the idea of any "passing occult
        authority" -- and of this I have had no evidence. [I would
        strongly object to it, if I found it to be in operation, a it is
        a violation of the U.L.T. ideals, and would tend to abridge
        individual self-reliance and freedom of choice.]
        In view of the DECLARATION of the U.L.T. such ideas would be
        abhorrent to its work and existence. I think that the function
        of Mr. John Garrigues, as far as I know, was as the first
        President of the Theosophy Company. He was called familiarly,
        "Uncle John." And I believe that this defines his outlook,
        wisdom, lack of self-imposition and open, engaging friendliness,
        as far as I have been able to determine.
        Another point: As you already know the THEOSOPHY COMPANY
        exercises no control or authority over the functions and work of
        the U.L.T., although it is quite true that the T. Co. is composed
        of volunteer trustees drawn from among those who have been
        longest in U.L.T. It is the servant, and not the boss of the
        U.L.T. { Did you ever read Mr. Judge's (unsigned) article ON
        FUNDS AND PROPERTY , PATH, Vol. 8, p. 356. It defines for us the
        functions of the T. Co. -- as a "tool" and not a "master."
        I think we owe H.P.Blavatsky and the Masters a great debt of
        gratitude for reducing the confusion created by the gaps of
        knowledge that remain to be bridged between various scientific
        and investigative disciplines. If you consider the information
        amassed in ISIS UNVEILED and The SECRET DOCTRINE , I believe that
        you / we can observe a reduction in confusion and a strengthening
        of theory and hypotheses if that were employed..
        Considered that the panorama and extent of knowledge and
        information is so difficult to encompass as a whole, we all have
        developed a great respect for, nay, a love for H.P.Blavatsky and
        the Masters I can only say I speak for myself, as I believe
        that it dawns on us, gradually, an idea of what Their ability to
        provide us with our needs of a knowledge deeper, and greater than
        we have. For this is, I think, is the real meaning of what a
        great Teacher and Reformer has the ability to actually say or
        write. I mean assembling, in a relatively small compass, the
        history of our evolution, and the real constitution of the world
        of which we are an essential part. And then showing the
        substratum, the lattice-work of laws and relationships that makes
        for the ordered disharmony of our world and universe. To us it
        may appear discohate, but in fact the subtle relationships and
        adjustments gradually make sense as we learn to look for and see
        them in operation. I do not mean this is some vague psychic
        sense, but in terms of mental perception and understanding. The
        many actions of the autonomic systems in our own bodies are an
        index (to me) of the greater complexity in our world and

        The dignity of, and the divinity in man, and the respect we all
        owe to Nature, have been reinstalled. What more do we need?
        Only a free forum, non-structured, in which independent students
        can discuss those teachings, with friendship, brotherhood and
        tolerance, and thus, add to their grasp and understanding of
        their own purpose for living.

        I can see and hope that this work will spread into the future,
        and, as H.P.Blavatsky and Mr. Judge hoped, gradually the mind and
        heart of humanity will be directed from material comforts and
        silly pastimes that waste time, to a progressive interest in the
        actual support of one-another and of the continued well being of
        our Parent: the Earth, -- which, to us -- represents the
        UNIVERSE. One might say that we live our life is in those Stars
        in more ways than one.

        But in conclusion, let me stress that to my mind the
        harmlessness, generosity, universality and impersonality of
        application in regard to all knowledge one might acquire, is very
        important. Possibly it is the only key that will unlock for us
        Nature's inclusive secrets. I say "inclusive" because I think it
        is our own attitude as "personalities" that keep us excluded from

        Best wishes,

        Thank you, Dallas, for the lengthy comments on the ULT.