Krishnamurti, Theosophy, and the Esoteric

  • ramadoss@infohwy.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 12, 2001
      Here is an interesting post from another maillist.

      When I read the post I was reminded of Gauthama Buddha's answer when asked
      about how the universe was created.

      In dealing with theosophy, you have various beliefs -- those who espouse
      the "hidden" objectives, and those who believe in the overriding importance
      of the psychic techniques and practices over the main thrust why theosophy
      was presented to the world in 1875 in addition to the belief in the
      practice of the hierarchical systems operating in a democratic environment
      it is time to ponder and examine why one sees a lack of vitality seen in
      the early days.

      Time to think!!!

      mkr

      mkr

      Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2001 04:10:55 -0400
      To: listening-l@...-Berlin.DE
      From: Somendra Pant <pants@...>
      Subject: Krishnamurti, Theosophy, and the Esoteric
      Sender: listening-l-owner@...-Berlin.DE

      A few years before his death (in 1984), a colleague at Rishi Valley asked K
      about all that has been written about him and his various experiences in
      various books on him. He did not deny any of that (his various
      "experiences", Lord Maitreya, etc.) but merely said: "Madam, that is not
      important." That statement is consistent with what he said on other
      occasions to others as well.

      Mary Lutyens books were written with K's own approval, as was Pupul
      Jayakar's. Excepting the very last of the Lutyens books, all others were in
      print before Krishnamurti died and he did not discount or deny any of the
      material written about him.

      Even in his discussions with physicist Bohm, he alludes to an after-life,
      "the stream" that goes on after the physical death of a person (Richard was
      kind enough to provide references).
      So, it may not be accurate to classify what Krishnamurti said as his
      "Theosphy" and "post-Theosophy" days. Post-theosophy Krishnamurti /did not/
      deny the occurrence of all that happened in his Thosophy period. All that
      he said was: "that is not important." [A]

      Another thing that can be accurately said about "post-Theosophy"
      Krishnamurti is that he should not be taken as an authority and merely
      following him (as those who did in his "Order of the Star" odyssey) will
      not "set people free." [B]

      This break from Krishnamurti's "Theosophy" days is very clearly recorded in
      his "Truth is a Pathless Land", the spirit of which he echoed for the next
      many decades, right up to his death. For example, when I asked him what he
      meant by "observer is the observed", his reply was: "find out".
      Other than [A] and [B], all other conjectures about what "Theosophisy" and
      "Post-Theosophy" Krishnamurti are just that: conjectures.

      Did Pupul Jayakar and Mary Lutyens bring their own biases and conditioning
      to the book? In terms of their writing style, sure. As far as facts
      narrated in those books (excepting the last of the Lutyen book that was
      published after K's death), Krishnamurti was not only aware of what was
      written, he approved the publication thereof.

      Someone may not agree with what is written in those books: but that is an
      all together different matter.
      Hope this post helps in the largely conjectural debate that we saw on this
      forum recently (and one that keeps cropping up here from time to time)
      about what about K is authentic and what is not.

      Thanks for reading it.

      SP