RE: [bn-study] Re: A "UNITED ACTION" FOR OUR THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10 5:04 PM
      Tuesday, July 10, 2001

      Dear Gopi:

      No one is ever "alone." Thought reaches everywhere.

      Your review of the impact of Theosophy on India is as you say
      widespread and now almost unnoticed.

      Let me add that the actual change began with the arrival of Mme.
      Blavatsky ans Col. Olcott in India as a Committee delegated by
      resolution of the Original THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY established Nov.
      17th 1875 in New York. [ see Blavatsky COLLECTED WORKS Vol. 1,
      for details around pp. 115 - 135 ]

      They worked to reverse the trend of Western Education (that led
      to jobs with the Government) that had attracted young and
      intelligent Indians. In general at that time the Europeans,
      British especially looked down on all Indians as "an inferior
      race."

      The "T S Committee started to reverse this by pointing to the
      importance of the ancient philosophical and religious literature
      that India had (and still has). They demonstrated that the
      religious system of Christianity as it was put into practice then
      had little to recommend it. Whereas the Indian Philosophies had
      grand and world-wide logic, wisdom and importance.

      You can see this for yourself if you will read the CAVES AND
      JUNGLES OF HINDOOSTAN by H.P.Blavatsky and also go through the
      first 10 volumes of THE THEOSOPHIST.

      I would recommend this as a useful piece of work because it gives
      an historical perspective that is most important.

      Every student of H.P.Blavatsky has the opportunity of protesting
      if and when they notice (under their Karma) anything evilly said
      of H.P.Blavatsky or of theosophy or of the Mahatmas.

      I did not see this particular presentation.

      Best wishes,

      Dallas