KARMA and CYCLES

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 20, 2001
      Friday, April 20, 2001

      Dear G-------

      In framing talks, experience shows the chapters in the OCEAN OF
      THEOSOPHY are helpful (see Chapters 14 (Cycles ), and 11
      (Karma), and also Chapters 2 and 3 where the concept of the
      progressive evolution of Material Forms around a core of pure
      SPIRIT is developed. The 7 principles (or planes) bridge the gap
      between SPIRIT on one hand and PRIMORDIAL MATTER on the others.
      EVOLUTIONARY UNIT: A MONAD
      In the S.D., H.P.B. develops the concept of the individualized
      Monad -- each such being a "ray" from the original UNIVERSAL
      MONAD or ATMA / BUDDHI The concept is that these "monads"
      pervade all SPACE that is in manifestation (see S.D. I 289) at
      it is the evolution in and around the MONAD (Spirit/Matter) of
      other monads (which have lesser experience), but who desire to
      become of the same spiritual stature and ability as IT, manifest
      this, in their self-determined and self-devised efforts to
      improve morally and ethically -- in other words to humbly follow
      the LAWS OF NATURE and to spiritualize themselves.

      To do this they have to become WISE. And this requires study of
      the whole field of our universe, ourselves and our progress so
      far -- then the doors of opportunity, as described in the VOICE
      OF THE SILENCE are opened by us. We in fact, initiate ourselves.

      SPIRITUALITY -- HOW ATTAINED ?

      In other words the SPIRITUAL achievement of one series of
      evolutionary incarnations brings the HUMAN MONAD to the portals
      of the next state -- let us call it Adeptship. This is a state
      when the Form has so purified itself that it is incapable of
      doing evil or wrong, or harming anything.
      The whole of humanity is beginning this process (in ROUND 4,
      Globe "D," and we are now in the "5th RACE" at the beginning of
      the ascending arc (S.D. I 200). Since we are emerging from the
      state where KAMA (desire, emotion, passion) dominates, there is a
      great deal of resistance as old habits and desires will have to
      be modified. This changing and remodeling is described in a very
      interesting article titled THE ELIXIR OF LIFE by G. Mitford. It
      is reprinted in FIVE YEARS OF THEOSOPHY, p. 1. (Republished by
      THEOSOPHY COMPANY, Los Angeles .)

      We are still, as a RACE (as defined by H.P.B. in S.D. I 200)
      involved in KAMA, and with Manas (Mind) appearing on the scene
      (5th Race) we are extricating ourselves out of the influence of
      Kama (ignorance and foolishness) and learning the wisdom inherent
      in EVOLUTION as a SPIRITUAL PROCESS for ALL BEINGS. It is a
      universal process but most of all, it emphasizes the importance
      of right choices for humanity to make in its units and all
      together. Very often the tendency to independence and
      self-righteousness of Kama rebels

      Look at it this way ( In truth, the whole of the philosophy
      becomes involved in trying to explain these two: Cycles and
      Karma) -- also REINCARNATION is to be brought in, for the
      explanation of the way in which the Lower Self (Kama-Manas)
      evolves by voluntary choices (applied motives) into an
      independent and fully obedient higher Self -- a Self which we
      may call Budhi-Manas (the wise mind) that has chosen to be wholly
      obedient to the Laws of Nature and to its HIGHER SELF, named ATMA
      or the individualized "ray" of the Universal SELF This is at
      all time interior to us, not outside. If you wish it can be
      thought of as our inner God.

      In other words there is a return, full circle, back to the SOURCE
      of origin, PLUS all the experience earned. [ H.P.B. makes this
      clear in "ISIS UNVEILED and THE VISISHTADWAITA " in H.P.B.
      Articles, Vol. 3, p. 265; in BCW Vol. 7, p 50 ]
      Let us put this in a sequence:

      LAW -- UNIVERSAL and EXACT

      1. we are each of us (from the atom to the Man, and from the
      Earth to the uttermost limits of SPACE, under the patterns and
      laws of NATURE (or the SPIRITUAL UNIVERSE).
      These are called the Laws of ANALOGY and CORRESPONDENCE. They
      pervade all SPACE and affect all beings/forms.

      In the S.D., H.P.B. says that the first law in nature is
      uniformity in diversity, in other words, the total harmony of all
      discords. Nature is ultimately and totally sensitive to every
      one of its components, small or large and on many planes beyond
      as well as within the physical matter we know. (S.D. II 699)

      SOURCE AND ORIGIN OF ALL

      [NOTE: Our SINGLE SOURCE AND ORIGIN is the ABSOLUTE. It is
      indescribable in our terms.

      When this ABSOLUTE (the ETERNAL and indescribable BACKGROUND,
      under the great law of Cycles and Karma) has to MANIFEST, all the
      many forms and beings spring again into awareness, simultaneously
      over the whole field of manifestation. Those beings which went
      to "sleep" aeons ago awaken, and again the processes of Natural
      evolution start up from where they halted. (On p. 231 of the
      KEY, H.P.B. gives the 4 Golden Links of Theosophical doctrine:
      This: UNIVERSAL UNITY AND CAUSATION is the 1st "link.").. There
      is no physical BIG BANG as theorized by our speculative science,
      only a reawakening of THAT WHICH WAS, to a new "Day" of study and
      work. A fresh Manvantara.

      2. we, as "rays" of Universal ATMA, are CENTERS OF
      INTELLIGENCE and CONSCIOUSNESS, and are resident from time to
      time in bodies, forms, [ the actions of the FORM entails KARMA ]
      , and

      FREE-WILL

      3. our spiritual nature makes us free-willed.

      What we call CONSCIOUSNESS is a reflection into the FORM (as far
      as the form is able to accept this "reflection") of the one
      Spirit acting as MIND. (see GITA NOTES, pp. 98-100) It is also
      named BUDDHI, the vehicle of ATMA, and the eternal library of
      all our choices inscribed on the imperishable folios of AKASA.
      We thus have the compound Monad as ATMA-BUDDHI-MANAS in
      evolution.

      4. we can (as free-willed FORMS) make choices. This gives
      each of us (in humanity, where the Mind faculty is individualized
      as "Lower Manas") our moral sense of right and wrong. We find
      this is reinforced by the VOICE OF CONSCIENCE and the INTUITION
      which derive from Buddhi - the accumulated Wisdom of past
      experience.
      KARMA
      5. KARMA attaches itself to the forms according to the
      choice made and the strength of the impression that our MOTIVES
      make on each of them.

      6. As there are many forms operating at various levels of
      individual development (atoms molecules, cells, minerals, plants,
      animals, humans and kingdoms beyond the HUMAN), it is the
      aggregation of the "life-units" (MONADS) which invokes and
      attracts KARMA.

      CYCLES and TIME

      7. As Karma moves in cycles, so finite TIME is invoked.

      8. The periodicity of the cycles (TIME) is inherent in the
      impression imposed by our choices on the components of the forms
      we use. The individual Karma is then adjusted by Nature to the
      Karma of many surrounding centers of Life.

      9. In other words, the "skandhas," (little lives--monads)
      for which we are responsible as an "older brother," and which are
      attracted to us by affinity and earlier Karmic links, become the
      carriers of our Karma.

      CHOOSING -- FREE-WILL

      10. the broad basic field of choices is 1. according to
      LAW, and
      2. In
      disobedience to LAW.

      11. broadly, the obedience to law means we harmonize
      voluntarily, using our freedom of choice to act as a Spiritual
      being would. This results in charity, generosity, harmony and a
      brotherhood for all beings regardless of their evolutionary
      station. To do this, to act virtuously, we have to be wise.

      12. disobedience to Law means

      1. we know what the Law is
      2. We decide to break or distort or disobey it
      and our basis is the isolation of selfishness.
      3. we decide to act foolishly, viciously, or in
      ignorance of the Law.

      MOTIVE - GOOD / EVIL

      13. Whatever we choose, KARMA attaches itself to the MOTIVE
      (choice -- wisdom or ignorance) that underlies any action (acts
      may be: 1. desires, 2. thoughts, and 3. deeds)

      14. The KARMA of the FORM follows the choice made, and reacts
      on the compound consciousness that inheres in the form. The
      individual consciousness in every part of the living form is
      affected. Karma works in a similar way for humanity, involving
      those who are affected by any other individual's choices and
      actions. Thus we have family, community, national, racial and
      world Karma.
      There is a valuable article titled APHORISMS ON KARMA by Mr. Wm.
      Q. Judge available on-line through BLAVATSKY.NET It is
      worthwhile referring to it. In regard to cycles Mr. Judge wrote
      2 valuable articles: CYCLES and CYCLES AND CYCLIC LAW which will
      also be fund at the same on-line source.
      The value of these considerations is to assure one of the
      cohesive nature of Theosophical philosophy as well as the
      providing of a little of this will give the audience a sense of
      the living value of Theosophy as it relates to their own
      determination of their own future. Theosophy never proselytes.
      It offers facts and reasoning to be investigated, independently
      and deeply, by all.

      From all this, one realizes we are not trying to define either a
      "beginning" or an "ending." The process is eternal.
      The Teacher/pupil relationship is universal.
      Hence, the value of getting the doctrines of Theosophy clear in
      our minds so we can present them as simply as possible to others
      who need or ask for them. One ought always to invite inquirers
      to do their own research. Why should anyone rely on that which
      another offers.
      Proof, always, is interior to the student seeker.

      Best wishes,

      DTB
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 13, 2001
        Sunday, August 12, 2001

        Recently an inquiry about the relation of Cycles and Karma was asked.

        Here are some points Theosophy offers us to consider.

        CYCLES and KARMA

        The chapters in the OCEAN OF THEOSOPHY are helpful (see Chapters 14
        (Cycles ), and 11
        (Karma), and also Chapters 2 and 3 where the concept of the progressive
        evolution of Material Forms around a core of pure SPIRIT is developed. The
        7 principles (or planes) bridge the gap between SPIRIT on one hand and
        PRIMORDIAL MATTER on the others.

        EVOLUTIONARY UNIT: A MONAD

        In the S.D., H.P.B. develops the concept of the individualized Monad -- each
        such being a "ray" from the original UNIVERSAL MONAD or ATMA / BUDDHI

        It is important to understand the concept that "monads" pervade SPACE in
        manifestation (see S.D. I 289). Monads are eternal, living, Conscious units.
        Each represents in essence the entire potential of the WHOLE.

        MAN == A SELF-CONSCIOUS UNIT

        Man is a self-conscious Monad. Each human has passed through aeons of
        experience in all the kingdoms of Nature and has now reached the mid-point
        of his evolutionary journey. This mid-point marks the advent of the
        independent self-conscious Mind with which the human monad is endowed by
        more advanced Monads. With self-consciousness the power of choosing
        develops. Choice lies between lawful living and the breaking of Law. Karma
        ensues from all choices.

        Evolution of intelligence proceeds in and around the more advanced MONAD
        (Spirit/Matter) of other monads (which have lesser experience), but who by
        their inherent nature are destined to become of the same spiritual stature
        and ability as IT.

        In the human stage, this urge to progress manifest this by their
        self-determined and self-devised efforts to improve morally and ethically --
        in other words to learn, and to follow the LAWS OF NATURE and thus, to
        spiritualize themselves.

        This is the single great object of evolution. The process of evolution is
        demonstrated by the fact that the more advanced help VOLUNTARILY those who
        need advice and ask for it. Thus the eternal relation of Teacher and pupil
        is established and carried forward. [ See LETTERS THAT HAVE HELPED ME by W.
        Q. Judge, pp 49-51]. The last few pages of THE VOICE OF THE SILENCE ( pp.
        72-79) emphasize this aspect of voluntary evolution.

        To do this effectively the pupils have to become WISE, and have to practice
        wisdom in daily living. This requires a study of the whole field of our
        universe, of ourselves and our progress so far -- then the doors of
        opportunity, as described in The VOICE OF THE SILENCE are opened by us. We
        in fact, initiate ourselves. The Lower Self (Kama-Manas) invites and
        permits the Higher Self (Atma-Buddhi-Manas) to assist in this work of
        self-illumination in daily waking life.

        SPIRITUALITY -- HOW ATTAINED ?

        The SPIRITUAL achievement of a series of evolutionary incarnations brings
        the HUMAN MONAD to the portals of the next state -- one may call it
        Adeptship. This is a state when the Form has so purified itself
        intellectually and morally that it is incapable of doing evil or wrong, or
        harming anything.

        In The SECRET DOCTRINE we are told the whole of humanity has begun this
        process ( as a �race� we are in the middle Round: ROUND 4, Globe "D," and
        we are now in the "5th RACE" at the beginning of the ascending arc towards
        spirituality (S.D. I 200). Since we are emerging from the state where KAMA
        (desire, emotion, passion) dominates, there is a great deal of resistance as
        old habits and desires have to be modified. This changing and remodeling is
        described in a very
        interesting article titled THE ELIXIR OF LIFE by G. Mitford. [FIVE YEARS OF
        THEOSOPHY, p. 1]

        We are still in that period where two cycles of evolution overlap, and we
        continue to be involved in KAMA (desires and passions), and with MANAS
        (Mind) appearing on the scene we are extricating ourselves from the
        influence of Kama (ignorance and foolishness) and learning the wisdom that
        is inherent in EVOLUTION as a SPIRITUAL PROCESS for ALL BEINGS.

        It is a universal process but most of all, it emphasizes the importance of
        right choices for humanity to make in its units and all together. Very
        often the Kamic tendency to independence and lower
        self-righteousness rebels

        Looking at Theosophy from this perspective, we can see way the whole of the
        philosophy is involved in trying to explain the progress of the Monad
        through these two : Cycles and Karma. Reincarnation is the explanation of
        the way in which the Lower Self (Kama-Manas) evolves by voluntary choices
        its self-chosen applied motives) into an independent and fully obedient
        Higher Self -- a Self which we may designate Budhi-Manas (the wise mind).
        It is a mind that has investigated, tested and proved Nature�s laws. Then,
        it has chosen to be wholly obedient to those Laws of Nature and to its
        HIGHER SELF (ATMA) -- or the individualized "ray" of the Universal SELF
        This is at all time interior to us, not outside. If you wish it can be
        thought of as our inner God.

        In other words there is a return, full circle, back to the SOURCE of origin,
        PLUS all the experience earned. [ H.P.B. makes this clear in "ISIS UNVEILED
        and THE VISISHTADWAITA " in H.P.B.
        Articles, Vol. 3, p. 265; in BCW, Vol. 7, p 50 ]

        LAW -- UNIVERSAL and EXACT

        We are each of us (from the atom to the Man, and from the Earth to the
        uttermost limits of SPACE, under the patterns and laws of NATURE (or the
        SPIRITUAL UNIVERSE). These are called the Laws of ANALOGY and
        CORRESPONDENCE. They pervade all SPACE and affect all beings/forms.

        In The SECRET DOCTRINE , H.P.B. says that the first law in nature is
        uniformity in diversity, in other words, the total harmony of all discords.
        Nature is ultimately and totally sensitive to every
        one of its components, small or large and on many planes beyond as well as
        within the physical matter we know. (S.D. II 699)

        SOURCE AND ORIGIN OF ALL

        Our SINGLE SOURCE and the ORIGIN of ALL is the ABSOLUTE. It is
        indescribable in our terms. It is both IN Manifestation and OUT of
        Manifestation at the same time.

        When the ABSOLUTE (the ETERNAL and indescribable BACKGROUND, under the great
        law of Cycles and Karma) has to MANIFEST, all the many forms and beings
        spring again into awareness, simultaneously over the whole field of SPACE
        that is involved in this re-manifestation. Those beings which went to
        "sleep" aeons ago awaken, and again the processes of Natural evolution start
        up from where they halted.

        In The VOICE OF THE SILENCE. H. P. Blavatsky, commences:

        �These instructions are for those ignorant of the dangers of the lower
        Iddhi.

        He who would hear the voice of Nada and comprehend it, he has to learn the
        nature of Dharana.�

        Seeking to understand the student discovers the �lower Iddhi� to be the
        invisible powers of Nature and of Man. They are the lower, coarse, psychic
        and mental energies. In contrast to those are the spiritual, noble,
        virtuous and universal powers embodied in the Higher Ego
        (Atma-Buddhi-Manas).

        The �voice of Nada� `is commented on by Mr. Judge in his article AUM (PATH
        1, p. 1; W Q J Articles, Vol. I, p. 561) There he speaks of Nada Brahma
        (the divine resonance) -- it is the first SOUND, a single homogeneous
        resonance, that, pervading the whole universe, acts as the awakener, or
        vivifying power stirring all the molecules into action. It is represented
        in all languages by the vowel �A� which takes precedence over all others.
        This is the �word,� the �Verbum, the �Logos.� This is creation, for without
        this resonance or motion among the quiescent particles, there would be no
        visible universe. We may compare this ancient concept with the findings of
        modern astro-physicists, who examining the complete electro-magnetic
        spectrum discovered a universally present �hiss.� This �hiss� has a
        definite frequency, and seeking for its source, they concluded that in
        theory and persistence it most probably represented the continuing echo of
        the �Big Bang� whereby the Universe came into objective activity.

        On p. 231 of the KEY TO THEOSOPHY, H.P.B. gives the 4 Golden Links of
        Theosophical doctrine: UNIVERSAL UNITY AND CAUSATION is the 1st "link.".
        There is in Theosophical metaphysics, no physical BIG BANG as theorized by
        speculative science, only a simultaneous reawakening from a period of
        universal rest (Pralaya) of THAT WHICH WAS, to a new "Day" of study and
        evolutionary work. A fresh Manvantara of experience under Karma (individual
        and collective) begins..

        Theosophy considers that all humans embody a "ray" of the Universal SPIRIT,
        the ATMA, are CENTERS OF INTELLIGENCE and CONSCIOUSNESS, and are resident
        from time to time in bodies, forms, [ the actions of the FORM entails
        KARMA ], and FREE-WILL

        Our spiritual nature makes us free-willed. We always choose our future.

        What we call CONSCIOUSNESS is a reflection into the FORM (as far as the form
        is able to accept this "reflection") of the one Spirit acting as MIND. (see
        GITA NOTES, pp. 98-100) It is also
        named BUDDHI, (or Mulaprakriti -- �primordial matter�) and is the vehicle
        of ATMA. It also serves as the eternal library of all our past choices
        inscribed on the imperishable folios of divine �ether� called Akasa -- it is
        the imperishable record of Karma -- our Karma -- and that of the rest of the
        world and universe -- since we cannot be separated or isolated from one
        another we forever share in each other, so the concept of Universal
        brotherhood as an attitude to adopt and practice voluntarily is advanced.
        We thus perceive that in evolution we have a compound Monad of
        ATMA-BUDDHI-MANAS totally intertwined in evolution. [ The Secret Doctrine I
        181 ]

        As a Unit of Consciousness embodied in a FORM, we make choices by our own
        free-will. This gives each of us (in humanity, where the Mind (MANAS)
        faculty is individualized as "Lower Manas") our keen and ever-present moral
        sense of right and wrong. We find this is reinforced by the VOICE OF
        CONSCIENCE and the INTUITION which are directly derived from Buddhi - the
        accumulated Wisdom of past experience. Buddhi is also named Mulaprakriti --
        the �root� of Matter Made Pure. It serves as the eternal vehicle for ATMA
        the spirit. In fact it is simply another aspect of Spirit. [GITA NOTES,
        pp. 132-3]

        KARMA

        KARMA attaches itself to the forms (Monads of lesser experience), and the
        strength of the impression that our MOTIVES leaves a quantitative mark on
        each of them.

        As there are many forms operating at various levels of individual
        development (which we may itemize as the form-side of nature to be found in
        atoms, molecules, cells, minerals, plants, animals, humans and kingdoms
        beyond the HUMAN), it is the aggregation of the "life-units" (MONADS) which
        invokes and attracts KARMA to the �form� that served to generate it.

        CYCLES and TIME

        Karma moves in cycles, so finite TIME is invoked.

        The periodicity of the cycles (TIME) is inherent in the impression imposed
        by our choices on the components of the forms we use. The individual Karma
        is then adjusted by Nature to the Karma of many surrounding centers of Life.

        In other words, the "skandhas," (little lives--monads) for which we are
        responsible as an "older brother," and which are attracted to us by affinity
        and earlier Karmic links, become the carriers of our Karma.

        CHOOSING -- FREE-WILL

        We may consider that there exists a broad basic field of choices. These
        are:

        1. according to LAW, and

        2. In disobedience to LAW.

        Obedience to law means we harmonize voluntarily, using our freedom of choice
        to act as a Spiritual
        being would. This results in charity, generosity, harmony and a brotherhood
        for all beings regardless of their evolutionary station. To do this, to act
        virtuously, we have to be wise.

        Disobedience to Law means

        1. we know what the Law is,

        2. We decide to break or distort or disobey it and our basis
        is the isolation of selfishness.

        3. we decide to act foolishly, viciously, or in ignorance of
        the Law.

        MOTIVE - GOOD / EVIL

        Whatever we choose, KARMA attaches itself to the MOTIVE (choice -- wisdom or
        ignorance) that underlies any action (acts may be: 1. desires, 2.
        thoughts, and 3. deeds and words.)

        The KARMA of the FORM follows the choice made, and reacts on the compound
        consciousness that inheres in the form. The individual consciousness in
        every part of the living form is affected.

        Karma works in a similar way for humanity, involving those who are affected
        by any other individual's choices and actions. Thus we have family,
        community, national, racial and
        world Karma.

        There is a valuable article titled APHORISMS ON KARMA by Mr. Wm. Q. Judge
        available in print. It is worthwhile referring to it.

        In regard to cycles Mr. Judge wrote two valuable articles: CYCLES and
        CYCLES AND CYCLIC LAW which will be found in W. Q. Judge Articles, Vol. I,
        pp. 186, and 58.

        The value of these considerations is to assure one of the cohesive nature of
        Theosophical philosophy as well as the providing of a little of this will
        give the audience a sense of the living value of Theosophy as it relates to
        their own determination of their own future. Theosophy never proselytes.
        It offers facts and reasoning to be investigated, independently and deeply,
        by all.

        From all this, one realizes we are not trying to define either a "beginning"
        or an "ending." The process of �becoming� is an eternal one. There will
        forever be a teacher/pupil relationship as evolution eternally proceeds.

        The Teacher/pupil relationship is universal. Hence, the value of getting
        the doctrines of Theosophy clear in our minds so we can present them as
        simply as possible to others who need or ask for them. One ought always to
        invite inquirers to do their own research. Why should anyone rely on that
        which another offers. Proof, always, is interior to the student seeker.

        Offered by DTB