HPB on "thin oblong squares" as found in the original edition of THE VOICE

    Message 1 of 7 , May 6, 2003
      Wes recently wrote on this forum:

      ". . . when Judge reprinted 'The Voice of the Silence' in New York in
      1893, he did some minor editing and rearranged the footnotes to
      appear on the text pages instead of at the back of the book. So, when
      The Theosophy Company went to re-publish the Voice, there were two
      editions to choose from: Blavatsky's and Judge's. Which one should we
      have published? HPB's 'original' text, or Judge's edition which was a
      bit easier to use? The Theosophy Company editors apparently decided
      to use Judge's, relying on his known skill as an editor."

      But compare the above with what Dallas wrote previously on this forum:

      "In U.L.T. I don't have t[o] worry -- the originals are available on
      a reliable basis. . . . Personally I would rather deal with
      H.P.Blavatsky's 'mistakes' than with those created by others who have
      had the temerity to believe they knew better than she did, and had
      the audacity to introduce changes which she did not authorize. Strong
      language, but true if it is applicable."

      A detailed example of the "minor(?) editing" Judge did can be found
      in the following article:

      "Thin Oblong Squares" pp. 1-4
      http://www.teosofia.com/Docs/vol-2-10.pdf

      As the writer observes later in the same article:

      "Clearly then, this is no mistake [by HPB], no idle phrase or term
      that HPB is using in the Voice. So again, one might ask why [did
      Judge] change it in the Voice Of The Silence, why [did he] remove the
      word 'squares' to leave the phrase 'thin oblongs'?"

      To paraphrase Dallas' "strong language," did Judge have the temerity
      to believe he knew better than she did? Did he have the audacity to
      introduce changes which she did not authorize?

      Probably, when Dallas was using his "strong language", he was
      referring to Besant, Mead or de Zirkoff and their "editing" of
      H.P.B.'s writings. But what's good for the goose is good for the
      gander, right?

      It would appear from the article that H.P. Blavatsky knew exactly
      what she was doing when she wrote "thin oblong squares."

      In this instance Judge's "minor editing" created a new mistake; it
      was not a mistake by HPB!

      Daniel H. Caldwell
      BLAVATSKY STUDY CENTER/BLAVATSKY ARCHIVES
      http://blavatskyarchives.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8 4:02 PM
        See:

        http://www.theos-talk.com/archives/200305/tt00044.html

        for more comments on the editing of the
        Theosophy Company's edition of THE VOICE OF THE
        SILENCE.

        Daniel
        http://blavatskyarchives.com
      • Vladimir
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9 12:10 AM
          Saturday, April 9, 2005, 3:02:39 AM, Daniel wrote:

          > See:
          > http://www.theos-talk.com/archives/200305/tt00044.html
          > for more comments on the editing of the
          > Theosophy Company's edition of THE VOICE OF THE
          > SILENCE.

          Daniel, do you know if "The Key to Theosophy", "The Secret Doctrine"
          and "Isis Unveiled" reprinted by the ULT have any discrepancies from
          the originals? These are claimed to be facsimiles. Are they indeed?

          Best regards,
          Vladimir
        • M. Sufilight
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9 2:01 AM
            I think, that the original cover of "The Secret Doctrine" has been changed a
            bit.
            The proces of printing the book is also different. The paper used as pages
            is - as far as I know - also of a different kind.

            M. Sufilight

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9 7:26 AM
              Vladimir,

              You wrote:

              "Daniel, do you know if 'The Key to Theosophy',
              'The Secret Doctrine' and 'Isis Unveiled' reprinted
              by the ULT have any discrepancies from the originals?
              These are claimed to be facsimiles. Are they indeed?"

              AFAIK, these three reprints are photographic
              facsimiles of the originals.

              Daniel
              http://blavatskyarchives.com