Nature of Love

  • Zack Lansdowne
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 20, 2003
      Nick Weeks wrote:

      > "Can one think, discern, discriminate and still love only? Of course!"

      And, of course, I agree!

      My favorite HPB book is The Voice of the Silence (VS), but I haven't found
      any commentary on it. Can anyone suggest a good commentary? So, my remarks
      that follow represent my own thinking.

      There is a section in VS that describes the "seven portals" and refers to
      the "sevenfold Path." My interpretation is that the spiritual journey can
      be characterized as a sevenfold Path and the seven portals represent the
      seven chakras. HPB's description in VS for each portal provides the key for
      mastering the corresponding stage on the spiritual journey and awakening the
      corresponding chakra.

      With the regard to the third portal, the VS states:

      "For as the lingering sunbeam, that on the top of some tall mountain shines,
      is followed by black night when out it fades, so is heart-light. When out
      it goes, a dark and threatening shade will fall from thine own heart upon
      the path, and root thy feet in terror to the spot. Beware, disciple, of
      that lethal shade."

      My interpretation is that the third portal is the heart charka, and
      "heart-light" is the same as what other writers have called universal love,
      Christ spirit, spiritual love, etc. When we experience the "heart-light" it
      elevates our consciousness ("top of some tall mountain") and we see and
      respond to life in a new way. But when it goes out, it is though we never
      had the experience and forget that such an experience is even possible. The
      discipline for evoking the "heart-light" is not available to everyone: it
      is for those who have reached the third stage of the spiritual journey by
      having mastered the first two stages. The discipline for evoking the
      "heart-light" is not the final step, because there are still four other
      stages that remain on the seven-fold journey.

      How does one evoke the "heart-light"? VS provides the following answer:

      "No light that shines from Spirit can dispel the darkness of the nether
      soul, unless all selfish thought has fled therefrom, and that the pilgrim
      saith: 'I have renounced this passing flame; I have destroyed the cause: the
      shadows cast can, as effects, no longer be.'"

      These passages are symbolic, and so there is value in reading what other
      people may wish to say concerning the process for evoking universal or
      spiritual love.

      Zack Lansdowne
    • Zack Lansdowne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 21, 2003
        Nicholas Weeks wrote:

        > Chakras eh? Why am I not surprised? But if that is the way you see it -
        so
        > be it.
        >
        > However, HPB & her Gurus taught very little about such matters; except to
        warn
        > of their dangers. In fact she mentioned in the Esoteric Section teachings
        > that the blessed Masters have regard for "only such as square their
        BEHAVIOR
        > with the rules hinted at... in the 2nd & 3rd Treatises." of the Voice.
        (my
        > emphasis)

        Are you familiar with James M. Pryse? He worked closedly with HPB, and my
        understanding (I could be wrong) is that Pryse served as HPB's personal
        secretary. For a photo showing Pryse with HPB, see
        http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/hpbphotos29.htm
        HPB's Collected Writings, vol. 12, describe James Pryse as: "Outstanding
        Theosophical worker and writer.... a man of great probity and of unselfish
        devotion to the principles of Theosophy and the objectives of our Movement."

        Pryse's book, "The Apocalypse Unsealed," is an extensive treatise on the
        chakras, in the context of interpreting the symbols of the Book of
        Revelation (the last book in the Christian Bible). For example, Pryse
        writes: "As it [the latent Kundalini] passes from one ganglion to another
        its voltage is raised, the ganglia being like so many electric cells coupled
        for intensity; and moreover in each ganglion, or chakra, it liberates and
        partakes of the quality peculiar to that centre, and it is then said to
        'conquer' the chakra." So, at least one close associate of HPB has written
        extensively on the chakras.

        In my opinion, there is a passage in HPB's Voice of the Silence that gives
        instruction concerning the chakras: "Let the fiery power retire into the
        inmost
        chamber, the chamber of the Heart.... Then from the heart that Power shall
        rise into the sixth, the middle
        region, the place between thine eyes." Compare that quotation with the
        following quotation from Bailey (Discipleship in New Age, vol. II), who says
        that meditation has "the stage of raising the energy of the heart centre
        into the head centre." One can also find similar instruction regarding the
        chakras in Sri Aurobindo's writings.

        Zack Lansdowne
      • Zack Lansdowne
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 22, 2003
          Nicholas Weeks wrote:

          <"The chakras are effects not causes. Keep your consciousness noble or
          <selflessless as best you can and the chakras will take care of themselves."

          <"Yes, I am aware of the few lines on kundalini in HPB's corpus, which is
          why I
          <said she & her Gurus wrote "very little" on the subject. If their
          emphasis
          <was not on kundalini & chakras, but on virtue for its own sake, selfless
          <behavior etc.; then I take that very emphasis as an important teaching in
          <itself."

          I agree with what you have written. In my view, HPB has taken the "middle
          path."

          On one extreme are teachings, such as Tantra and Kundalini Yoga, that
          encourage direct work on the chakras. Many writers, however, warn that
          awakening kundalini prematurely, without adequate preparation, could damage
          the physical body, emotional body, and nervous systems. For example, Swami
          Rama, in White (ed.), Kundalini, advises: "To genuinely awaken kundalini,
          one must first prepare oneself. Without long and patient practice in
          purifying oneself and strengthening one's capacity to tolerate and
          assimilate such a flood of energy, the awakening of this latent power would
          deeply disturb, disorient, and confuse the student. Even at the physical
          level such a charge of energy can threaten the integrity of the body."

          On the other extreme are teachings, such as Krishnamurti's, which do not
          mention the chakras at all. These teachings, however, do not provide any
          confirmation, guidance, or explanation for people who are ready to work with
          the chakras or who are having experiences with kundalini.

          The "middle path" is the approach of presenting information on the chakras
          but in a veiled, symbolic way, so that the instruction would be available
          for only those who developed their intuitive faculty and could thereby
          discern it. In my view, this is the approach that HPB took in The Voice of
          the Silence and it is also the approach taken by the Apostle John in the
          Book of Revelation. Regarding the Book of Revelation, HPB (Isis Unveiled,
          vol. II) wrote : "The fact is . . . the whole Revelation, is simply an
          allegorical narrative of the Mysteries and initiation therein of a
          candidate, who is John himself." In fact, James Pryse, HPB's close
          associate, in The Apocalypse Unsealed, interpreted the symbols of the Book
          of Revelation in terms of the chakras. In my view, it is possible to
          correlate significant passages in The Voice of the Silence with
          corresponding passages in the Book of Revelation.

          Zack Lansdowne