Practical Occultism

  • Phillip Lindsay <phillip@esotericastrolo
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2003
      "The age-old method of arriving at truth by the process of accepting
      new authorities and comparing them with previously established
      doctrines, while of undoubted value in the training of the mind, is
      gradually being transcended. In its place is emerging in both the
      religious and philosophical worlds a new capacity to take a more
      scientific position. Spiritual teaching will be increasingly
      accepted as an hypothesis to be proved less by scholasticism,
      historical foundation and authority, and more by the results of its
      effect upon the life lived and its practical usefulness in solving
      the problems of humanity. Heretofore, advanced esoteric teaching has
      almost invariably been obtainable only by the student's acceptance
      of the authority of the teacher, varying degrees of personal
      obedience to that teacher and pledges of secrecy. As the new
      Aquarian dispensation progresses these limitations will
      disappear..."

      If we really reflect deeply on what is said above, there may be an
      understanding as to the different approaches of esoteric students
      today.

      The phrases, "accepting new authorities and comparing them with
      previously established doctrines, while of undoubted value in the
      training of the mind, is gradually being transcended",
      and "Spiritual teaching will be increasingly accepted as an
      hypothesis to be proved less by scholasticism, historical foundation
      and authority", are interesting to note.

      The first thing that several theosophists have demanded from me on
      this forum: where is your documentary evidence?, whose authority?,
      and descriptions to the effect that such and such has done 20 years
      comparative study and found `contradictions' and `differences' - of
      course you have.

      I concur that this is the old approach and to which many
      theosophists still adhere. I think it is important and useful as the
      above quote states, to adopt this approach. But because it demands
      such concrete and rigid criteria, and seems with some so unalloyed
      with balanced intuition, there is an immediate default to the lower
      mind, like fast drying concrete. Very dry, and with not much heart.
      Tedious, tedium ad nauseum – not much Te Deum.

      So, although I have tried to comply with demands from some of the
      inquisitive, (inquisitors?) I do not want to play that game, and
      will respond as I see fit. Better to aspire toward:

      "Spiritual teaching will be increasingly accepted as an hypothesis
      to be proved less by scholasticism, historical foundation and
      authority, and more by the results of its effect upon the life lived
      and its practical usefulness in solving the problems of humanity."
      This may bear some reflection for some of you chained Prometheus-
      like to your laptops day in and day out. There is another world out
      there. The irony is that many well-intentioned aspirants' protection
      of the hallowed holy grail of theosophy is actually strangling it.

      P.

      PS - the quote is from the foreward to Cosmic Fire by Foster Bailey.