RE: Theos-World RE: Is Blavatsky time-appropriate?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2003
      Jan 10 2003

      Dear Friend:

      Thank you for your candor. I do not aim to teach.

      I aim to present some Theosophical tenets and basic ideas before you,
      and others, for consideration.

      I recognize there are many points of view, but basically there are
      two: One of the spiritual continuum, which includes us all. and 2,
      of the personality which in its isolation tries to secrete and store
      anything it secures of information. Since its basis is this one life,
      everything is viewed from that stand point.

      My question (to myself and others) has always been: is the second
      true?

      One factor I do recognize is that I do have "likes and dislikes." But
      they do not rule me. I rule them. They are only feelings and without
      the cooperation of the mind they have no tenure.

      As a mind-man I therefore determine the validity of any "feeling."

      I cannot determine if eternity and infinity are synchronous. Bot
      indicate illimitability in terms of time, space, substance and energy.
      Since everything else has a set of limitations within illimitability I
      would say it has a finitude -- a determinable beginning and end.

      Oscillation or motion in the abstract appears to be of many
      magnitudes, but if one desires to admit this then one can only say
      that LAW rules -- the alternative is CHAOS -- and the presence of
      self-consciousness would appear to nullify this latter state.

      The source or causation of self-consciousness is something I cannot
      secure. Yet I am.

      What I asked previously is about the way in which nonmaterial
      (energic) thoughts could affect or imprint themselves as actions on
      matter. How do my choices work into actual controlled actions.

      I most certainly agree with you. There probably is "mind-matter,"
      image-formed by thought. Our desires and feelings likewise probably
      have a form of substance of their own, and according to theosophy both
      mind and feeling images are imprinted on a portion of the continuum
      called the "astral light" (or AKASA) -- from which they can be
      recalled for review.

      Somehow the "faith" of any one is limited or motivated by the desire
      for some benefit that is personal. If there is a general, a
      universal, an impartial desire for "good to all," then the generosity
      of such a feeling ought to be conceivable and understandable. For the
      first kind there are limits, and for the second, there is only a
      continued hope -- but isn't it a grand one?

      As usual the main question for us is: What is true? What has
      persistence? In the long run what will emerge ? Is there a
      relationship between that which is called spiritual and ethics?

      Thanks and best wishes, and feel better.

      Dal