RE:Thoughts/Feelings

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2003
      Jan 9 2003

      Dear M:

      As I understand it the "6th principle" is BUDDHI. It is UNIVERSAL
      WISDOM and not a place or a plane. Hence one cannot "reside" in it
      unless we broaden the word Reside" and imply that all beings have a
      permanent connection in and through wisdom-BUDDHI, and hence with
      KARMA-LAW.

      Let me show you here a short article on the subject:

      THE SEVENFOLD DIVISION

      WHY NOT CHANGE THE DESIGNATION?

      MR. Sinnett's book Esoteric Buddhism has done a great deal towards
      bringing before the West the Eastern philosophy regarding man and his
      constitution, but it has also served to perpetuate the use of a word
      that is misleading and incorrect. [PARA]In that work on p. 61 he
      states, "Seven distinct principles are recognized by Esoteric Science
      as entering into the constitution of man," and then gives his scheme
      of division thus, The body, Vitality, Astral Body, Animal Soul, Human
      Soul, Spiritual Soul, and seventh, Spirit or Atma. [PARA]Now if Spirit
      be, as the whole philosophy declares, in all and through all, it is
      erroneous to call it one of the series. This very early led to the
      accusation that we believed in seven distinct spirits in man. It
      always leads to misconception, and directly tends to preventing our
      understanding fully that the Atma includes, and is the substratum of,
      all the others. [PARA]In India it caused a protracted and, at times,
      heated discussion between the adherents of the rigid seven-fold
      classification of Esoteric Buddhism and several learned and unlearned
      Hindus who supported a four-fold or five-fold division. [S D I
      157-8] [PARA]During that debate the chief Hindu controverter [ Mr.
      Subba Row], while holding to a different system, admitted the
      existence of "a real esoteric seven-fold classification," which of
      course cannot be given to the public. Mr. Sinnett also evidently made
      a mistake when he said that the first mentioned division is the
      esoteric one.[NL][NL]Now it would seem that many of these
      misconceptions and differences could be prevented if a word were
      adopted and invariably used that would clearly express the idea
      intended to be conveyed. As the prime declaration of theosophy is that
      all these so-called bodies and appearances are for the purpose of
      enabling the ONE--the Atma--to fully comprehend nature and "bring
      about the aim of the soul," why not denominate all that it uses for
      that purpose as vehicles? [PARA]This name is strictly in accord with
      all parts of the philosophy. It is in effect the same as Upadhi, or
      basis, foundation, carrier. By its use we make no error when we say
      that theosophy declares there is Atma, which works with and through
      six vehicles. Strictly, the body is a vehicle for the astral body, it
      for the next, and so on up to Atma, which is therefore seen to be all
      and in all, as is clearly declared in Bhagavad-Gita.[PARA]This change,
      or to some other than "principles," should be adopted by all
      theosophists, for every day there is more inquiry by new minds, and
      theosophists themselves, indeed, need to use their words with care
      when dealing with such subjects. [PARA][PARA]Or if greater clearness
      is desired, let us say that there is one principle which acts through
      six vehicles. The scheme will then stand thus:[PARA][PARA]Atma
      (spirit), one principle, indivisible[PARA]Its vehicles are:[PARA]
      Buddhi................................................................
      ............. Spiritual Soul

      Manas.................................................................
      ............ Human Soul
      Kama
      Rupa..................................................................
      ... Animal Soul
      Linga
      Sharira...............................................................
      .. Astral Body
      Prana or
      Jiva.................................................................
      Vitality

      Rupa..................................................................
      .............. The Body
      [NL]Names have power, and if we go on talking of 7 principles when in
      truth there is but one, we are continually clouding our conception of
      theosophic truth.[PARA]EUSEBIO URBAN[NL]Path, April, 1890[PARA][PARA]

      =============================

      I hope this will prove to be helpful.

      In manifestation the ONE SPIRIT splits itself up into an infinity of
      bi-polar Monads (ATMA-BUDDHI).

      As pure consciousness cannot perceive the 'subjective" Matter. an
      intermediate factor, or an interpreter is needed. This is the
      UNIVERSAL MIND (Mahat, Manas) Thus in evolution the Monad is
      actually a THREE-IN-ONE. ATMA-BUDDHI-MANAS. This is the Spiritual
      Individuality that never dies. [ see S D I 181-2, 199-205,
      242-248 ]

      Best wishes,

      Dal