61771TS - Adyar - Geoffrey Hodson's Comments

  • .:.MKR777
    Apr 3, 2014
      We have seen varied views of Adyar from many members – high and low, especially since the 2008 election. Some view it as a sentimental and nominal place and some justify why the International President can live and work from anywhere in the Universe in today’s world where one can speak and video conference with ease.

      All Presidents from Olcott onwards lived and worked and died (except CJ who died in the USA) at Adyar even though any of them could have had better physical comfort living at other places or even other countries.

      A member recently mentioned that many of us seem to forget or belittle the importance of the inner side of things. Since most of us do not have the psychic sight, we have to depend on those who do have them. Geoffrey Hodson was a well known theosophist whose psychic capabilities are well known. Quoted at the bottom is his description of Adyar.

      He comments to be noted is the following:

      Theosophical movement is Adept founded, Adept inspired, Adept vivified, but not Adept directed. The direction is human. Human, therefore are the errors and the limitations of the Movement.

      When you see what is currently going on in the Election and the stance of the GC members, the errors and limitations due to human direction are obvious.

      Enjoy Hodson’s comments which puts Adyar in correct perspective.

      +++++++
      Adyar, the Masters’ Home

      Of Adyar what shall I say, as it is so well known to Theosophists? Olcott Bungalow, in which I live and where, the School of the Wisdom meets, is a lovely two-storeyed house near to the sea. One gets any breeze there may be and the temperature there is generally five degrees lower than in other parts of the compound. Practically all the year round, Adyar is a blaze of colour. The flowering trees, shrubs and plants are in full bloom, adding their glory and beauty to the inner power and the Presences which undoubtedly are here. On the roof at Headquarters there is a framed card on which is written; 'Work for Adyar; the Masters' Home'; and I often find myself wondering what exactly is meant by the second phrase. Of course, Adyar is not the Masters' home in the accepted sense of the word. They do not live here physically, but one does not have to be here very long before one discovers that there are two Adyars, the outer, physical Adyar, and its extensions — the fourth-dimensional Adyar, if you like — and the latter is the Masters' home. Their Power and Their Blessing are noticeably both present and radiating upon the world. Our Movement is, I personally believe, Adept founded, Adept inspired, Adept vivified, but not Adept directed. The direction is human. Human, therefore are the errors and the limitations of the Movement. The inspiration and the wisdom, I feel, come from on high. We know that a number of the Great Ones assisted at the founding of the Theosophical Society and visited Adyar in both Their physical and superphysical bodies. The original portraits painted by Schmiechen are here as channels for Their power and Their magnetism.
      ++++++