61579Criticism is the sole salvation from intellectual stagnation

  • Morten Nymann Olesen
    Mar 5, 2014
      Dear friends

      My views are:

      I sometimes wonder why the members of the Theosophical Society disagree so much?
      Now it seems that the members of the General Counsil of the Theosophical Society are being given huge criticism, or, at least some criticism by some of the members.
      (How many all in all? Only 20? Or more?) . And there are no doubt a great amount of well meant criticism involved.  - And others who are not members might have another agenda.

      And H. P. Blavatsky wrote:
      "Criticism is the sole salvation from intellectual stagnation."
      "Some philosopher compared knowledge to a ladder, the top of which was more easily reached by a man unencumbered by heavy luggage, than by him who has to drag along an enormous bale of old conventionalities, faded out and dried. Moreover, such a one must look back every moment, for fear of losing some of his fossils. Some philosopher compared knowledge to a ladder, the top of which was more easily reached by a man unencumbered by heavy luggage, than by him who has to drag along an enormous bale of old conventionalities, faded out and dried. Moreover, such a one must look back every moment, for fear of losing some of his fossils. "
      "What between “authorities,” their fear of, and wrath at the slightest criticism—each and all of them demanding to be regarded as infallible in their respective departments—the world threatens to fossilize in its old prejudices and routine."
      "But the true Philosopher, however “unpopular,” seeks to grasp the actual life, which, springing fresh from the inner source of Being, the rock of truth, is ever moving onward. He feels equal contempt for all the little puddles that stagnate lazily on the flat and marshy fields of social life.
      H. P. B."
      ((( BCW; XIII, p. 244-247.)))

      http://www.katinkahesselink.net/blavatsky/articles/v13/ph_008.htm

      _______

      WHY WE DISAGREE, Swami Vivekananda
      The below text illustrates one of the reasons why we disagree so much.

      The Parliament of the World's Religions
      Swami Vivekananda Chicago Speech Why we disagree
      AN EXCERPT:
      "I am a Hindu. I am sitting in my own little well and thinking that the whole world is my little well. The Christian sits in his little well and thinks the whole world is his well. The Mohammedan sits in his little well and thinks that is the whole world. I have to thank you of America for the great attempt you are making to break down the barriers of this little world of ours, and hope that, in the future, the Lord will help you to accomplish your purpose."
      http://www.vivekananda.net/booksbyswami/completeworks/2_WhyWeDisagree.html

      And I am a Theosophical seeker sitting in my little Well. And you are sitting in your well.....Very very well....
      What are you going to do about it? Are you lazy like a little puddle mentioned by Blavatsky?

      I seek to be humble. Because I do not claim myself infallible, and, I might speak too much, or keep too much silent.
      And if one of my fellow human beings is in doubt about the latter, then I always encourage the individual to speak out.
      If it is the other way around then I encourage the opposite..... Or perhaps not....Smile....There seems sometimes to exceptions to some rules.
      ________

      The Elephant and Blind Men Parable

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JseHDbrm6Lc

      _______

      Hundreds of Quotes and Sayings on being SILENT:
      "Nothing strengthens authority so much as silence."
      ― Leonardo da Vinci
      ---
      "Be silent or let thy words be worth more than silence."
      ― Pythagoras
      ---
      "It is not easy to keep silent when silence is a lie."
      ― Victor Hugo
      ---
      "Your very silence shows you agree."
      ― Euripides
      ---
      "Silence at the proper season is wisdom, and better than any speech."
      ― Plutarch
      ---
      "You are my only friend in the world, and I want to talk to you. Or, perhaps, be silent with you."
      ― G.K. Chesterton, The Best of Father Brown
      ---
      "Do not take someone's silence as his pride, perhaps he is busy fighting with his self"
      ― Ali Ibn Abi Taleb
      ----
      "Tut, tut! I have often admonished my pupils to count ten before speaking. Were I you, Mr. Philander, I should count at least a thousand, and then maintain a discreet silence."
      ― Edgar Rice Burroughs, Tarzan of the Apes
      http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/silence

      The theosphical Masters remain silent very much, it seems, and, only break it seldom and then first after several centuries. Some theospohical Seekers might have reached the conclusion that they will seek to copy them.

      Some keep silent to learn other seekers not to be annoyed by their silence, so, that they learn a valuable lesson of being calm.
      But those who are destroying a kettle because it boils over, and, then come to me and complain about it afterwards, when they were warned in advance - what can I do about them?

      ___
      A joke:
      There is a rumour about a new and fast spreading New Age group, which has it that Silence is the fastest journey to Moksha.
      Their motto is: Only ignorants speak, this is the Truth. The group have the agenda of taking over other religious organizations and other organizations, by silencing everyone.
      They claim that they got their religion from the Masters who were silent. ...Smile....

      Just a few well meant views seeking to help us all. I do hope that some of it was useful.

      M. Sufilight