57872Olcott Memorial School

  • MKR
    May 2, 2012
      As we all are aware of the discussions about Krishnamurti School vacating
      Damodar Gardens to make room for expansion of Olcott Memorial School.

      Tuition at K School is very expensive and hence only fat cats can afford to
      send their kids. So the decision of TS to make them move is the right thing
      to do.

      I just read the statement of Olcott when he started the school for
      panchamas or untouchables.

      'He founded schools for the outcastes in South India. Colonel Olcott
      stipulated that no school
      fees should be charged; that the school hours were to be convenient for the
      occupations of the
      domestic servants and others who might seek education; that no Christian or
      other proselytism
      was to be permitted; Tamil (reading, writing and correct spelling) as well
      as arithmetic, English
      speaking and Hindustani speaking were to be taught.'

      I also want to point out his emphasis on Hindustani. Today it is the most
      widely used language across India and ability to use it is invaluable.

      MKR