5133Re: The Importance of Going to the Primary Sources: An Example

  • danielhcaldwell
    Feb 6, 2002
      Brigitte, I have had a copy of the Deveney pamphlet since the year it
      was first published. At the time of publication I wrote to a number
      of Blavatsky students recommending that they read it. Also in past
      years I have had several phone conversations with Blavatsky students
      on some of Deveney's claims, etc. etc.

      Now returning to the issue concerning the quote.

      Brigitte, you wrote (I assume you were the one writing!)---

      > In the "Religio-Philosophical Journal 22/20, May 19, 1877:p. 4,
      > Blavatsky WROTE that the separation of soul and body is "one of
      > the
      > last and very highest achievements of magic."

      Now you write ". . . 'Blavatsky' claims. . . " in "an interview".

      So are you now saying that Blavatsky did NOT write what you said she
      did? And she did NOT write it in the RPJ for May 19, 1877?

      No, I am not "again" trying to misconstrue what Deveney is pointing
      out.

      And no, I will NOT scan this whole page 17 of Deveney's pamphlet and
      post it. That, it would appear to me, is a violation of copyright
      law.

      http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/introduction.htm

      --- In theos-talk@y..., "bri_mue" <bri_mue@y...> wrote:
      > It seems it is rather you who is again trying to misconstrue the
      > whole thing Deveney clearly points out that "Blavatsky" claims (See
      > p. 17) "Note the insistence in the interview that this astral
      > projection was the highest achievment of magic." (referring to an
      > interview with Blavatsky)
      >
      > At least in spite of his misconstruing the text, Daniel now has the
      > booklet, wich given his questions untill recently he didn't even
      > have.
      >
      > Daniel, you obviously have a scanner, why don't you just scan this
      > whole page nr. 17 of Deveney's book so everybody can make up their
      > own mind what is standing there.
      > Brigitte
      >
      > --- In theos-talk@y..., "danielhcaldwell" <danielhcaldwell@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > In one of Brigitte's latest postings, we find:
      > >
      > > > In the "Religio-Philosophical Journal 22/20, May 19, 1877:p. 4,
      > > > Blavatsky wrote that the separation of soul and body is "one of
      > the
      > > > last and very highest achievements of magic."
      > >
      > > Brigitte, did you actually go to the RELIGIO-PHILOSOPHICAL
      JOURNAL
      > > for May 19, 1877 and read page 4?
      > >
      > > Did Madame Blavatsky actually WRITE what you say she did?
      > >
      > > It would appear that you only consulted Deveney's ASTRAL
      PROJECTION
      > > and that you have actually MISREAD footnote 40 on page 17 of
      > > Deveney's work.
      > >
      > > The article in the RPJ for 5/19/1877 [mentioned in footnote 40]
      is
      > > (as Deveney writes) "an article touting the superiority over
      > > occultism of the new phase of spiritualism, exemplified by Cora
      > > Richmond, in which the medium was taken out of her body to view
      the
      > > wonderful scenes of the spirit world."
      > >
      > > Did Madame Blavatsky write this article????
      > >
      > > Daniel H. Caldwell
      > > BLAVATSKY ARCHIVES
      > > http://www.blavatskyarchives.com/introduction.htm
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic