27695Donald J. DeGracia Accepts the 1854 Birthdate for C.W. Leadbeater

    Jul 13, 2005
      Donald J. DeGracia apparently accepts the
      1854 birthdate for C.W. Leadbeater. See his
      online book titled "BEYOND THE PHYSICAL: A Synthesis
      of Science and Occultism In Light of Fractals, Chaos and
      Quantum Theory"

      He writes:

      "Charles Webster Leadbeater (1854-1934), though
      not in his day sharing the same degree of public
      notoriety as Annie Besant, is no less controversial a figure.
      Leadbeater's life is shrouded in intrigue and mystery.
      A recent biographer has attempted to piece together details 1,
      but many mysteries still remain. The whole origins of the
      Theosophical Society, the accounts of Blavatsky, and the roles
      played by Besant and Leadbeater, as well as the life exploits of
      these figures and others (most notably J. Krishnamurti) make up a
      most incredible set of stories. These have been amply documented and
      I have no intention of going into them here 2.
      However, the unfamiliar reader is strongly recommended
      to look into these biographies, if simply for the sheer drama.

      1 Tillet, (1982).
      2 Leadbeater's biography is presented in the previous footnote. For
      biographies of other relevant individuals see: For H.P. Blavatsky;
      Neff, (1971) and Meade, (1980). For Annie Besant; Besant, (1893) and
      Dinnage, (1986). For J. Krishnamurti see; Lutyens, (1975)."

      Quoted from:

      http://pturing.firehead.org/occult/misc-pdf/beyond_the_physical.pdf

      It would be interesting to know DeGracia's thinking about
      Leadbeater's claim to have been in London in 1851 in light
      of the 1854 birthdate he gives above.

      I give below Leadbeater's account of the London experience
      extracted from his book THE MASTERS AND THE PATH:

      Madame Blavatsky has often told us how she met
      the Master Morya in Hyde Park, London, in the
      year 1851, when He came over with a number of
      other Indian Princes to attend the first great
      International Exhibition. Strangely enough, I
      myself, then a little child of four, saw Him also,
      all unknowing. I can remember being taken to see
      a gorgeous procession, in which among many other
      wonders came a party of richly-dressed Indian
      horsemen. Magnificent horsemen they were, riding
      steeds as fine, I suppose, as any in the world, and
      it was only natural that my childish eyes were
      fixed upon them in great delight, and that they
      were perhaps to me the finest exhibit of that
      marvellous and fairy-like show. And even as I
      watched them pass, as I stood holding my father' s
      hand, one of the tallest of those heroes fixed me
      with gleaming black eyes, which half-frightened
      me, and yet at the same time filled me somehow
      with indescribable happiness and exaltation. He
      passed with the others and I saw Him no more, yet
      often the vision of that flashing eye returned
      to my childish memory.

      Of course, l knew nothing then of who He was, and I should never
      have identified Him had it not been for a gracious remark which He
      made to me many years afterwards. Speaking one day in His presence
      of the earlier days of the Society I happened to say that the first
      time I had had the privilege of seeing Him in materialized form was
      on a certain occasion when He came into Madame Blavatsky' s room at
      Adyar, for the purpose of giving her strength and issuing certain
      directions. He Himself, who was engaged in conversation with some
      other Adepts, turned sharply upon me and said: "No, that was not
      the first time. You had seen me before then in my physical body. Do
      you not remember, as a tiny child, watching the Indian horsemen ride
      past in Hyde Park, and did you not see how even then I singled you
      out?" I remembered instantly, of course, and said "Oh, Master, was
      that you? But I ought to have known it." I do not mention this
      incident among the occasions when I have met and spoken with a
      Master, both parties to the interview being in the physical body,
      because I did not at the time know that great horseman to be the
      Master, and because the evidence of so small a child might well be
      doubted or discounted.