1882RE: Theos-World ULT Mysteries

    Jul 12, 2001
      Dear Dr. Tillett

      In answering your questions let me place some "attachments" for
      you to read.

      If placed in the body of an E-mail letter it would be very long.

      I hope this presents no problem to you.

      Briefly:

      1. Mr. Crosbie was not "ejected" from the THEOSOPHICAL SOCIETY at
      Point Loma. He and his wife left. [ I attach some biographical
      notes ].

      2. The "role of the DES" (whatever that may be) would have no
      role in "management of the U.L.T. " [ I enclose an attachment
      giving a note on the organization of the U.L.T.] Further if you
      possess a copy of THE FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHER by Mr. R. Crosbie (I
      will be glad to send you one, [although John Cooper ought to have
      his own copy in his library, as he was an associate of the U.L.T.
      in Sydney, many years ago when my father and mother visited him
      in the winter of 1958/9] you will read there in the last section
      "IN THE BEGINNING" the answers Mr. Crosbie made to his friends
      and associates when the U.L.T. was started.

      3. The "control of the U.L.T. " is made plain in the attachment
      that deals with its organization. To put it paradoxically all
      associates have the same status: "volunteers." They all "own" it
      to the extent that they give their time money and work to its
      program. Yet, none own it in the personal, financial or legal
      sense. Mr. Crosbie made it plain that "It is a name given to
      certain principles and ideas." Those require no physical
      lodgment or ownership as they (as ideas) reside in the minds of
      men and women interested in them.

      To publish books and magazine requires money and editorial work.
      To discuss ideas requires an open field, or any one's home, or a
      building and halls if available.

      You could as well ask: Who owns THEOSOPHY? And I believe the
      answer would be: "No one can own or patent a Law of Nature."
      "No one can place a patent on History." But I would observe that
      in my experience few histories are totally unbiased.

      If you seek the "secret" history of the Theosophical societies
      and their offshoots, then the best I can suggest are the 2 books:
      "The Theosophical Movement --1875-1925" and "The Theosophical
      Movement 1875-1950." I am sure both of these are in John's
      library. The first is now OUT OF PRINT, the 2nd is available. I
      think the price is about $ 7.00. Both are based on articles that
      appeared (written and edited by Mr. Crosbie, I believe) in
      THEOSOPHY Magazine, Los Angeles :
      MASTERS AND THEIR MESSAGE, vols. 2, 3, 4; and Theosophical
      HISTORY Vols. 8 to 10; and then the AFTERMATH series in Vol. 23.

      In the Bombay magazine THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT in Vol. 17 will
      be found an historical review covering several articles it is
      titled THE CYCLE MOVETH. In Vols. 25, 26 will also be found a
      different series titled: THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT : 1875- 1950 ;
      Also THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT IN OTHER AGES, Vol. 35, p. 93.

      In trying to answer you I looked through the INDEX of both
      THEOSOPHY Magazine and THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT and found a few
      articles there on esotericism, which might offer you clues.

      THEOSOPHY

      ESOTERIC AND EXOTERIC Vol. 32 p. 308
      MOTIVE IN ESOTERIC SCIENCE 14 175
      ESOTERIC TEACHING (Sinnett) 38 202
      ESOTERIC VALUE OF CERTAIN WORDS 4 79 421
      HISTORY OF ESOTERICISM 13 385

      THE THEOSOPHICAL MOVEMENT

      ESOTERIC COLLEGES 11 169
      ESOTERIC AND EXOTERIC (B P Wadia) 30 271
      ESOTERIC HISTORY 37 225 285
      ESOTERIC PHILOSOPHY 36 516
      THE ESOTERIC SECTION 2 52
      ESOTERIC THEOSOPHY Answers 11 171
      SEPTENARY PRINCIP. IN ESOTERICISM 33 326

      I am aware of the frustrating difficulty you are presented with,
      and the hope you express that some "secret" will open up.
      However I doubt that there may be anything that remains "secret"
      any longer. I say this because if you have read ISIS UNVEILED,
      The SECRET DOCTRINE and H.P.Blavatsky's articles, you will have
      noticed that there has been reference made to a secret Grand
      Lodge of the BROTHERHOOD OF ADEPTS. And, that this Brotherhood
      has existed ever since the world and our Universe began. [ISIS
      UNVEILED II 98 - 107; S D I xxiii, 122, 516, II 275,281, 215,
      636, 641 The THEOSOPHICAL GLOSSARY 303,

      Until such time as the world of history, science, investigation
      realizes that the HUMAN INTELLIGENCE and CONSCIOUSNESS are
      eternal and immortal ENTITIES and REALITIES, this aspect of
      knowledge will remain a nebulous a blurred "secret."

      Theosophy teaches that LIVING INTELLIGENCES (Human MINDS) that
      have passed beyond the grade of our average human level of
      consciousness exist. It is claimed there that these have existed
      since the most remote past, and will so continue till the end of
      the inconceivable future.

      Read, for instance, the pages of the MAHATMA LETTERS and the
      LETTERS FROM THE MASTERS OF WISDOM. Are they normal
      correspondence? Do they not indicate that outside the rigid (and
      current) lines and parameters of "dead-letter" translations and
      the now narrowed and narrowing walls of Orientalism, and that
      literalism which is called "the Doctrine of the Eye," there is a
      far deeper science and wisdom that unites the knowledge of
      natures' LAWS with the practice of a man's (and woman's) daily
      life? The ETHICO-MORAL area is that which I indicate. For this
      pertains to the development of the Soul and not to the mere
      physical frame that so limits us all.

      There are two areas where our scientific training of rigid
      materialism and literalism in interpreting ancient scriptures and
      current psychological mysteries, do not appear to have any points
      of reference.

      They revolve about the curious notion that Man's SOUL (and
      SPIRIT) are deemed to be IMMORTAL. And that every human is an
      ETERNAL PILGRIM on a journey that leads eventually after many
      incarnations to a goal one can only very dimly define as "sublime
      PERFECTION."

      As an analogy consider our well-established seats of learning,
      and how an academician may pass his whole life in learning a vast
      number of details on a very narrow (or on many) subject(s). The
      process of selection and the devotion applied is always
      individual. The true motive for such effort is known only to the
      individual, though it might be speculated about by his comperes.

      It should be clear that the planes, realms and speculations (to
      be traced down the ages in all philosophies, religions,
      histories, lore, myths, annals, etc...) concerning the CAUSE,
      SOURCE and MOTIVES of Nature's existence and its Laws -- as well
      as the reason for Man's existence, are forever a "secret" for
      those who believe that luck, chance, and blind fate (perhaps) are
      the sole cause of our existence and the diversity of our
      interests. Theosophy in its system includes these parameters and
      adds several more that provide reasonable answers to the
      condition of things as they are.

      At least, that is briefly how things seem to be to me.

      I am sure this will not completely satisfy you, but if you wish
      to ask further, then do write, I will try to answer.

      Best wishes,

      Dallas TenBroeck

      SEE ATTACHMENTS