10618Re: Theos-World The truth about water/diversity

  • samblo@cs.com
    Jan 18, 2003
      Thanks, your idea's about water reminded me of this work called "The
      River and The
      Clouds." I enjoyed it ,maybe you will:

      The River and the Clouds
      Thich Nhat Hanh
      Once upon a time there was a beautiful river finding her way among the hills,
      and meadows. She began by being a joyful stream of water, a spring always
      dancing and
      singing as she ran down from the top of the mountain. She was very young at
      the time, and
      as she came to the lowland she slowed down. She was thinking about going to
      the ocean. As
      she grew up, she learned to look beautiful, winding gracefully among the
      hills and meadows.

      One day she noticed the clouds within herself. Clouds of all sorts of colors
      and forms. She did
      nothing during these days but chase after clouds. She wanted to possess a
      cloud, to have one
      for herself. But clouds float and travel in the sky, and they are always
      changing their form.
      Sometimes they look like an overcoat, sometimes like a horse. Because of the
      nature of
      impermanence within the clouds, the river suffered very much. Her pleasure,
      her joy had
      become just chasing after clouds, one after another, but despair, anger,and
      hatred became
      her life.

      Then one day a strong wind came and blew away all the clouds in the sky. The
      sky became completely
      empty. Our river thought that life was not worth living, for there were no
      longer any clouds to chase
      after. She wanted to die. "If there are no clouds, why should I be alive?"
      But how can a river take
      her own life?

      That night the river had the opportunity to go back to herself for the first
      time. She had been running
      for so long after something outside of herself that she had never seen
      herself. That night was the first
      opportunity for her to hear her own crying, the sounds of water crashing
      against the banks of the river.
      Because she was able to listen to her own voice, she discovered something
      quite important.

      She realized that what she had been looking for was already in herself. She
      found out that clouds are
      nothing but water. Clouds are born from water and will return to water. And
      she found out she herself
      was also water.

      The next morning when the sun was in the sky, she discovered something
      beautiful. She saw the blue sky
      for the first time. She had never noticed it before. She had only been
      interested in clouds, and she had
      missed seeing the sky, which is the home of all the clouds. Clouds are
      impermanent, but the sky is stable.
      She realized that the immense sky had been within her heart since the very
      beginning. This great insight
      brought her peace and happiness. As she saw the vast wonderful blue sky, she
      knew that her peace and
      stability would never be lost again.

      That afternoon the clouds returned, but this time she did not want to possess
      any of them. She could see
      the beauty of each cloud, and she was able to welcome all of them. When a
      cloud came by, she would
      greet him or her with loving-kindness. When the cloud wanted to go away, she
      would wave to him or her
      happily and with loving kindness. She realized that all clouds are her. She
      didn't have to choose between
      the clouds and herself. Peace and harmony existed between her and the clouds.

      That evening something wonderful happened. When she opened her heart
      completely to the evening sky
      she received the image of the full moon - beautiful, round, like a jewel
      within herself. She had never
      imagined that she could receive such a beautiful image. There is a very
      beautiful poem in Chinese: "The
      fresh and beautiful moon is travelling in the utmost empty sky. When the
      mind-rivers of living beings are
      free, that image of the beautiful moon will reflect in each of us."

      This was the mind of the river at that moment. She received the image of that
      beautiful moon within her
      heart, and water, clouds, and moon took each other's hands and practiced
      walking meditation slowly,
      slowly to the ocean.

      There is nothing to chase after. We can go back to ourselves, enjoy our
      breathing, our smiling,
      ourselves, and our beautiful environment.

      From: http://www.allspirit.co.uk/riverclouds.html