Re: [The New York Yankees Fan Club] huh?

  • John Agius
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2002
      Contreras will probably start in AAA, like El Duque
      did. That leaves five starters, two of whom are 40
      years old. Contreras will be in the rotation when the
      first one goes down. I'm betting May 15 at the
      latest.

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • theslick1 <theslick1@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 1, 2003
        I'll be shocked if Contreras isn't in the starting rotation from day
        1. He wouldn't get the kind of jack he's getting to be a Columbus
        Clipper. In fact, if the guy EVER plays for Columbus, someone's head
        will roll.

        --- In thenewyorkyankeesfanclub@yahoogroups.com, John Agius

      • John Agius
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 1, 2003
          Mussina, Wells, Pettitte and Clemens are the top four,
          so Contreras is at best the #5 starter. Since he
          hasn't played pro ball yet and since the 5th guy is
          frequently skipped in April because of off days, it
          makes sense for him to start at Columbus.

          --- "theslick1 <theslick1@...>"
          <theslick1@...> wrote:
          > I'll be shocked if Contreras isn't in the starting
          > rotation from day
          > 1. He wouldn't get the kind of jack he's getting to
          > be a Columbus
          > Clipper. In fact, if the guy EVER plays for
          > Columbus, someone's head
          > will roll.
          >
          > --- In thenewyorkyankeesfanclub@yahoogroups.com,
          > John Agius
          > <john_agius@y...> wrote:
          > > Contreras will probably start in AAA, like El
          > Duque
          > > did. That leaves five starters, two of whom are
          > 40
          > > years old. Contreras will be in the rotation when
          > the
          > > first one goes down. I'm betting May 15 at the
          > > latest.

          http://mailplus.yahoo.com
        • Anthony Armentano
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 1, 2003
            I find it amazing that the ACE and all star from Detroit is the middle reliever!!!!!!!!! and Torre wants him to start this year...

            <theslick1@...> wrote:
            > I'll be shocked if Contreras isn't in the starting
            > rotation from day
            > 1. He wouldn't get the kind of jack he's getting to
            > be a Columbus
            > Clipper. In fact, if the guy EVER plays for
            > Columbus, someone's head
            > will roll.
            >
            > --- In thenewyorkyankeesfanclub@yahoogroups.com,
            > John Agius
            > <john_agius@y...> wrote:
            > > Contreras will probably start in AAA, like El
            > Duque
            > > did. That leaves five starters, two of whom are
            > 40
            > > years old. Contreras will be in the rotation when
            > the
            > > first one goes down. I'm betting May 15 at the
            > > latest.

            http://mailplus.yahoo.com

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          • LG
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
              He won't pitch for Columbus unless he gets rocked in
              spring training.

              --- "theslick1 <theslick1@...>"

              http://mailplus.yahoo.com
            • buxh42a <buxh42a@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                I agree with John. El Duque and Irabu both started out in Columbus
                before pitching in the Bigs. What's Contreras going to do in April
                with all those off days any way, sit in the bullpen and have highly
                stimulating intellectual conversations with Jeff Weaver and Hitchcock?
                He'll be in Columbus just to get some regular work until May. This
                would also give Torre an excuse to give Weaver and El Duque some
                sorely needly pitching time and keep them from rusting. Then when
                Contreras is ready to come up, someone will get a mysterious
                hamstring pull or sore groin or even the fabled tendinitis and
                conveniently go on the DL until the Yanks can make a trade or some
                other type of move.

                Sam
                --- In thenewyorkyankeesfanclub@yahoogroups.com, LG <b0ltfan@y...>

              • LG
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                  I don't think so, Irabu and El Duque started at
                  Columbus because they came over in midseason. Since
                  Contreras will be at spring training from the start,
                  he will start the season with the Yankees unless he
                  proves in the spring that he isn't ready, and then
                  Steinbrenner will be pissed that he is paying 8 mil a
                  year for a guy who's pitching for the Clippers. If no
                  one is traded, Contreras will likely be the #4 or #5
                  starter and Hitchcock, El Duque, and Weaver will all
                  be in the bullpen. Just my opinion.

                  --- "buxh42a <buxh42a@...>" <buxh42a@...>

                  === message truncated ===

                  http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                • maggie mc hugh
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                    i agree w/ lenny. though, i hate to see weaver in the pen; and, i'm
                    not sure el duque will be able to emotionally handle being in the pen.

                    maggie

                    http://mailplus.yahoo.com
                  • John Agius
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                      I don't think Contreras should go to Columbus, he just
                      will go to Columbus. Unless somesone gets hurt in
                      spring training. He's the fifth starter behind
                      Mussina, Wells, Pettitte and Clemens, and the 5th guy
                      usually gets skipped in April because of the offdays.
                      Torre's choice is either go with a strict 5 man
                      rotation regardless of offdays or send him down for a
                      few weeks. I hope I'm wrong, but I think he'll go
                      down.

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 2, 2003
                        I wouldn't want to be Joe Torre if the $8 million man is sent to
                        Columbus and gets some injury that prevents him from ever
                        pitching in pinstripes. Maybe a little bullpen conversation with
                        Weaver and Hitchcock would be the safer course although I think
                        Hitchcock will be gone by April.

                        --- In thenewyorkyankeesfanclub@yahoogroups.com, "buxh42a