Character discussion: The Humans

  • The missing Mighty Orbot
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Ranger Dan and his children, Tommy and Julie...perhaps one of the
      least talked about characters in the series. They weren't with us
      for that long either. They appeared in the specials and in the
      first few episodes of the TV series. They were gone by the end of
      the first season. Personally, I think this was a good move. In the
      beginning, with the humans, the Raccoons were simply animals living
      amongst the humans in a world all their own. Whatever affected the
      humans affected the Raccoons and friends in some way (such as the
      trees disappearing in the Xmas Raccoons). But after the humans were
      phased out, the Raccoons took their place in the world. In other
      words, they were simply not animals living amongst humans but
      animals taking the place of humans.

      So what are your thoughts on Dan, Tommy, and Julie? Did they add to
      the specials? How did they affect the TV episodes that they
      appeared in?
    • orrinus
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
        I didn't really care too much for the humans, but I think it was an
        interesting take on the "normal" cartoon. With the humans present,
        you're forced into a realization that the "animals" are living in the
        world along with the rest of us, and not just in an "imaginary world"
        where only the animals exist.

        It's kind of like this...

        Humans are always following animals around documenting their lives and
        displaying it on TV as nature shows. Now, what if animals were doing the
        same - secretly studying & observing us and reporting it back to the
        animal kingdom, but only in a way that they understand? Both groups
        living on the Earth, but existing in different worlds.