Re: [thenewraccoons] The Raccoons 30th Anniversary

  • Ian Sylvester
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
      Hear, hear!

      From: Jennifer <kitty_true_blue@...>
      To: thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Thu, 18 November, 2010 6:45:28
      Subject: [thenewraccoons] The Raccoons 30th Anniversary

      Next month will mark the 30th anniversary of the day the series first came to light. It was on December 1, 1980, in the premiere of "The Christmas Raccoons" that we got to know Bert, Ralph, Melissa, Schaeffer, Cyril Sneer and his son Cedric. As the years went by, more new characters were added, including the likes of Mr. Mammoth, Mr. Knox, Lisa Raccoon, Bentley Raccoon, George Raccoon, Nicole Raccoon, and so much more. But still, it was Bert's crazy antics and his love for peanut butter that made the Raccoons series the success it was in its day...until it was cancelled.

      Now that the episodes are on YouTube and elsewhere, we can fall in love with the series over and over and over again. So, here's to the cast of "The Raccoons"--happy birthday to them, and many more to come.

      Hear, hear!

    • carlos
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 18, 2010
        Congratulations to the raccoons for your 30th anniversary ^0^

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 25, 2010
          Cool. Just think, 30 years this December! Of course, the series didn't arrive until 1985, but The Christmas Raccoons is where is all started. You know, Kevin Gillis has said in several interviews that it was originally intended as a one-off! Imagine that?

          By the way, I hate to be a fuss, but was 'The Christmas Raccoons' broadcast on the 1st of December? Several internet sites list the original broadcast as 1st December, but I came across an article of the Ottowa Citizen from 13th November 1980, which states that the broadcast is (it was written in November) scheduled for the 17th December in Canada.

          http://news.google.co.uk/newspapers?id=b64yAAAAIBAJ&sjid=c-4FAAAAIBAJ&pg=5261,4826957&dq=christmas+cartoon+latest+success+for+tv+performer+ottawa+citizen&hl=en

          Is it the 1st or the 17th that is the correct airdate? The 17th is closer to Christmas, which would make more sense, but there's always rescheduling of TV shows, and the 1st is mentioned more times (plus, the 1st is closer to now!)