Season 2 Review

  • drawah64
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
      Okay, first off, remember that there might be spoilers in here, and
      that these are just my opinions. Feel free to debate these ideas, or
      agree, or whatever. ;) So without further ado, "Here I go again"...

      SEASON 2 REVIEW

      Double Play
      Bert and Cedric put competion over their friendship in order to try
      and win a contract with a pro baseball team. An alright episode, but
      fairly predictable. The plot has been seen in quite a few other
      children's shows, but most of them did it after the Raccoons. I
      thought this episode was pretty average, and rather forgettable. On a
      side note, this is the first one I saw after several years, and I'm
      willing to bet that it re-introduced many others to the series as
      well, because it's the first episode on the DVD.
      6/10

      The Sweet Smell of Success
      Cyril Sneer convinces Bert to do commercials for him, by tempting him
      with fame and stardom. I really enjoyed this episode, and it's a
      pretty original plot, too. They played one of my favourite songs
      again (for the last time in the series, unfortunately), and Bert sang
      it! The scenes with the band were really cool, I would've liked to
      see the characters play music more often in the series. Plenty of
      classic moments in this episode, and it's one of the most humourous
      episodes in the series. The theme music for Cyril's commercials pops
      up every so often from now on, as background music.
      8/10

      Blast from the Past
      Bert finds a helicopter in a junkyard, and Cyril is worried about an
      old business partner coming after him. Melissa plays a major part in
      this episode, which is kind of refreshing because she doesn't often
      get a chance to shine. The song "This Time" was really nice, and it
      was sang by the Dion Bros. or something, I've gotta check the credits
      later. Anyway, this episode was fairly good.
      7/10

      Power Trip
      Another familiar plot-- "old person turns out to be youthful and
      adventurous, even moreso than the young people". Done to death in
      many TV shows. Aunt Gertie was mildly annoying, because her character
      was so cliche'd. At least Cyril's subplot was pretty cool, and funny.
      It was also amusing seeing Bert try to accomodate her when she first
      arrived. I'm 100% sure I saw this one when I was little, as I
      remember seeing the opening and ending scenes with the pigs involving
      the electricity.
      7/10

      Stop the Clock
      I haven't gotten a chance to rewatch this one unfortunately, but I
      vaguely recall seeing it when I was younger, on Teletoon.

      The Artful Dodger
      Clever title. I thought this one was alright, and I also saw it when
      I was younger too. Of course, when I say that these episodes
      are "average" or "alright", I mean by the Raccoons' standards;
      they're still much more entertaining than most TV shows, for me at
      least. ;) The scene with Bert and Ralph cooking was hilarious, and
      again, Cyril's plotline turned out to be clever and interesting.
      7.5/10

      Last Legs
      Whew, alot of overused TV plots in this season! Let's see, what is it
      this time-- Due to a misheard diagnosis, a character thinks they're
      dying, so everybody bends over backwards to accomodate their final
      days. At least it was done well. Quite a sad episode (when it was
      supposed to be!), and yet it still managed to have that typical
      Raccoons carefree, humourous atmosphere to it.
      8.5/10

      Read No Evil
      At first, I didn't like this one much, but then it grew on me quite a
      bit. It was an interesting plot, with some cool drama and action.
      Herman's home was so cool, I want a place like that! This is another
      episode that was very emotional, and at one point it made my sister
      cry because she felt so sorry for Herman (during the song "New
      World").
      8/10

      Courting Disaster
      Lady Baden-Baden, that hefty hen, is introduced, in this very good
      episode. It's one of my favourites, and for all you continuity buffs,
      it sets up the marriage of Knox and Lady Baden-Baden, which is seen
      in many future episodes. There are lots of great comic moments here,
      as well as truly sad, touching parts with Cedric and Cyril, such as
      when Cedric is making the cake, and Cyril feels bad about the absence
      about the lack of a mother figure for Cedric. You've gotta feel sad
      for Cyril when he trudges away sadly and thinks "I'm... only a
      father." The ending was really nice-- Cyril and Cedric walk off,
      talking about what Cedric's mom was like. Kind of sad though, as they
      way they talk about her, it sounds like she died or something (my mom
      died too, so it holds special significance for me).
      9/10

      Time Trap
      Ugh. A clip show-- Come on! Yes, this is the first of several
      unnecessary clip shows in the Raccoons. At least it's handled alright-
      - the Raccoons had a knack for taking unoriginal, or in this case,
      lame ideas and executing them very well. Or at least, as good as you
      can get with a clip show. At least it wasn't just like "remember that
      time when...", they did manage a logical, if outlandish, way of doing
      it. This way really does spoil the episodes if you haven't already
      seen them though, as it recaps the climax of the plot, instead of the
      typical clip show procedure of just showing stand-alone comedic
      scenes.
      4/10

      Many changes occured between Season 1 and 2, moreso than between any
      other seasons. Most notably, Susan Roman replaced Linda Feige as
      Melissa Raccoon. Ms. Roman seems to be the most popular Melissa among
      the fans, as she really gave the character a personality, something
      which I have to admit Linda Feige didn't do. She also just has a nice
      voice which is perfectly suited to Melissa's character.
      Another change was Lisa Lougheed replacing Luba as the female
      vocalist. Curtis King Jr. seems to have stayed on as the male
      vocalist though (although his name is not known by most fans, it is
      shown during the credits a few times). This season had different
      animation which was more subtle and less over-the-top, and the
      character designs are slightly more refined.
      Something to look out for when watching the series is that Bert's
      head changed its shape over time. In the first season, it looked like
      it did in the specials, so sometimes it almost looked like it had a
      triangular shape, whereas by the final season it was more of an
      upside-down triangle-- larger at the top than at the bottom, which
      sometimes looked silly (look at "Promises, Promises" from Season 5).
      This season had alot more emotional drama compared to Season One,
      which mostly featured physical drama (compare "Last Legs" with "The
      Intruders"), which wasn't better or worse-- just different. In
      general, the following seasons were the same as Season 2.
      With the exception of "Stop the Clock", this season was released on
      DVD, as apparently Kevin Gillis chose to release this one first
      because he felt it was better than the first season.
      Overall rating: 8.5/10
    • davidmonid31584
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2006
        --- In thenewraccoons@yahoogroups.com, "drawah64" <drawah64@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        > Something to look out for when watching the series is that Bert's
        > head changed its shape over time. In the first season, it looked
        like
        > it did in the specials, so sometimes it almost looked like it had a
        > triangular shape, whereas by the final season it was more of an
        > upside-down triangle-- larger at the top than at the bottom, which
        > sometimes looked silly (look at "Promises, Promises" from Season 5).
        > This season had alot more emotional drama compared to Season One,
        > which mostly featured physical drama (compare "Last Legs" with "The
        > Intruders"), which wasn't better or worse-- just different. In
        > general, the following seasons were the same as Season 2.
        > With the exception of "Stop the Clock", this season was released on
        > DVD, as apparently Kevin Gillis chose to release this one first
        > because he felt it was better than the first season.

        Hi once again another decent review you written here with true
        honesty.

        I haven't seen 'Stop the Clock' but I have read about it, that's the
        episode which introduces us to Bentley Raccoon and the pigs confuse
        him for being Bert after seeing him drink some of Bert's peanut
        butter soda and believe that the soda will make you younger, so they
        give it to Cyril in hopes he'll win a race against Bert.

        That episode was released on video here in the UK along with 'The
        Artfull Dodger' by The Video Collection (which later re-released as
        part of their Children's Club range) both videos are now deleted and
        hard to come by, but do pop up on eBay from time to time with fearce
        bidding taking place if there is a tape for auction.

        I agree with you on the fact that Season 2 has some emotional
        episodes added to it (Courting Disaster obviosly being one of them),
        but as well as comical moments as you pointed out.

        Oh and about those Mp3's you put up on that file sharing site,
        another member on this group said he too was having trouble with
        accesing your Mp3's, so you're probably better off putting them on a
        website where they will be more easily accesible for fans, just
        thought you like to know.

        Can't wait for your opinion on further episodes from the series.

        David.